City Poppy Appeal - 4th November - collectors needed

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by tich23, Sep 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The City Poppy Appeal collection will this year be on Thursday 4th November, with a morning and afternoon session. After the success of last year (£60,000 raised), this year can only get bigger with the inclusion (it is hoped) of Canary Wharf and various additional West End tube stations.

If you're prepared to assist with waving a bucket in peoples noses along with likeminded souls, please drop me a PM with your preferred location/station and your email and I will forward on

Dress is overcoat and medals for those partaking and apparently the MOD is approving wearing of uniform for those still serving.

Thanks in advance and any assistance appreciated

2. Meant to add that there will be similar events in Oxford, Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool and Norwich, so if you can assist there rather than London, it would be appreciated.
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I am on the list already.

To reinforce the message:

This is a really good way to support the RBL - the amount of money raised (and aimed for this year) is extraordinary for a 1 day surge. I was at the Bank last year, and the amount of £20s being crammed into the collecting tins was eye watering. A couple of hours at each end of the working day with a lunchtime session (beer, not just collecting) in Leadenhall Market. All you have to do is stick your medals in your suit pocket and pin them on before you rattle the tin.

Please help us if you can.

4. If I get a new contract in a suitable location count me in. Any plans to do anything in Reading?
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Contact the County manager for Berkshire, they will give you details of local organiser:
    0118 976 1551
    berkshire @
  6. Duke, have had PM from pararegtom and suggested he might like to join you at Bank along with the others from your TAC

PRT - if you see this, drop Duke a line and he can give you more detail

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I will be working at Cannon Street for this one, but all collectors welcome there or at any of the other stations. I have not got anyone else from the TAC confirmed yet, but have no doubt some will be along like last year.
  8. Cannon St was TBC on email WngO so didn't see you in there!
  9. tich23- Job hunt not going well so unless anything changes I should be able to stand to as I am otherwise a gentleman of leisure!
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Sorry the job hunting is not going so well - make sure you bring some cards with you as there will be no shortage of people to "network" with!

If you let me know by PM what station you would prefer to work at and some contact details I will forward them on to the relevant station commander. Tich is doing Monument, I am doing Cannon St but there are many others that may suit you better.
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Last minute reminder....

All major train and Tube stations in London will have poppy collectors at them from 7am to 9am, and 5pm to 7pm tomorrow. If you can spare a few hours to help out, stick on a unit tie, put your medals in your pocket ready to pin on and get involved. Just make yourself known to the station commander - ask any of the collectors to point them out.

If not, any London based Arrsers need to get some cash in their pocket ready to get mugged on the way onto work!
  12. Good evening at Paddington, aided by several Coldstreamers. There's nothing like the bearskin to unlock those wallets!

Also liked the Station Commander sending a member of Network Rail away when he asked why one of the Guardsmen wasn't displaying a visitor pass with words to the effect of "this is the Queen's uniform, it is not to be augmented or decorated..."
  13. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

The count for the morning session only (excluding Canary Wharf) is over £95,000.

Add in the through the day/lunchtime and evening rush hour takings and that target of £150,000 is looking very good.

Well done all!
  14. Email update just received - 23.30 - total is £135,000 and the count of the evening collection hasn't started!!

Best look of the day was the chap at Moorgate who asked me the way to Finsbury Square - he really didn't appreciate being told that he could have directions in exchange for a donation - miserable git - he gave way eventually, so did I, should have sent him to Smithfield in hindsight.

Undoubtedly chaps in uniform bring the cash in.
  15. Is this just a one day show?