City & Guilds Senior awards in Leadership & Management

Just applied for this City & Guilds Award:

City & Guilds are able to to offer awards of Licentiateship, Graduateship and Membership to members of HM Forces in recognition of professional development and experience.

You have to submit a A2 page CV for awards

SNCO's

Licentiateship (LCGI) Sub Sgt
£50

Graduateship (GCGI) Staff Sgt (CSGT) + 2 yrs in Sub Rank &WO2
£80

Membership (MCGI) WO1
£90

Officers

Licentiateship (LCGI) On completion of RMAS Commissioning Course
£50

Graduateship (GCGI) Captain +2 yrs Sub Rank
£80

Membership (MCGI) Maj + 2yrs Sub Rank Also to LE Capt's who were Sub WO1's for 2 yrs or more

Note that SLC and ELC MAY NOT be used with this award

Speak to Army Accreditation Administrator, HQ DETS(A), Trenchard Lines, Upavon, PEWSEY, Wilts SN9 6BE Tel: 01980 618732 Mil: 94344 8732

Sorry stand corrected about the WO2

6952grumm said:
Just applied for this City & Guilds Award:

City & Guilds are able to to offer awards of Licentiateship, Graduateship and Membership to members of HM Forces in recognition of professional development and experience.

You have to submit a A2 page CV for awards

SNCO's

Licentiateship (LCGI) Sub Sgt
£50

Graduateship (GCGI) Staff Sgt (CSGT) + 2 yrs in Sub Rank
£80

Membership (MCGI) WO1 + WO2 + 2yrs Sub Rank
£90

Officers

Licentiateship (LCGI) On completion of RMAS Commissioning Course
£50

Graduateship (GCGI) Captain +2 yrs Sub Rank
£80

Membership (MCGI) Maj + 2yrs Sub Rank Also to LE Capt's who were Sub WO1's for 2 yrs or more

Note that SLC and ELC MAY NOT be used with this award

Speak to Army Accreditation Administrator, HQ DETS(A), Trenchard Lines, Upavon, PEWSEY, Wilts SN9 6BE Tel: 01980 618732 Mil: 94344 8732
still wont get a job in civy street

For REME guys there is also the option for membership of the City & Guilds in Engineering Leadership and Management.....details from The REME Arms School.

Prices went up 1st Oct. I know the MCGI is now £95.
Cheers
Scratch

I've got the LCGI but I fear that it's a qualification that means sod all in civvy street if you intend using it to get a job.

I received a GCGI few months ago and it is recognised outside the mob. Several companies have shown considerable interest in the qualification and it does place you well above people that don't have it. Well worth getting if you can.

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
the_matelot said:
I've got the LCGI but I fear that it's a qualification that means sod all in civvy street if you intend using it to get a job.
That depends, I've been approached about a job and they want me to develop and lead a team, so whilst I have oodles of technical skills/experience and qualifications, on this occasion its my leadership/mentoring and relationship building skills that they're after.

All pure BS I know, but if it gets me the job then I really don't care.

But does it recognise the difference between Leadership and Management when used in a military context?

The two are very different and, sometimes, do not transfer between uniform and civilian attire.

Gents the main criteria for any job out here is being able to demonstrate your leadership and your managment skills.

The LGCI/GCCI etc are better than nowt and they are a question at interview you can blow people away with.

BAE Systems are recruiting Team Leaders now, get on the site baesystems dot com or PM for an inside track if you have any tech background

If you not tech but have FM exp and a Project Management Qual get in touch there are jobs here. pay reasonable, good benefits although personal take is the chance of promotion is limited due to dead mans shoes-but hey if you used to kill people for a living that should be easy to sort out:) apologies if that trivialises the job for htiose still in, keep your heads down fellas/girls

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
mediumwhiteamericano said:
But does it recognise the difference between Leadership and Management when used in a military context?

The two are very different and, sometimes, do not transfer between uniform and civilian attire.
Yes, I think it does - I agree entirely leadership and management are very different (but similar) - the role I have been approached for needs both. I'm not selling myself as anything special either, I think a lot of people I know and work with have good leadership and management skills - at all ranks/rates.

A2_Matelot said:
mediumwhiteamericano said:

Yes, I think it does - I agree entirely leadership and management are very different (but similar) - the role I have been approached for needs both. I'm not selling myself as anything special either, I think a lot of people I know and work with have good leadership and management skills - at all ranks/rates.
Yes but leadership and management WITHIN the Armed Forces is a very different beast to the one in Civie street. In the Armed Forces people follow because they have to. In civie street they will only follow if they respect the person.

Thats what I mean.

I'm asked about this one quite a bit and you're better offgetting it in the last year of service. It isn't a qual, but it is recognition of your ability to operate at a given level. It looks better if you have a continuously developing CV over a period of years too rather than bugger all until the 20 year point.

Whether in or out Leadership and Management remain the same.

Leadership is where the respect aspect might come into play-it often does.

Management remians the scientific application of processes to achieve objectives, you can be a great manager and a poor leader, equally you can be a poor manager but an absolutely brilliant leader.

Of course in this day and age both are ever closer linked.

Perhaps it is because I work in an organisation that is the major player in the Uk with regards to defence, but everyone I come into contact asks if I know anyone who is leaving the forces as they are seeking the blend of intelligent leaders/proactive managers, we all have a myriad of skills but above else gents ladies we have a proven track record under conditions many cannot even hope to appreciate.

Two of my team asked me to run through my military career the other week, they were aghast at how much I had done, I didn't think it anything special because it was the norm - for us all.

Good Luck-stay safe

got my Membership (MCGI) sorted about 2 weeks before I got out, it took just over a week to arrive after I sent my CV and cheque in.

Does look good on your CV, and potential employers do know what it is and what it means.