City and Guilds for R.E.M.E. Vehicle Mechanic class 2 from 1973

Hi Guys,

Trying to find out what C+G would have been awarded in 1973 for VM(A)2.

C+G want £44 to search without a a guarantee they will find anything.

Thanks in advance

Interesting question, I served a 5 year apprentiship as a mechanic, attending college two days and three evenings a week, the rest of the week was at work. Sat the C and G exam in 72 and passed.

I joined REME in 72 and they said that the Army did not recognise the C and G qualification and thus if I wanted to be a VM would have to do the training at Bordon. Feck that said I and became a Clerk in REME.

Now if the Army did not recognise the C and G full certificate in 72 I wonder if the institute recognised the Army qualification?

Also for the C and G certificate I feel you would need to have passed the VM class 1 course.

Last edited:
That is interesting. My memory tells me I gained a C+G in 1973 after training at Bordon. (I also joined in 72).
But my memory is not quite what it used to be so possible that it is just lying to me.

That is interesting. My memory tells me I gained a C+G in 1973 after training at Bordon. (I also joined in 72).
But my memory is not quite what it used to be so possible that it is just lying to me.
Get them to do a search, I did this a few years back and they sent me a copy of my certificate. It appears all their records are held on servers in Germany nowadays, at least that is where my Copy Certificate was posted from.

May-June 1972. " Part 1 C&G in Motor Vehicle Mechanics' Work".
This was after a couple (4?) weeks study in the Kremlin at TTA Bordon.
Hope it helps.

That may well be what I'm looking for, but my old memory is telling me there was a 3 figure number beginning with 7.............................may be absolute rubbish.