Citizenship - Public vote

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bandalong, May 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Swiss have it sorted I reckon.

I especially like the bit that the final approval comes from the votes of the citizens from the community.

Candidates for citizenship must have lived in the country for at least 12 years - they must prove that they can speak the language, and that they understand Swiss laws and culture.

What is more, being born in Switzerland does not bring an automatic right to citizenship.

Secret votes

In Switzerland, people wanting to be Swiss must apply through their local community. In many towns and villages, the final hurdle to citizenship is often the approval of local residents at a town hall meeting, or, in the past, by secret ballot.

BBC Article
  2. Bollocks I was born here i'm a citizen therefore,move to Switzerland if it's that good and maybe just maybe in 12 years you can be a yodeller too.
  3. The swiss are also smaller and is nothing like UK, you can compare two completely different cultures and expect what works in one would work in the other...

doesnt work that way, as it obvious with the reasons why there are so many wars going on...
  4. So, until you pass your test you have no citizenship at all? Doesn't sound right...
  5. How to obtain Swiss citizenship
    Home > Swiss Residency > Residence permits > FAQ > General questions > Citizenship

Swiss citizenship can be acquired through what is called naturalization.
    To become naturalized, you need to have resided in Switzerland for at least twelve years, three of which occurred within the five years prior to the request. Time spent in Switzerland between the ages of 10 and 20 years counts double.

Phase one: federal authorization
    The request is to be made to the Aliens Police in the municipality of residence. From there, it will then be sent to the Federal Department of Justice and Police, who will give a principle authorization if the following conditions are met:

* You are integrated in the Swiss community.
    * You are accustomed to Swiss way of life and practices.
    * You comply with the Swiss legal system.
    * You in no way compromise the internal or external security of Switzerland.

Since Switzerland is a federal country, authorization must then be obtained from the canton and the municipality.

Phase two: cantonal and municipal decisions
    The canton and municipality of residence can add further conditions and set the cost of acquiring citizenship before approving it. Conditions vary greatly from one region to the next. Some municipalities apply rather open policies, while others will go as far as granting nationality by means of a local population vote. Cost also varies according to municipality and canton.

Your child will not obtain Swiss citizenship automatically. Swiss citizenship is mainly acquired by filiation or naturalization (see below). This is referred to as jus sanguinis, or “law of the blood”, and is often applied in countries with a Germanic legal tradition. A child born on Swiss soil is thus granted no particular birth-rights.
    This is the exact opposite of jus soli, or “law of the soil”, which is applied in the United States and other countries with an Anglo-Saxon legal tradition. In these countries, children are automatically citizens of the nations in which they are born.
  6. You still have your original citizenship, just not Swiss.

I doubt Switzerland has many (if any) people residing who are classed as 'stateless'.
  7. Yeh, but you wrote: "being born in Switzerland does not bring an automatic right to citizenship."

If you are born in Switzerland but not into Swiss citizenship, then you don't have any citizenship.

8. There's a lot can happen in 12 years. Usually paid for by the tax payer, but that another thing.
  9. How do you propose that the Swiss method of citizenship would work in the UK?

Because their "Law of Blood" sounds a lot like what the BNP is about...

NB: I'm not saying the Swiss are racist but i am saying introducing a law like that now would cause series racial problems the UK have been trying to remove from their image. The Swiss have had that law for centuries, and they are all fine with it just how it is.
  10. My bolds.

You are reading to much into it mate.

'Law of Blood' means Jus Sanguinis which is practiced in many countries including a modified form in UK as I just found out!

It seems since 1983 being born in the UK does not now automatically grant you citizenship, so I admit my original point is now somewhat moot.
  11. They are not racist. Just discerning on who gets call Switzerland home.

Any system would be better than the "Come as you are" system in place here.

We even let terrorists live here and find work for Plane hijackers.... at an airport.
  12. Well they did have previous vocational experience. Square pegs and all that.
  13. Why don't you think it's right ?
  14. Looks like a case of the people exercising some democracy. Good on them.
  15. I meant, being born in Switzerland does not bring an automatic right to citizenship doesn't sound right. When a child is born, he/she has to have citizenship, surely! My kids were born in UK and at the age of 1 had their British pasports, so they can travel abroad. If you don't have citizenship of the country you were born in, what citizenship can you have? And without any citizenship, rights granted by which country do you have? There is no logic to it.