Citizenship Classes

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gun_Empty, Jan 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=BLOGDETAIL&grid=P30&blog=yourview&xml=/news/2007/01/22/ublview22.xml

Apologies if this has been posted before but I read this article and would be interested in ARSSers opinions.

To my mind this is yet another case of the nanny state and a symptom of abrogation of parental responsibility. It would appear that schools have plenty of time to provide road safety lessons, citizenship lessons, equal opportunity awareness etc. Schools are clearly doing so well at teaching literacy and numeracy that there must be huge room in the curriculum for this clap trap.

Is this necessary? What should would you include in these classes?

2. Didn't we used to call this sort of thing 'History lessons'?

I suppose it's to assist the flip flop heads, ethnics and all the other dross allowed to enter the country to 'feel at home'.

Bring back the Grammar School ethos and bin this vote winning method of education we currently have.

Discipline and respect are the foundations of a civilised culture.

3. I hate those 'Citizenship Days' they are a load of bolloks.

They basically just say 'don't be racist or sexist' for 1 day every 4 weeks.

They manage to find the most steriotypical people ever, for example in a lecture on lessies a woman walked in. She had short black spiky hair and was....fat. She sat down and said

"I'm Janet and i'm a lesbian. I'll tell you a bit about myself, well i like rugby.."

Oh dear how steriotypical can you get?

4. Hear hear.