Citizenship change for Commonwealth members of Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hansvonhealing, Nov 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wednesday 22 November 2006 10:44
    Home Office (National)

New citizenship rights for members of the Commonwealth serving in the British armed forces

Commonwealth soldiers serving in the British Armed Forces abroad can now gain UK citizenship under a change to the rules announced by the Home Office today.

To reflect the commitment and sacrifice made by serviceman from outside the UK in the British forces, they will now be eligible to apply for citizenship despite having been stationed abroad for the majority of their service.

Under the new rules they will no longer be required to complete five years residency in the UK (three years if married to or the civil partner of a British citizen) before applying to become a British citizen. Instead time spent serving anywhere in the world will be counted towards the residency requirement.

This will help the Sputh Africans in particular, after their country passed a mercenary law.
  2. About time, too.

3. congratulations to the government for doing the right thing...shame their morale clock appears to be running slow again though.
  4. Bloody right, the Aussies make it even simpler - after 3 months service, you must apply for citizenship. The residency requirements are only 3 months in Australia too. Civvies must be here for 2 years currently, but this is being upped to 4 years possibly.
    All those commonwealth soldiers who serve Her Majesty deserve citizenship more than the spongers who don't/won't work for a living.
  5. I hope this isn't yet another New Labour half thought out idea that will bite us in the bum. If this hasn't been aligned with THE TRIPARTITE AGREEMENT, 1947 , with regard to the Gurkhas, it could seriously p**s off the Indians.

Please tell me a proper grown-up has been involved.
  6. A quick query on a not entirely unrelated of my commonwealth colleagues has told me that his RAO clerks have been taking the Passports of CW soldiers at the end of their contracts and cancelling their visas; are they allowed to do this? :?:
  7. I am suprised that we have not had the usuall callsigns on this forum barking their usual rehtoric on immigrants. Strangely quiet
  8. I think if you look at the usual suspects they usually support CW members serving in HM Forces and acknowledge their commitment. Stop trying to resurrect the race card again :roll:

9. I am really pleased for our commonwealth soldiers to be able to become a british citizen :D
  10. Also helps out the 800 or so South Africans serving in the UK forces, who are currently classed as mercenaries by their home government. If they have dual citizenship, then they arent breaking any laws....
  11. Does this apply to TA as well?

Great news, especially for the S Africans. We must have lost half a dozen over the last couple of years, largely due to this issue. A real shame as they were really keen blokes, up for anything.

If only that were true intli. Read the thread, thats why I made the comment
  13. Yes, they should be doing this because once people leave HM Forces they are no longer exempt from immigration control, and the exemption stamp should be cancelled. If they have spent four years or more in the Forces before discharge, they will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (settlement) in the UK, but they must apply within two years of discharge.
  14. Thanks HH that was my understanding; however, my colleague was under the impression that only the immigration service was able to do this.
  15. Good news.