Citizenship change for Commonwealth members of Armed Forces

Wednesday 22 November 2006 10:44
Home Office (National)

New citizenship rights for members of the Commonwealth serving in the British armed forces

Commonwealth soldiers serving in the British Armed Forces abroad can now gain UK citizenship under a change to the rules announced by the Home Office today.

To reflect the commitment and sacrifice made by serviceman from outside the UK in the British forces, they will now be eligible to apply for citizenship despite having been stationed abroad for the majority of their service.

Under the new rules they will no longer be required to complete five years residency in the UK (three years if married to or the civil partner of a British citizen) before applying to become a British citizen. Instead time spent serving anywhere in the world will be counted towards the residency requirement.

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail.asp?ReleaseID=244546&NewsAreaID=2

This will help the Sputh Africans in particular, after their country passed a mercenary law.

hansvonhealing said:
Home Office (National)

New citizenship rights for members of the Commonwealth serving in the British armed forces

Commonwealth soldiers serving in the British Armed Forces abroad can now gain UK citizenship under a change to the rules announced by the Home Office today.

To reflect the commitment and sacrifice made by serviceman from outside the UK in the British forces, they will now be eligible to apply for citizenship despite having been stationed abroad for the majority of their service.

Under the new rules they will no longer be required to complete five years residency in the UK (three years if married to or the civil partner of a British citizen) before applying to become a British citizen. Instead time spent serving anywhere in the world will be counted towards the residency requirement.

This will help the Sputh Africans in particular, after their country passed a mercenary law.
About time, too.

Litotes

congratulations to the government for doing the right thing...shame their morale clock appears to be running slow again though.

Bloody right, the Aussies make it even simpler - after 3 months service, you must apply for citizenship. The residency requirements are only 3 months in Australia too. Civvies must be here for 2 years currently, but this is being upped to 4 years possibly.
All those commonwealth soldiers who serve Her Majesty deserve citizenship more than the spongers who don't/won't work for a living.

I hope this isn't yet another New Labour half thought out idea that will bite us in the bum. If this hasn't been aligned with THE TRIPARTITE AGREEMENT, 1947 , with regard to the Gurkhas, it could seriously p**s off the Indians.

Please tell me a proper grown-up has been involved.

A quick query on a not entirely unrelated matter.one of my commonwealth colleagues has told me that his RAO clerks have been taking the Passports of CW soldiers at the end of their contracts and cancelling their visas; are they allowed to do this? :?:

I am suprised that we have not had the usuall callsigns on this forum barking their usual rehtoric on immigrants. Strangely quiet

drain_sniffer said:
I am suprised that we have not had the usuall callsigns on this forum barking their usual rehtoric on immigrants. Strangely quiet
I think if you look at the usual suspects they usually support CW members serving in HM Forces and acknowledge their commitment. Stop trying to resurrect the race card again :roll:

hansvonhealing said:
Home Office (National)

I am really pleased for our commonwealth soldiers to be able to become a british citizen :D

Also helps out the 800 or so South Africans serving in the UK forces, who are currently classed as mercenaries by their home government. If they have dual citizenship, then they arent breaking any laws....

Does this apply to TA as well?

Great news, especially for the S Africans. We must have lost half a dozen over the last couple of years, largely due to this issue. A real shame as they were really keen blokes, up for anything.

intli said:
drain_sniffer said:
I think if you look at the usual suspects they usually support CW members serving in HM Forces and acknowledge their commitment. Stop trying to resurrect the race card again :roll:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=38375/highlight=commonwealth+soldiers.html

If only that were true intli. Read the thread, thats why I made the comment

Letterwritingman said:
A quick query on a not entirely unrelated matter.one of my commonwealth colleagues has told me that his RAO clerks have been taking the Passports of CW soldiers at the end of their contracts and cancelling their visas; are they allowed to do this? :?:
Yes, they should be doing this because once people leave HM Forces they are no longer exempt from immigration control, and the exemption stamp should be cancelled. If they have spent four years or more in the Forces before discharge, they will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (settlement) in the UK, but they must apply within two years of discharge.

drain_sniffer said:
intli said:
drain_sniffer said:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=38375/highlight=commonwealth+soldiers.html

If only that were true intli. Read the thread, thats why I made the comment
I remember the thread from earlier in the year, however, scanning though again I see what you mean by the comments of some of the mongs that posted at the time, tending to link CW service with an automatic surge in immigration! Point taken :wink:

Do You Qualify?...

Section 329, INA

This section applies to members of the U.S. Armed Forces who currently serve or have served in active-duty status during authorized periods of conflict as outlined in the INA (WWI; September 1, 1939-December 31, 1946; June 25, 1950-July1, 1955; and February 28, 1961-October 5, 1978) or any additional period designated by the President in an Executive Order.*

* Recently, the President signed an Executive Order identifying September 11, 2001 and after as an authorized period of conflict.

This is what it looks like in the US (why anyone would want to be a Spam is beyond me :D ). In fact, they've even created a provisor for illegal immigrants who somehow make it through the system into the services - they get citizenship too. Basically, you can apply as soon as you arrive at your first posting (not that applications are ever processed immediately).

The new UK regulations are a great step forward. Hopefully, they'll move closer and closer to the US. I can't remember, does a Commonwealth soldier get posthumous citizenship if he is killed on duty (thus allowing his wife and kids to apply, too)?

Passed-over_Loggie said:
I hope this isn't yet another New Labour half thought out idea that will bite us in the bum. If this hasn't been aligned with THE TRIPARTITE AGREEMENT, 1947 , with regard to the Gurkhas, it could seriously p**s off the Indians.

Please tell me a proper grown-up has been involved.
Gurkhas are not Commonwealth members of the armed forces. However, if you check out the link you will see that it does mention Ghurkas, and the Tripartite Agreement.

Sounds like good news on an issue which has often been discussed here on ARRSE.

Oh hell - Dammatt will be really upset now.....!

G

Goku

camolynx said:
hansvonhealing said:
Home Office (National)

I am really pleased for our commonwealth soldiers to be able to become a british citizen :D
We’d best shepherd them away from you or they might change their minds, head cases like you hardly show the rest of us in a good light.