citizenship and army service

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by mike_pasek, Nov 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, I live in america and I want to join the british para or marines, but im not sure what to do. I am going to go to college and work there for the 5 years that are required for the citizenship.

and just a personal question which training is tougher the paras or the royal marines? which would you perfer and why.

2. Mmmmmm you asked the question, Para or Marines tougher...... you ain't gonna get that back in the box.

3. Mmm!

4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Why would you come here to join up?
    Whats wrong with your own armed forces?

5. sorry well who has the harder training thats what i meant i guess both are extremely hard.

i want to live in britain for rest of my life. and if i am going to move there then why not join the military.

sorry if you guys dont understand i just want to be a career soldier since i was little.

6. :D :D Having been a Para hard training is needed, but the Royal Marines and their commandos are into hard training as well. If I was in your position I would be joining the American forces they pay better, give better after service,medical and other benefits to their armed services, in the U.S. I would join the Air force, not poor bloody infantry, even the navy would be better, if you become a kit carrier, in the forces, loaded down with your gear on your back you will soon wish you were flying around enjoying yourself. good luck :lol: :lol:

7. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

8. :lol: node!!! ok ill remember that :) well thanks for the advice. para would probally be way cool cause they get to jump out of planes and such :)

9. Hmm difficult to answer - you need to make up your own mind.

Some info to help you:

At least one woman has passed the Commando course.
    A 55 year old civilian has passed the Commando course.

This is not the case for the Para's - They just change into women as they approach 55 :D

However of benefit for you there is a Platoon in the Para's that accepts young Americans before the 5 year criteria. You need to ask for 3 Para Mortar Platoon at the Careers Office. You'll be in so quick your arse won't touch the ground :wink:

10. Is it? In America alot of servicemen are on the poverty line believe it or not. When deployed they get alot more money.

The other perks of being an American serviceman though are legendary. All sorts of concessions, respect from the average civvie (clapped in at airports, allowed through the baggage points first, etc), etc.

11. As an Ex-Bootie, waiting with baited breath for you appearance on RR, Mike. :roll:
    Some questions:
    Why are you so eager to leave the US?
    Have you been accepted at a UK Tertiary Institution?
    Do you meet the requirements of the Department Of immigration/Home Office (who doesn't :wink: )?
    Have you checked the criteria required for foreign nationals wishing to join UK Armed Forces?
    Do you know that British Airborne forces are now restricted in their parachute training?
    Have you even graduated from Junior High School?
    Paras/Marines whose best? Horses for courses.
    Oh well I bit :oops:
    PS

12. Mike, I suggest you read through the threads on this forum. There are LOTS of poeple born and lived all their life in the UK who will be getting out to live in other Countries as soon as they can.
    Of the countries to emigrate to atm, the UK would be about 12 on my list.

13. yes i've graduated from junior high school.
    im currently applying to kingston college in london.
    im pretty sure i meet the requirments for dept. of immigration, and about the criteria required for foreign nationals to join military i havent found any info on it, but i contacted the embassy and they said that i can join up when i get my citizenship.
    what do you mean by restricted in parachute training?
    I just want to leave the US, UK looks like a very good place to live and raise a family, and they have best trained military forces.

dingerr- about the 3 para motar platoon, are you serious? why would they need men for the motar platoon?

14. I will take the chance that this isn't a waaah! and answer.

I am no longer current so my advice is a bit out of date. However, it would be to wait until you arive in the UK and then go visit the local recruiting office. A lot of them are tri-service now so hopefully you will be able to get all the info/brochures you require from a single visit.

Take your time before deciding who to join and maybe widen your choice to more than just he infantry. BTW, I am not saying there is anything wrong with the infantry. There isn't, I am just pointing out that there are hundreds of different jobs in the millitary.

Don't listen too much about the best units from people in the carers office. They are all cap-badged and have a justifiable loyalty to their own regiment/service/corps.

As to which is harder WRT paras/marines, I doubt there is a definitive answer. They are both bloody hard and I expect "body type" is more likely to make one harder than the other than training specifics. Paras tests tend to be faster running/less weight carried in comparison to marine tests (well, at least that seemed to be the case while I was still in).

Anyway, whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

BTW. For a brief look at real blokes training look here.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=M7cVsJkr6yw

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zBhb2Tvb_uE

Note. The para one was made about 25 years before the marine one, so a direct comparison is unwarranted.

15. thank you so much for the info very much appreciated. I will do as you say and go speak to the recruiters to get all the brochures when i get there in june 08.

Also in the video of the royal marines theres a man from the carribean this brings great news for me! though by the time im in boot camp ill probally be the oldest reqruit(23 years after my 5 years getting citizenship)

well thanks again