Citizens Arrests at parliament

#1
Ooohhhh please let it be so!


"Live interview on LBC 97.3fm now. Professor Chris Knight, from the Government of the Dead protest group, says there are lots of police standing around looking bemused and, at the moment, just letting them get on with it.

Video link to Parliament Square webcam.

UPDATE: Sorry, the webcam's been turned off again (as it was for much of the Tamil protest). When last seen ten/fifteen minutes ago there was a sizeable crowd."



http://callingengland.blogspot.com/
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#2
Please, please, please!
 
#6
all censored by the IT Nazis here :(
 
#10
This could get very interesting - however I was always led to believe that a citizen was only empowered to arrest at, or just after the crime/offence had taken place. Those citizens that arrested retrospectively may find themselves in more bother than they bargained for...actually that's probably the publicity the arresters want!

However - completely support the concept of doing so, it what other way can they be made answerable having denied us their moral duty in calling a General Election.
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#11
FARMBOY said:
This could get very interesting - however I was always led to believe that a citizen was only empowered to arrest at, or just after the crime/offence had taken place. Those citizens that arrested retrospectively may find themselves in more bother than they bargained for...actually that's probably the publicity the arresters want!

However - completely support the concept of doing so, it what other way can they be made answerable having denied us their moral duty in calling a General Election.
Quoting from my (very old) 'Powers of Arrest book. " Any person may arrest any person found committing or reasonably suspected of committing an arrestable offence" Not sure if that is still current, or whether we have gone over to a 'pay-as-you-dodge' system.

However, a sure-fire way to prosecute the MPs is to get them to trip a speed camera, or, eat a biscuit whilst driving. Then they will suffer!:)
 
#12
FARMBOY said:
This could get very interesting - however I was always led to believe that a citizen was only empowered to arrest at, or just after the crime/offence had taken place. Those citizens that arrested retrospectively may find themselves in more bother than they bargained for...actually that's probably the publicity the arresters want!

However - completely support the concept of doing so, it what other way can they be made answerable having denied us their moral duty in calling a General Election.
If the so called Law (Police) do not seem to be bothering to even look into these crimes that have been committed then what choice do the common people have? (Except for a general election but that would not have the corrupt MP's in front on the courts) :x :x
 
#13
"Quoting from my (very old) 'Powers of Arrest book. " Any person may arrest any person found committing or reasonably suspected of committing an arrestable offence" Not sure if that is still current, or whether we have gone over to a 'pay-as-you-dodge' system. "

I believe it is still current - but the catch is that it has to be an "arrestable offence", ie one for which a police officer can arrest without warrant and for which the relevant law does not include a specific power of arrest for that offence. In my far off days in blue, that meant the offence had to carry a maximum sentence of five years of more for a first offence, and most sdidn't.
 

Mongo

LE
Kit Reviewer
#14
A post on the Facebook page:
"Not many MPs sighted but great fun had by all. The c***s were obviously ashamed to tun up for work! Mister Mayhem heroically threw himself bodily in front of the Wintertons' Land Rover, but the police, the filth, dragged him off (then checked under the bonnet for bombs we might have lobbed!)

thanks to all who came to do our citizen's duty, especially to those who came from Portsmouth to be on time at the House of Commons. We will be back to smoke out those MPs!"

My bold. It sounds like nowt happened, unfortunately.
 
#15
bumroll said:
FARMBOY said:
This could get very interesting - however I was always led to believe that a citizen was only empowered to arrest at, or just after the crime/offence had taken place. Those citizens that arrested retrospectively may find themselves in more bother than they bargained for...actually that's probably the publicity the arresters want!

However - completely support the concept of doing so, it what other way can they be made answerable having denied us their moral duty in calling a General Election.
If the so called Law (Police) do not seem to be bothering to even look into these crimes that have been committed then what choice do the common people have? (Except for a general election but that would not have the corrupt MP's in front on the courts) :x :x
True, but unless this happens en mass and there are too many citizens making arrests to be arrested themselves all that will happen is those attempting to arrest MPs will end up in a tatty little magistrates court on a rainy tuesday afternoon in three months time charged with improper use of the powers of arrest afforded to a Citizen. They might become martyrs but I doubt it.
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#16
abeaumont said:
"Quoting from my (very old) 'Powers of Arrest book. " Any person may arrest any person found committing or reasonably suspected of committing an arrestable offence" Not sure if that is still current, or whether we have gone over to a 'pay-as-you-dodge' system. "

I believe it is still current - but the catch is that it has to be an "arrestable offence", ie one for which a police officer can arrest without warrant and for which the relevant law does not include a specific power of arrest for that offence. In my far off days in blue, that meant the offence had to carry a maximum sentence of five years of more for a first offence, and most sdidn't.
I think in my day it was seven years. But that may have been inflation.

And, reaching further back into the dark corners of the mind, I believe theft, fraud and obtaining goods or services by deception were 'arrestable'. If so, we could crack on!
 
#17
old_fat_and_hairy said:
abeaumont said:
"Quoting from my (very old) 'Powers of Arrest book. " Any person may arrest any person found committing or reasonably suspected of committing an arrestable offence" Not sure if that is still current, or whether we have gone over to a 'pay-as-you-dodge' system. "

I believe it is still current - but the catch is that it has to be an "arrestable offence", ie one for which a police officer can arrest without warrant and for which the relevant law does not include a specific power of arrest for that offence. In my far off days in blue, that meant the offence had to carry a maximum sentence of five years of more for a first offence, and most sdidn't.
I think in my day it was seven years. But that may have been inflation.

And, reaching further back into the dark corners of the mind, I believe theft, fraud and obtaining goods or services by deception were 'arrestable'. If so, we could crack on!
In these enlightened times all offences are arrestable, gets you on the DNA database see.
 
#18
They were pretty quick to arrest that lass who was reading out the names of the British casualties in GW2 by the Cenotaph. No approval sought for a demo in the vicinity of Parliament.

Many here thought that was wrong (even though many disagreed with her overall aims), but the Tamil thing is a disgrace.

Get rid of Brian Haw as well, and disinfect the place.
 
#19
whiffler said:
They were pretty quick to arrest that lass who was reading out the names of the British casualties in GW2 by the Cenotaph. No approval sought for a demo in the vicinity of Parliament.

Many here thought that was wrong (even though many disagreed with her overall aims), but the Tamil thing is a disgrace.

Get rid of Brian Haw as well, and disinfect the place.
I quite like Brian Haw, mostly cos a) He's fairly honest and b) cos the Government managed to waste time passing a law to ban him, only to find that they couldn't use the law on him!! Therby showing just howthin skinned and stupid they are
 

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
#20
Fairly easy to charge 'Breach of the Peace' I think. Likely outcome could be being bound over to keep the Peace for say £200. But one has to consent to being bound over - normally under threat of worse nasties. Or maybe a caution. Anything to sweep it under the mat. Depends whether this bod digs in and insists on being charged but with plod about as witnesses he probably wouldn't be able to get the satisfaction of the MP having to give evidence.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top