Citizens Arrests at parliament

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Jun 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ooohhhh please let it be so!

"Live interview on LBC 97.3fm now. Professor Chris Knight, from the Government of the Dead protest group, says there are lots of police standing around looking bemused and, at the moment, just letting them get on with it.

Video link to Parliament Square webcam.

UPDATE: Sorry, the webcam's been turned off again (as it was for much of the Tamil protest). When last seen ten/fifteen minutes ago there was a sizeable crowd."

http://callingengland.blogspot.com/

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Please, please, please!

3. Link not working for me. Try this one.

4. Thats odd, nothing on the BBC, I wonder why?

5. all censored by the IT Nazis here :(

6. Novel, I'll give him that much.

7. The Parliament Square webcam is back on, but I can't say there's much happening!

8. This could get very interesting - however I was always led to believe that a citizen was only empowered to arrest at, or just after the crime/offence had taken place. Those citizens that arrested retrospectively may find themselves in more bother than they bargained for...actually that's probably the publicity the arresters want!

However - completely support the concept of doing so, it what other way can they be made answerable having denied us their moral duty in calling a General Election.

9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Quoting from my (very old) 'Powers of Arrest book. " Any person may arrest any person found committing or reasonably suspected of committing an arrestable offence" Not sure if that is still current, or whether we have gone over to a 'pay-as-you-dodge' system.

However, a sure-fire way to prosecute the MPs is to get them to trip a speed camera, or, eat a biscuit whilst driving. Then they will suffer!:)

10. If the so called Law (Police) do not seem to be bothering to even look into these crimes that have been committed then what choice do the common people have? (Except for a general election but that would not have the corrupt MP's in front on the courts) :x :x

11. "Quoting from my (very old) 'Powers of Arrest book. " Any person may arrest any person found committing or reasonably suspected of committing an arrestable offence" Not sure if that is still current, or whether we have gone over to a 'pay-as-you-dodge' system. "

I believe it is still current - but the catch is that it has to be an "arrestable offence", ie one for which a police officer can arrest without warrant and for which the relevant law does not include a specific power of arrest for that offence. In my far off days in blue, that meant the offence had to carry a maximum sentence of five years of more for a first offence, and most sdidn't.

12. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

A post on the Facebook page:
    "Not many MPs sighted but great fun had by all. The c***s were obviously ashamed to tun up for work! Mister Mayhem heroically threw himself bodily in front of the Wintertons' Land Rover, but the police, the filth, dragged him off (then checked under the bonnet for bombs we might have lobbed!)

thanks to all who came to do our citizen's duty, especially to those who came from Portsmouth to be on time at the House of Commons. We will be back to smoke out those MPs!"

My bold. It sounds like nowt happened, unfortunately.

13. True, but unless this happens en mass and there are too many citizens making arrests to be arrested themselves all that will happen is those attempting to arrest MPs will end up in a tatty little magistrates court on a rainy tuesday afternoon in three months time charged with improper use of the powers of arrest afforded to a Citizen. They might become martyrs but I doubt it.