Citizen Science Apps

i remember many years ago that SETI used to have a programme you could put on your computer, and it would assist in scanning a tiny bit of the sky in the background.

Seeing as I now effectively carry a computer in my pocket, that is on 24/7, with plenty of processing power, does any arrser know of any similar apps that could be downloaded?

I found one that was a game assisting with Alzheimer’s research (Sea Hero), but there doesn’t seem to be much else that a cursory google can offer - the ones I did find seemed to be out of date/finished.

Any ideas?

SETI still exists and hey recently emailed me with their current status and thanking for my efforts, even though I haven’t run their software for years

With phones there is less chance of any benefit as handsets don’t tend to have maths processors to sit number crunching in the background, and running an active background app will tend to drain phone resources & battery power etc.

There has been a beta for SETI on android in the past so there may be something

i remember many years ago that SETI used to have a programme you could put on your computer, and it would assist in scanning a tiny bit of the sky in the background.

Seeing as I now effectively carry a computer in my pocket, that is on 24/7, with plenty of processing power, does any arrser know of any similar apps that could be downloaded?

I found one that was a game assisting with Alzheimer’s research (Sea Hero), but there doesn’t seem to be much else that a cursory google can offer - the ones I did find seemed to be out of date/finished.

Any ideas?
Android is a possibility but not iOS.

Android FAQ - BOINC
Download BOINC client software (last one in the list)

Good question.

I had the SETI screensaver for many years and wondered if there was a mobile/tablet offering.

I had a look around a few years ago and it looked as if there was an iPhone version in the making.

SETI app taps your smartphone to hunt for E.T.

There is nothing in the App Store apart from something that comes under entertainment, so is presumably a game.

Because the PC version was designed to use all of the available CPU cycles the effect on phone battery life would probably be catastrophic (my iPhone battery is already abysmal).

I guess one could be made to run only when charging.

Have a look at Crayfis (no H).

Runs on Android and IOS and detects cosmic rays.

Your phone is a detector
Modern smartphones contain high-resolution cameras with digital sensors which are sensitive to the particles in a cosmic ray shower. They know where they are (GPS) and can upload their data (wi-fi). Most importantly, there are 1.5 billion active smartphones spread across the planet. Essentially, this detector has already been deployed; all that is missing is the app to collect the data

The app
The CRAYFIS app operates in a manner similar to a screensaver. When the phone is connected to a power source and the screen goes to sleep, the app begins data-taking. No active participation is required on the part of the user after the initial download and installation.

The science
Read the paper.

Observing cosmic rays at higher energies and higher rates than ever before will let us:

• Explore the spectrum at world-record energies
  • Study the origin of these mysterious particles
  • Help us understand what cosmic object is accelerating them
Crayfis: The app that turns your phone into a cosmic ray detector.

Seems cool. Instead of one or several BFO detectors they use millions of little ones.

Update on this.

The Crayfis application does not seem to be available. Been watching them for a while but it seems to be a case of jam tomorrow or possibly sometime in the future.

However, the more prosaically named Cosmic Ray Detector is available now on the App Store.

Detect Cosmic Rays on your iPhone

Thought I would give this a bump as there are two citizen science apps recommended in today’s ST.

Dreamlab - leave your phone plugged in and this app crunches data overnight to help researchers at Imperial College to analyse cancer treatments. Apparently capable of doing in three months what would take a single high-end processor 300 years to complete.

HTC POWER TO GIVE - ditto on overnight running. Projects analysed include rice yield analysis, deadly parasite eradication etc.