Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Citations

I got presented with a bit of paper signed by the then defence secretary, presented by some air officer I never heard of before or since. Not sure who kicks it all off though, when you say you were awarded the MiD who told you?

Sorry I should have been clearer, the bit of paper only says that you've been graciously awarded by the queen blah blah, not what for. The gazette is generally only gonna be one or two lines. I had a much fuller picture from local newspapers, there was no citation or anything like that but it was in 1978 :)
Anyway well done for whatever it was, they don't just give them away.

Was awarded in op honours & awards Sep 2012..didn't receive Oak Leaves for about 18 months. My ma has a clipping from the gazette.
Just didn't get anything written and my g'dad was sure there would be something, just haven't got round to finding out.

Thanks for the replies

Sorry I should have been clearer, the bit of paper only says that you've been graciously awarded by the queen blah blah, not what for. The gazette is generally only gonna be one or two lines. I had a much fuller picture from local newspapers, there was no citation or anything like that but it was in 1978 :)
Anyway well done for whatever it was, they don't just give them away.

The reason why I referenced the LG is that the OP can locate his LG reference and then ping MoD requesting sight of the original citation: even as a modern award, it is possible that it missed the LG and wasn't formally announced. If such is the case, then there will be a retrospective LG announcement.

I was more interested in having a keepsake for my mum, have a rough account of events that my boss wrote up. Would have been nice to have around but oh well. Thanks

I was more interested in having a keepsake for my mum,
I was single and living on base at the time I got mine, my mother wanted it and she still has it hanging in the lounge at their home.
I don't think it did my service career any harm but mentally wasn't good, bit of PTSD although been a few years since I had the bad dreams etc. Took me over 20 years to actually talk about the event if anyone asked and I'm still reluctant.

Not necessarily: I was presented my MiD by GOC NI; I received a hard copy of my citation, but given the unit I was serving with at the time - I was never gazetted either.

To be frank it's never really bothered me, having it hasn't opened any doors, neither has the lack of public citation seemingly closed any.

It's quite probable that yours has now been gazetted: once peace had broken and been settled for some years, it was believed that enough time had passed for those awards for personnel of . . . . errm . . . . other units could be publicly acknowledged, though I understand what you're saying, chap.

It's quite probable that yours has now been gazetted: once peace had broken and been settled for some years, it was believed that enough time had passed for those awards for personnel of . . . . errm . . . . other units could be publicly acknowledged, though I understand what you're saying, chap.

The most important bit about it is, that, come Remembrance Sunday I don't have to put my hand in my pocket

New Friend: Here let me buy you a drink and you can tell me how you "won*" that.
Krazy_Ivan: Mine's a double [with "cheers easy, c*nt" muttered under my breathe].

* - F*cking "won" indeed, I put in a good half hour's work for it...……...

Last edited: