CIS Alert State

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by TA_sig, May 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the current system for CIS alert states? I think it might have been CANEL or some such that uses the old colour system (IE White, Black, Red etc). Is this still in use or have they gone with following the latest system of 'Heightened', 'Severe' etc?

If it's a new system has anyone got a link for reference, or can provide the full set of terms?

2. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

still canel states m8
  3. Mate,

Not often that I'm stumped but in this case, being RD has definitely put me at a disadvantage as I haven't got a clue what you are on about.

To make me feel more worthwhile and involved though (and just in case you needed them) I have included some pictures of PC's.

4. Cannel (double "n") state. Controlled by JSyCC I believe. Far too many within the senior bit of the CIS community are rather ignorant of it. Tut tut.
  5. When its high, do you need to put an armed guard on the HDD, build a low wire entanglement around the PAN Data Node?
  6. From the JSyCC website...

The MOD Alert State for Defence Communications and Information Systems (CIS) is at:
    CANNEL State : BLACK on the 4 May 2007
  7. Also, from JSP 440 Annex H to Part 3, Section 1, Chapter 3....

Edited due to the nature of the document this has come from.

8. Are you sure you should be publishing an extract from a RESTRICTED publication on the WWW? I'm not sure if the meaning of the alert states is Unclas, however there is some very basic info on the internet at It's a bit long-winded but Slide 13 mentions Cannel states in brief.
  9. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Steady now - it is bank holiday weekend and I wouldn't want you lot peaking too early......wooo, i bet having a pint with you lot is a laugh a minute.
  10. Whilst JSP 440 is, as a whole, carries a RESTRICTED protective marking, those elements, at paragraph level, which are RESTRICTED are indicated as such.

The information I posted is not protectively marked and is therefore Unclassified.
  11. Cheers all, wasn't sure if my 440 was up to date (it's a little old I think) - just with Bikini being ditched thought that maybe CANNEL might have fallen inline. Obviously not yet, will have to get that changed then ;)
  12. That part of JSP440 is PM - the clue is in the bit where it says "(RESTRICTED)"...

The term CANNEL is itself an UNCLAS codeword.
  13. To be pedantic, whilst the Chapter is, as a whole, RESTRICTED, as is the Annex, the individual para quoted is not protectively marked (other paras are).
  14. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Gents can I please remind you of the need for Operational Security.

Unless something is from an open source as in the scum or news of the screws.

Then do not take the risk of posting from a RESTRICTED document.

many thanks

*Edited for being a spelling mong*
  15. Indeed, it's better to be safe than sorry. A civil servant was today jailed for leaking the contents of a memo by Blair (saying Bush is a mong), so it just shows that they will shaft you, given half a chance.