Circumstantial use of inhaler

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Minimum6Characters, Mar 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I expect this question has been asked before, but having searched I can't find anyone in the same circumstances as me.

I'm applying to join the Int Corps as an OpMI.

Last June I had a motorcycle accident which resulted in a collapsed lung. After I left hospital, my lung was obviously still weak and a month or so following my discharge I got a mild infection, which was quickly remedied with an inhaler.

I don't have asthma - though I used to as a child - and since the infection last November I've had no further problems.

Advice on here seems mixed. Will being prescribed the inhaler delay/void my application? And while I don't expect an easy ride just because of my accident, will the circumstances surrounding the prescription be taken into account?

Thanks,

2. Pun not intended. :D

3. ACIO

Ask them

4. Thanks Gears, I have. They can't give any medical advice, no doubt to do with health and safety. I'd have to consult an army doctor for a response, and I'll only get that when I go to selection.

I'd kind of like to know what to expect before I get my hopes too high, and as this isn't diagnostic but a matter of policy I hoped someone on here might be able to shed some light.

5. When you go for your medical, make sure that you have ALL the documentation pertaining to your accident on you (if possible including x-rays). It's often the case that hospital or practice staff say they'll forward everything and then they don't. If you have it all together and available, you can save yourself a lot of waiting around.

MsG

6. The problems with selection usually arise when the inhaler use is linked to Asthma. There is a bar on selection if an individual has used an inhaler for asthma within a certain number of years. I think it is 4yrs but am prepared to stand corrected.

Now, I can't guarantee that this will help, but you might find it useful to get a letter from your doctor categorically stating that the inhaler was not used for asthma. Might help if he adds that there has been no evidence whatsoever of any asthma since your childhood record.

As I say, I can't be certain this will do the job, but it's worth a try.

Peeby

7. Thanks fella,

My med form makes clear that the asthma was more than four years ago, (you're right, it is four years,) and that the inhaler was for an infection linked to the accident. Will this satisfy at selection or in your experience should I still get a second letter? I don't fancy paying out £65 for nothing.

Also, do you know if there's a time limit after any inhaler prescription, or theoretically could I get one a week before selection and still be okay?

Thanks again all,

8. I don't fancy paying out £65 for nothing.

MOD pays!

I would get the second letter as said above, your doctor clearly stating that the inhaler was not for asthma, and that there is no record, get him to check you over too, to state there is no current sign of asthma.

After that, I doubt there would be much more you could do, and it will be in their hands to decide

If the decision doesnt go your way, surely you can appeal it anyway

Good luck mate

9. Hey just thought i wud add, not sure if this is helpful in your circumstance coz its not related to asthma. I had asthma as a child and continued to get inhalers until 4 yeasr ago, i didnt need them an never took them. Really only got them to please my mother in case I had an unsuspecting attack.

I have been given medical clearance to attend my main board, but I will have to take an extended lung function test- vigorous exercise breathing dry air. This is due to me having a history of wheeze, ie. i have had wheezing symptoms in the past. The way this may relate to your inhaler use and infection is whether it was prescribed because you suffered from wheeze or chest tightness during your infection. So you may be asked to do the same. Passing this test I presume would give you medical clearance to join. I don't want to confuse matters more but just thought i would let you know my situation considering I have had inhalers in the past.

Hope this helps!

10. As far as I know, if you have been PRESCRIBED an inhaler, even if you never use it, then you wait for four years. I assume the logic is that the doctor thought you might need it, therefore you are 'at risk'.

I am amazed at how many people pick up inhalers to keep their parents happy! Am not having a dig, but it does mean an incredible amount of waste going on. Medications should be regularly reviewed by the appropriate medical personnel and only prescribed if actually needed.

Folks: If you don't think you need your medication anymore, and you're not using it...let your doctor know!

11. Deferred - December 2012.

12. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Hard luck mate - at least there is an option there in the future.

13. It's a funny (peculiar .. not ha ha) thing .... asthma.
    A friend's son had it, as a kid.
    I gather he was OK throughout his teens.
    I was under the impression that she had ceased to worry about him.
    Then, as a seemingly healthy, strapping young lad, at the age of 21, he had an attack ...... and died.

14. I agree with Bovvy. Volunteering as a First Responder some years ago I was in the control room as the comms room staff listened to a 'recovered asthmatic' dying on the end of the phone (by no means a rare occurance apparently). Unless you are passed medically as no longer asthmatic KEEP THE INHALER NEARBY. Oh, and don't join the army.

15. Right, but I don't know what I'm going to do waiting for four years.