Circular saws - advice needed

Slime

LE
As already mentioned above.
If he wants to cut large sheets a track saw will be good, or even a table saw for smaller work.

If he will be cutting narrower pieces or cutting boards to length, or pieces to specific angles then a sliding mitre saw could be just the job…….and safer.
If you do consider a sliding mitre or mitre saw just remember you will need a double bevel saw as he is left handed. Most mitre saws are single bevel so only really work well for right handed people.

Edit.
Just grabbed some random pics, just in case the bevel function isn’t familiar.

Single bevel saw, the saw only tips one way from the vertical.
EC3E0F20-B6B3-4620-A575-314F85026811.jpeg

Double bevel saw, the saw will tip both ways, so has an angled end to both sides of the fence.
BFF3DBC3-C4A4-4A97-8AE5-A95C66BBB9DF.jpeg

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
@MrBane ... Calling Mr Bane... Your expertise is needed

Not today I'm afraid. Had a brick wall between the kitchen and dining room took down yesterday. My builder dealt with it. Plan was for a 2.3m concrete lintel to support, but it turns out it wasn't a supporting wall anyway.

Three hours work has cost me £880. If I'd known it was just a dividing wall I'd have gone for it, but the architect and the engineer never bothered to look, they just assumed.

Sigh.

If he’s never used one before, it doesn’t matter - just learn to use what’s in front of you. Most saws eject on the right, so stand on the other side… Sometimes you will find a situation where you have to change hands for access - well that happens to everyone. Maybe look at something that will mount on a table ( if you have the room). My lathe has a 6” saw table on the end and this, with a bandsaw, do just about everything. I have a large circular saw, but that only comes out now for large sheets, big stuff like sleepers and fence posts are now dealt with by a 12” cordless chainsaw.
Short version: Buy good quality and learn how to use them.

Not today I'm afraid. Had a brick wall between the kitchen and dining room took down yesterday. My builder dealt with it. Plan was for a 2.3m concrete lintel to support, but it turns out it wasn't a supporting wall anyway.

Three hours work has cost me £880. If I'd known it was just a dividing wall I'd have gone for it, but the architect and the engineer never bothered to look, they just assumed.

Sigh.

Well that’s better than you assuming and getting it wrong.

Looking to the future, a pair of fingerless gloves will make a nice Christmas present.

They'll keep his hands warm while providing good dexterity.

I know what you lot were thinking.

Forget the saw, buy him three socks and a bottle of fabreze.

My best mate’s a left-hooker, and is also a builder. His circular saw is a Makita worm-drive, and he has no issue with it. I’ve used it, and as a righty, no issue either. I believe they’re available as both corded (as is my mate’s), or cordless. Cordless just not a goer for me; my setup is a different brand.

"Circular saws - advice needed"

Avoid the square ones

G4Star

Old-Salt
Some great ways to get injured though as nearly as fun as chainsaw injuries.
1634733540060.jpeg

or
images

Perhaps his sisters want one of these?
1634733637700.jpeg

Thanks for all the advice - very much appreciated.

The plan now is he goes to B&Q and finds out which style - left or right sided/table mitre saw - that he 's most comfortable with. He them tells me the result and I take it from there.

As an alternative, I could always buy him a bottle of 30-year single malt and a test drive of an Aston Martin and Aerial Atom instead. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for all the advice - very much appreciated.

The plan now is he goes to B&Q and finds out which style - left or right sided/table mitre saw - that he 's most comfortable with. He them tells me the result and I take it from there.

As an alternative, I could always buy him a bottle of 30-year single malt and a test drive of an Aston Martin and Aerial Atom instead. Decisions, decisions.
Green label is okay blue is smooth and a saw well it creates plenty of sawdust;)

Latest Threads