Circular saws - advice needed

Some advice please.

#1 Son has "hinted" that he would like a circular saw as a present for a forthcoming significant birthday when he will be 'officially old' according to his sisters.

The problem is he is very left-handed (he should return his right hand to stores as "surplus to requirements") and as circular saws are either right or left sided I've been trying imagine how he would position himself when using one.

So if there are any left-handed circular saw users amongst the members of this forum, your advice would be very much appreciated.

Meh! He’ll only get it wrong once.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Makita

Not sure but there might be one in there new 40V Range, get that over the 18V, and the 18V over the Corded, there is also 2x18V I think

anglo

LE
Some advice please.

#1 Son has "hinted" that he would like a circular saw as a present for a forthcoming significant birthday when he will be 'officially old' according to his sisters.

The problem is he is very left-handed (he should return his right hand to stores as "surplus to requirements") and as circular saws are either right or left sided I've been trying imagine how he would position himself when using one.

So if there are any left-handed circular saw users amongst the members of this forum, your advice would be very much appreciated.
I'm ambidextrous,{It doesn't hurt} I use a circular saw either handed with no trouble,
just buy him a decent cordless saw, he'll have no trouble using it

Better safe than sorry

1634674124804.jpeg

Unless he is working on building sites, I would recommend not buying a battery powered one. Instead get a mains powered one with a brushless motor. The larger the blade size it can take the thicker the wood he will be able to cut with it. Also the more powerful the motor - the harder the wood, especially when it comes to cutting stuff like oak and wood harder than that, batteries tend to die on these woods fast.
Have a look on Screwfix - they have a decent range, also look at your budget and how much do you expect to spend? Do you want to be able to get spares for it easily etc.

Some advice please.

Cant help you with your son being a devil spawn leftie.

Makita

Not sure but there might be one in there new 40V Range, get that over the 18V, and the 18V over the Corded, there is also 2x18V I think
But the above is a good choice. I use mine both left and right handed at times, only point to drive home is prepare and move the job to operate safely. Just like a firearm, finger off the trigger until you going to cut especially if you get a cordless.

Some advice please.

Slap him around a bit in a grandfatherly kind of way - then show him this.

GREEN WOODWORKING TOOLS

Proper saws, Made in England .
Does not need electricity.

Learn that - then move on( if you need to )

Slime

LE
For me as a left hander, the issue has just about nothing to do with which side I view the blade from.
The issue is the same one many tools present, in that they are designed to be turned on or off by right handed people.

Just have a look at how many 115/125mm angle grinders have the on/off switch on one side rather than in the centre at the top.

Having used loads of circular saws I just got used to a dangerous looking ‘start the saw upside down then flip it‘ routine.

One thing that does matter though is which side the wood chips are ejected from the saw, one side will keep him clean, the wrong side with see him in a nice coat of wooden shavings :)

What type of cutting will the saw be used for?

Slime

LE
it looks like you can get circ saws that will fit on a track (like fitting a hand-held drill to a stand) or 'plunge saws' (more like a router )
I suppose it depends on what it'll get used for.

Buy the toy one, wrap it. Put that in another box, wrap it, repeat, repeat, repeat.

When you pass him his gift, say things like “don’t know why i bothered wrapping it, you know what it is”, build the tension.

When he eventually gets to the saw say “well? Do you like it?”

Act offended if he starts to take the piss out of your gift.

Place the real saw somewhere he can find it afterwards with a little not ‘Happy Birthday son’.

It’ll be a long remembered birthday.

If you really want to know whats best to get him speak to a local tradesman.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
General DiY around the house and as directed by his missus.

.......and 'yes' this thread is going as expected.

Thinking about Home DIY, if he's using sheet goods often enough, get a Track Saw, instead (40V Makita), and encourage him to buy a Sliding Compound Saw too, the SCS, will allow him to deal with lots of finikity angles in studs and so on, the Track Saw will allow him cut sheet goods with repeatable accuarcy and straight lines.