Cimea (River)

Wonder if anyone is planning to visit the Crimea for 150th anniversary of Balaklava (or, indeed Alma or Inkerman) this autumn. I'm in the area and am planning to go back there in Oct, though probably not for the exact anniversary of The Charge.

Apart from the beardy types and museum botherers, is anyone keen to meet up on the battlefield?

Be careful some of the old and bold from Regiment visited the Alma and found themselves in a little bit of bother with the security boys. Battlefield tours are a bit of a mystery to the locals.

A WO2 from the old 3 Int took me on a tour of East Berlin, he pointed out our KGB tail for the day who was apparently a KGB Major. Chap had bleach blond hair and wore a crushed denim safari suit. Easiest man to spot in a crowd I've ever seen.

Are you sure it wasn't Michela Strachan?

Elve, put the gin down and pay attention. I was referring not to our funghal friend's warrant officer, put to his KGB tail. And I think you would have to agree that there is every chance Michela was a Stalinist.

She does indeed, but she keeps hers in a different place to Stalin.

Well it's rather bushier than its Fascist equivalent. And red in colour, obviously. Fortunately it is quite rare nowadays, since the Wall has come down.

Ah! La minge naturelle. Living proof that there is a God, and that he is a thoughtful sort of a fellow, after all he did make womens pubes soft and curly so they don't poke you in the eye.

Unless of course she has a Saddam tache - decidely spikey, and often termed as a 'MMD'. More than capable of putting out the eyes of the unwary.

If you run a quick Google search for Ms Strachan, you find this as your starter:

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/ complete with picture at the top (she's the one on the left).

It appears that the compiler of said website may subsequently have found a life, since the page hasn't been updated since 1996. Either that or he was imprisoned/sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Now that would stand out in a crowd. Surely you must recognise her as your KGB tail now, mushroom?!

Vaguely in keeping with this thread, it's the 150th anniversary of 49 (Inkerman) Bty R.A. (currently serving as 49 (Inkerman) Headquarters Bty with 40 Regt in Topcliffe) this Nov 5th. A reunion is being held at Walsall.

Any old boys, ex members of 49 Bty would be most welcome. Reunion details can be had from their site at http://www.49inkerman.co.uk/

gobshoite said:
Vaguely in keeping with this thread, it's the 150th anniversary of 49 (Inkerman) Bty R.A. (currently serving as 49 (Inkerman) Headquarters Bty with 40 Regt in Topcliffe) this Nov 5th. A reunion is being held at Walsall.
Totally in keeping with my original question, MouthPoo, thanks. Also think Walsall is an inspired choice of venue: miserable, freezing cold, bombed to buggery and full of marauding Russians.

For a while there I thought I was back in 'No Subject'.

But hold on...could that be Michaela in your picture there, Old Chip?