Cigarettes and Alcohol

Would you give them up?

In the vain / s of some threads on here (nice one @GaryCooper ) I'm going to quit as of.....well, a date set in the near future.

My base calculation is about £600 per on the dreaded two.... Which is unacceptable.

I'd like to quit and donate somewhere around 5-10% to Hols4 and / or H4H as a target. Anyone else game based on the other health threads?

(and yes, before anyone weighs in I have had a belter tonight but it is time to stop)

Yes per month. Criminal I know. Used to be per week........ ;-)
Ha ha! However, lets say a collective push from ARRSE and combined services for one month.....5-10% of what i spend (as a light weight) could make some difference?

@porridgegun send bank instructions.

Beers are 85c a pint in Portugal. Cigarettes are €4 a packet. A large wine is about 50c and a large spirit based drink for the lady costs roughly €3. We can both get pissed and smoke for less than €250 a month. Its fecking marvellous.

I'm fifty nine years old now.

I always said, I would give up cigarettes when they reached a pound a packet. I gave them up before they got there. I was twenty five years old at the time and I didn't start smoking until I was eighteen years old. So quite a resounding success.

I had a similar plan for alcohol. I decided to give it up when it reached two pound a pint. Miserable failure on that one. I do enjoy a pint. I have however cut back considerably on alcohol although I still drink probably a little more than I should at the moment.

I will continue to buy my bakki from the local importers @ £7.50 a pack of Turner, I ain't giving up .

I gave up a 50-60 a day addiction in 2009.
It's nice to be able to afford two three week holidays in the US every year & save up enough for a 50% deposit on a house at the same time.
I still spend £40 on beer & £10-15 on wine every week & that's the next thing to go so I can spend another six weeks away.

@rgjbloke, when I started smoking, it was packets of Ardath at about 67p a packet. Woolworths was great. Stopped for over twenty years but I can honestly say that in all that time, every time I had a pint I really wanted a cigarette with it. Dont care these days, Mrs.HP and I both smoke, albeit only with a drink and never at home, but we both enjoy it so what the hell?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
So what's the average price of a packet of fags and a pint in the UK? I've no idea, since I've never smoked (apart from spliffs) and I've never drunk alk. Although I have been known to imbibe in a few drugs now and again.

MsG

So what's the average price of a packet of fags and a pint in the UK? I've no idea, since I've never smoked (apart from penises) and I've never drunk alk. Although I have been known to imbibe in a few drugs now and again.

MsG

Just as I thought.

Ciggies? Dunno, I gave up years ago.

Give up beer? Not a chance I LOVE a good hoppy real ale.

Give up Whisky? Nah I Love Caol Ila.

Give up red wine? NEVER!

So what's the average price of a packet of fags and a pint in the UK? I've no idea, since I've never smoked (apart from spliffs) and I've never drunk alk. Although I have been known to imbibe in a few drugs now and again.

MsG

Beer:- http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?/United Kingdom/

Smokes:- £8.99 for a 20 pack of Marlboro (€12.08) at Tesco
£17.05 for 50g Drum rolling tobacco (€22.90) at Tesco

As Jarrod says, Belgium is convenient with Drum Tobacco at €6.40 (£4.76) for 50g and a 19 pack of Marlboro at €5.50 (£4.09). The savings on 1kg of tobacco per person will more than pay for a trip to the land of beer and chocolate (UK price 1kg Drum = £341, Belgian price 1kg Drum = £95.20. A small difference).

Note:. Products chosen as both sold in both countries so prices are comparable. Prices taken directly from websites, price conversion using current exchange rate.

Latest Threads