CIC at Catterick

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by UKChrisT, Jan 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Has anybody on here done there CIC (Combat Infantryman's Course)? If so, how'd it go? what exactly do you go through on the two weeks?

I've only just passed my selection, but would like to know what to expect.

What kind of training (out of T.A hours), should I do to prepare myself?

Chris --
  2. I did CIC in May last year,

I was told during my training weekends that as long as you are fit, the fitter the better the easier you will find everything!

This is definetly the case, so get out and pound the streets, where I live is fairly flat and unfortunatly Catterick isn't, so get up into the hills with your bergan as you will benefit.

In terms of the course they are not there to make you fail, so work hard for them and as the old saying goes they will work for you.
  3. I've done cic with 4para which is reduced to 1 week (to allow the second week for p-coy) so I'm not sure how much the two week one would differ but I found it a very good and insightful course (compared to CMSR which I had done a few years earlier).

Rock up on Saturday morning for the meet and greet with the DS, medical team and p-coy staff. Told the do's and donts and then shipped over to the ds offices. Into PT kit for a 1.5mile BFT on the area and then back into clean kit for the Weapon Handling Tests to make sure your safe for the range work. Loaded onto caoches and transported to the accommodation. Oh, there was lunch and dinner stops.

Start Sunday with breakfast and an 8mile CFT. Showered and changed into fighting order for rifle lessons and the finish up on any Weapon Handling Tests that wern't done the previous day. Finsh up any loose ends with regards to paperwork and any diffi kit. Prep kit ready for range package which starts the next day.

Day 3:
    Basic Range Package. Mmove onto the range after breakfast and zero weapons. Scoff and then start 100m and 200m practice shoots. Back to barracks for scoff and de-brief on the days shoot. Any major problems are dealt with on a one to one with the DS and the recruit involved.

Day 4:
    Breakfast and then straight down to the range for the start of the full APWT. Most recruits given as many chances as possible to pass at all ranges (yes, 100 rounds and I still couldn't get to grips with 200m). By the end of the day most recruits have done 100, 200 and 300m. Up to p-coy lines for a mock pre-deployment kit check. Back to barracks for dinner, range de-brief and personal admin. Prep kit for the start of the field ex the next afternoon.

Day 5:
    Quick breakfast and onto the range to tie up all loose ends on the 100,200 and 300m. Finish the range package with the 400m shoot. Back to barracks for lunch and then up to p-coy lines for pre-ex deployment kit check (standby for much throwing of kit and press ups). Cam up then loaded onto wagons for a nice comfotable drive into to area. Straight into lessons on movement into a harbour area and positioning of sections/sentry positions. Out into the area for lessons on basic patrolling skills (order of march really) and target indentification. Move onto pairs fire and manouver and then back to the harbour and into night routine.

Day 6:
    After a nights worth of stagging on you're stood to just before sunrise and then put straight into morning routine. Depending how the DS are feeling they may give you loads of time but then again they may not. Each section patrolls out under the supervision of thier respective DS for instruction on section attacks. LISTEN to your DS. All the guys in charge are so for a reason and they know thier stuff. If you have good DS (which all of us did) then there is no such thing a stupid question. Speak up and take it all in. If you're thinking it then someone else is. If you don't ask and cock it up then you will get pulled up or worse, someone may get hurt. Back to the harbour for personal admin/scoff then a short lesson on night patrolling then you head out for a mock area clearance before being put into night routine.

Day 7:
    Stand to and morning routine as per usual then out into the area for lessons and run throughs on platoon attacks. This is when the hard work begins. As usual switch on and pay attention. Believe me if you work hard you are rewarded. The DS will be a lot more relaxed with you and will give you lots of oppertunities to relax, brew up and square your admin away. If you dick about then they will have someone on stag at all times and give you all no time to sit down, let alone have a breather. Finish off the day with a lesson a RECCE patrols (really interesting, listen in) and CQR's (even more interesting). Given a quick lesson on battle orders and model building then using the last two lesson you're given a breif on what the battle plan is for the final attack which will be happening the following morning. Sent out in sections to perform RECCE's and for the lucky few, CQR's on the enemy positions that you will be attacking the following morning. A few hours down time before advancing to contact in the early hours (around 2am). Word of advice: In your few hours down time get a brew into a flask and some EASILY availible choccy or sweets so that when you are waiting around for a hour waiting to attck you're not falling asleep.

Day 8:
    Final attack on the enemy postions which is ball-bagging work but great fun. A few of the regs come and watch with the OC. Most of them are SgtMaj and above so watch out who you're shouting at, don't shoot at what you can't see and they'll leave you alone. Finish of the ex by using up all unspent ammunition and area clean up. Back to barracks for rifle cleaning and post ex admin. Back to billet for clean up into smart unifom and then back to cookhouse for a well earnt scoff and a de-brief from the DS about the ex.

My CIC ended there because of P-Coy so I'm not sure if this layout will be applicable to yourself as you say that you're doing the 2 week CIC. I imagine your CIC will be not much different to mine except maybe a little more involved (most of our field traning and skill at arms is done during 9 beat up weekends prior to CIC.)

Good luck and remember, soak everything up like a sponge. You'll be suprised how much you will learn.

4. Not really on topic, but I'm just interested really. If I'm reading the above right CIC is two weeks unless your 4 PARA. In which case it is eight days.

Do the TA Line infantry really get more training before passing out of CIC?
    I'm sure that 4 Para do excellent continuation training and all but surely their junior Privates would be at a disadvantage if haing to deploy straight on ops?

I for one would have thought that CIC would have been more important than P Company. Especially with the need for guys to deploy on ops. Eight days really doesn't seem enough (nor two weeks really).

Again please do not reply if you think I'm trying to get a bite. I'm not
  5. You will find the syllabus is completed to the specifications set by Land. Therefore no disadvantage in the system
  6. V. good write up Beer Man could you write up the remainder as well out of interest? interested to see what TA P Coys like. But back to topic the whole Phase One and CIC is currently changing so that you do less fieldcraft in Phase One but you get all the rangework done (ie APWT) leaving more time for fieldcraft and infantry tactics at CIC.
  7. I would say that fitness is not your biggest worry for CIC. Even on the condensed 4 Para version in which you do all the same stuff in half the time there isn't any really tough phys, but the lack of sleep will definitely be the hardest thing to deal with. I suppose on the normal two week CIC there may be more sleep to be had as the programme isn't as crammed in.
  8. Cant tell you about p-coy as I was RTU'd on the Sunday due to an injury sustained on ex that ruled me out on med grounds. But I can tell you that out of all the guys on on my course (35 odd) only about 11 passed and all said it was fcuking hard. Training hard and waiting for the next p-coy. To be honest speaking to others the only way to know what p-coy is like is to give it a go. Only those who have done it could possibly know what it is like. So I'm the wrong man to ask.

9. Were you on the cadre that had P Coy November 07?
  10. Jim W - My story is rather similar to TheBeerMan's ('cept I had a whole day of fun on Intro To P-Coy...). Im not sure if you're talking from experience ref 4 Para CIC, which is why I'm not going to bite - but fcuk me, turn up unfit and you will be broken (like those useless sacks of excrement from the 'other companies' who jacked on days two and three of our field ex). We were all very, very fit (dare I say 'ready for P-Coy fit' - in a physical sense) for joes - none of our coy had trouble with ten milers, two milers or the rest, but from the time we were dropped off by helibedford, it was pretty non stop phyzz wise. Hell, pairs F&M, done properly is knackering - and you do it in the mud and sh*t, uphill, in the rain. Lack of sleep isn't nice, but don't let anyone tell you you don't need to be fit. Because the fitter you are, the more able you are to function on less rest...

Edited for thpathtik thpelling
  11. Sarnian: I have done 4 Para CIC for the record. I didn't mean that you don't need to be fit or that fitness won't make it easier but I suppose I just meant that there's no single 200 mile march with 90kg of kit on that will knock people who aren't superfit out of CIC. If you're carrying all your kit you won't be asked to run anywhere and vice versa if you're expected to get somewhere quickly or do assaults you will only have with you what you need.

Just noticed...if you are who I think you are then I'll see you tomorrow night ;)
  12. I wish I could say I was - but I'm out and have been for a while - ligaments don't get fixed on the NHS!!
  13. ergh, bad luck mate. Time heals all wounds, allegedly
  14. This is a perennial problem for the Army. TA courses (with the odd exception) don't last anything like as long as their regular equivalents so the perception is that the product is significantly—and if you look back at some of the opinions expressed on this forum, hopelessly—lower in quality than the regular counterpart.

When the CIC staff found out about a 18 months ago that TA COs were deploying people straight onto ops from CIC, their initial reaction was 'okay, we're going to raise the bar until it matches that level, so you will now see a 90% failure rate'.

After a little discussion with a roomful of TA Coy Comds, CIC now include a single line statement in the post course report to the effect that 'this man is/is not ready to deploy on ops' and a recommended deferral period.

The important thing to draw from this is that the ITC staff were quite ready to admit that a proportion of the TA CIC were considered to be ready to deploy straight onto ops. This was their professional opinion based upon fitness, skill level and, most importantly, maturity. They also pointed out that some regular soldiers were, by the same measure, unfit to deploy after a regular CIC so were routed to those battalions who had just returned from ops in order to give them a 'continuation' period.

So, to answer forniup's question directly, it seems to depend a lot upon the nature of bloke, thus no blanket policy will ever give you the right answer. And from what I have seen, 4 PARA attract the kind of bloke that is more likely to fit the bill.

Just my two penn'orth. Hope it helps.
  15. Nope