CIB Query

Discussion in 'US' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jan 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning Colonists

To be awarded the CIB, do you have to simply bear arms in a combat area, or actually come under fire ?

I gather its 11B only ( HOOAH! )

TIA

BB

2. Any idea?
    BB

3. I know from my last tour that was in a US Army 3 star HQ with a small brit element that to qualify for the Combat Action Badge (non inf personel) that we actually had to come under fire direct small arms or IDF, there was no requirement to make it a two way range that confused the hell out of me I always thought combat involved 2 teams.
    There were if I remember correctly 2 ways to earn the CIB if they were inf MOS in a non inf unit it was as for the CAB, if they were inf MOS in an inf unit they had to serve 30 days in a combat zone (all this could be not to US regulations but its how I remember it being explained to me). they had a parade and a US 3 star presented the badges and each bloke got the reason why they were awarded read out some people for specific dates and some for time periods very confusing

4. Straight out of AR 600-8-22 Military Awards

8–6. Combat Infantryman Badge
    a. For award of the CIB a Soldier must meet the following three requirements:
    (1) Be an infantryman satisfactorily performing infantry duties.
    (2) Assigned to an infantry unit during such time as the unit is engaged in active ground combat.
    (3) Actively participate in such ground combat. Campaign or battle credit alone is not sufficient for award of the
    CIB.
    b. The specific eligibility criteria for the CIB require that
    (1) A Soldier must be an Army infantry or special forces officer (SSI 11 or 18) in the grade of colonel or below, or
    an Army enlisted Soldier or warrant officer with an infantry or Special Forces MOS, who subsequent to 6 December
    1941 has satisfactorily performed duty while assigned or attached as a member of an infantry, ranger or special forces
    unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size during any period such unit was engaged in active ground combat.
    Eligibility for Special Forces personnel in Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) 18B, 18E, 18F, and 18Z (less
    Special Forces medical sergeant) accrues from 20 December 1989. Retroactive awards of the CIB to Special Forces
    personnel are not authorized prior to 20 December 1989.
    (2) A recipient must be personally present and under hostile fire while serving in an assigned infantry or Special
    Forces primary duty, in a unit actively engaged in ground combat with the enemy. The unit in question can be of any
    size smaller than brigade. For example, personnel possessing an infantry MOS in a rifle squad of a cavalry platoon in a

cavalry troop would be eligible for award of the CIB. Battle or campaign participation credit alone is not sufficient; the
    unit must have been in active ground combat with the enemy during the period.
    (3) Personnel with other than an infantry or Special Forces MOS are not eligible, regardless of the circumstances.
    The infantry or Special Forces SSI or MOS does not necessarily have to be the Soldier’s primary specialty, as long as
    the Soldier has been properly trained in infantry or Special Forces tactics, possesses the appropriate skill code, and is
    serving in that specialty when engaged in active ground combat as described above. Commanders are not authorized to
    make any exceptions to this policy.
    (4) Awards will not be made to general officers or to members of headquarters companies of units larger in size
    than brigade.
    (5) On or after 18 September 2001—
    (a) A Soldier must be an Army infantry or special forces (SSI 11 or 18) in the grade of colonel or below, or an
    Army enlisted Soldier or warrant officer with an infantry or special forces MOS, who has satisfactorily performed duty
    while assigned or attached as a member of an infantry, ranger or special forces unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller
    size during any period such unit was engaged in active ground combat, to close with and destroy the enemy with direct
    fires.
    (b) A Soldier must be personally present and under fire while serving in an assigned infantry or Special Forces
    primary duty, in a unit engaged in active ground combat, to close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires.
    (c) Soldiers possessing MOS of 18D (Special Force Medical Sergeant) who satisfactorily perform special forces
    duties while assigned or attached to a special forces unit of brigade, regimental, or smaller size during any period such
    unit was engaged in active ground combat may be awarded the CIB. These Soldiers must have been personally present
    and engaged in active ground combat, to close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires. Retroactive awards under
    these criteria are not authorized for service prior to 18 September 2001.
    (d) Those Soldiers possessing MOS of 18D who qualify for award of the CMB from 18 September 2001 to 3 June
    2005 will remain qualified for the badge. Upon request any such Soldier may be awarded the CIB instead of the CMB.
    I n s u c h i n s t a n c e s , t h e S o l d i e r m u s t s u b m i t a r e q u e s t t h r o u g h t h e c h a i n o f c o m m a n d t o U S A H R C , A T T N :
    AHRC–PDO–PA, 200 Stovall Street, Alexandria, VA 22332–0471 for conversion of the CMB to the CIB.
    (e) Service members from the other U.S. Armed Forces and foreign military (infantry and Special Forces equivalents)
    assigned or attached as a member of a U.S. Army infantry or Special Forces unit of brigade, regimental, or
    smaller size may be considered for award of the CIB. All basic requirements as listed above must be met. Retroactive
    awards under these criteria are not authorized for service prior to 18 September 2001.
    c. The CIB is authorized for award for the following qualifying wars, conflicts, and operations:
    (1) World War II (7 December 1941 to 3 September 1945).
    (2) The Korean War (27 June 1950 to 27 July 1953).
    (3) Republic of Vietnam Conflict (2 March 1961 to 28 March 1973), combined with qualifying service in Laos (19
    April 1961 to 6 October 1962).
    (4) Dominican Republic (28 April 1965 to 1 September 1966).
    (5) Korea on the DMZ (4 January 1969 to 31 March 1994).
    (6) El Salvador (1 January 1981 to 1 February 1992).
    (7) Grenada (23 October to 21 November 1983).
    (8) Joint Security Area, Panmunjom, Korea (23 November 1984).
    (9) Panama (20 December 1989 to 31 January 1990).
    (10) Southwest Asia Conflict (17 January to 11 April 1991).
    (11) Somalia (5 June 1992 to 31 March 1994).
    (12) Afghanistan (Operation Enduring Freedom, 5 December 2001 to a date to be determined).
    (13) Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom, 19 March 2003 to a date to be determined).
    d. The special provision authorized for the War on Terrorism is listed in this paragraph. The CIB may be awarded to
    recognize those U.S. Army Infantry and Special Forces Soldiers embedded in formed Afghan National Army or Iraqi
    infantry/special force units, or Iraqi specialized Infantry type units, of brigade, regimental or smaller size, or assigned
    as advisors to a foreign infantry/special forces comparable to the above infantry units, as tactical advisors, trainers or
    performing liaison duties, during the time that the supported infantry/special force unit engages in active ground
    combat, to close with and destroy the enemy with direct fires. Qualified Soldiers must have been personally present
    and participated in the combat operations.

The intended requirement to be "personally present and under fire" has not changed.

5. Dont suppose you have all that for the Combat Action Badge aswell do you Goldbricker
    cheers

6. Thanks dudes.

The blokes I did my exchange with last year, A Coy 1/181 Inf had plenty of CIBs in evidence. I did like the FOB CIB stickers in their rear windows, too.

Could an attached Limey get a CIB? I know that its possible for us to receive, for example, the Army Efficiency Medal...

7. for my tour I recived a US Army Acheivment Medal (with nice embosed citation(that was a great work of fiction)) Presented by the Lt Gen himself an Iraq campaign medal and a combat action badge now these last two were gizits as they techniqley(how the hell do you spell that word) shouldn't be awarded to forigen service personnel but the cheif clark who was US Airfarce decided as i worked there and everyone else who had been shot at mortared and nearly blown up by IED's i could have them too however there is no supporting bit of paper with them unlike the Acheivment medal so they go in the nice gizzit random army stuff draw along with my formation patch that we had to move arms after 30 days in "combat"

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

From HQDA LTR 600-05-1:

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Theoretically, though I doubt you'd be allowed to wear it (my bold):

10. What's the Army Efficiency Medal? :? The US Army doesn't have a medal by that name. (I ought to know as if they did, I wouild have gotten one. ;-) ;-P )

11. IIRC their is some images of both an Latvian Infantry Company awarded the CIB and I know I've seen images of French Soldiers from the Battalion Coree wearing CIB's back in the 50's

French Marines (3eme RIMa)?
    [​IMG]

12. It most certainly does.... <blushes...>

13. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Resurrecting this thread because the obituary for CSgt Stephen (Baz) Alan Bardsley popped up on my Facebook feed. Note the Bronze Star Medal at the end of the rack and the CIB above, which he received from his time as a exchange Pl Sgt with 2/505 PIR, 82 Abn Div during the 1991 Gulf War. He got his MM for his actions at Goose Green. Bit of an all round legend and an example (albeit a rare one) of a Limey with a CIB.

[​IMG]

14. There are some annoyances with the CIB rule. My mortarmen were a bit irked that they weren't eligible to receive it despite being 11-series infantrymen, as they were assigned to my cavalry unit. Whereas the mortarmen in the sister infantry battalion did.

15. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Shouldn't he be wwearing that on his other lapel?
    Thought all foreign awards (when authorised)were worn on the right hand side of the uniform..
    Not doubting the chap or anything I'm sure I saw guys with US jump wings etc worn on the right hand side.