CIA Warns Turks Of Pending Airstrikes Against Iran, Syria?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Dec 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From United Press International and Cumhuriyet:

On Monday CIA Director Porter Goss met with Milli Istihbarat Teskilati, or MIT, intelligence service officials for four-and-a-half hours in Ankara. Goss reportedly brought three dossiers on Iran with him. Accompanied by a large delegation Goss met with MIT Undersecretary Emre Taner and General Staff Intelligence Director Lt. Gen. Arslan Guner. Goss also visited Turkish Security Director General Gokhan Aydiner and Security Intelligence Director Sabri Uzun.

Cumhuriyet reported that Goss allegedly asked for Turkish support for the Bush administration's policies on Iran's nuclear activities, telling Turkish officials that Iran has nuclear weapons, a situation that created a huge threat to Turkey and other countries in the region.

Goss said that Iran sees Turkey as an enemy and will "export its regime," warning Ankara to be ready for a possible U.S. aerial operation against Iran and Syria.

UPI Intelligence Watch 14 December 2005

UPI International Correspondent
  2. I'm not sure the Turks will be overjoyed to receive this message. They will be highly suspicious, quite rightly so of US Intelligence. They will probably also feel that the US does not fully understand the complex issues Turkey has to deal with along its various borders with Syria, Iraq and Iran, not to mention its own domestic issues related to this matter. Distant defence is OK for the US but it aint distant for Turkey.
  3. Can't see the Turks allowing their airspace to be used for overflights.Although they probably have no moral problems having the U.S. attacking an Arab country, they are Ottoman's, not Arabs, after all and it may deflect international attention if they decide to stamp down on the indigent Kurds and other small groups wanting autonomy in Turkey.
    Syria is another problem altogether, as a nation 'allegedly' supporting 'freedom fighters' they've had their cards marked but may well pre-emptively get a few attacks in before Uncle Dubya launches a few Tomahawks at them.
  4. From The Daily Star (Lebanon).

President George W. Bush said he would pre-emptively attack another country if he deemed it necessary hoping that Thursday's parliamentary election in Iraq would put pressure on the governments of Iran and Syria.

"n an age of terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, if we wait for threats to fully materialize, we will have waited too long," Bush.

"Bush defends U.S. right to launch pre-emptive attacks"
    Compiled by Daily Star staff
    Thursday, December 15, 2005

5. "In an age of terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, the launching of devastating surprise attacks on military and civilian targets all over the globe using high-tech methods....- oh wait, that's the Yanks." :twisted:

What does it mean? Turkey wish to perform military (special) operations on Iraqi soil? Or maybe USA will exterminate some political parties in Iraq (of course within a conception of true democracy)?

So Iran always has nuclear weapons? Surprise. Though, previously we were told that Iraq had WMD.

Does mr.Goss really believe in what he has said? It is possible. Turks I fancy looked at him as at moron. No doubt they know real situation much better.

Has mr.Goss been called as a friend? I doubt.
  7. This story has to be a joke! Of course Iran and Turkey have had a cold relationship since the fall of the Shah but Iran wanting to export a shiite theocracy to Sunni Turkey????? Seriously, Come on!
    There couls have been a possibility ofsome kind of action in the 1980s over Iran's support for the Kurds but the two countries realise that they need to the presence of the other to check their enemies. Relations between the two I would say are warming especially now with the Kurds being the best buddies of the Americans.
  8. The "Cumhuriyet" newspaper apparently broke the story. I know nothing about its reliability.

If the story is true, it must have originated with the Turkish secret intelligence service. It's hard to imagine CIA Director Porter Goss holding a press conference.

I will guess that Cumhuriyet printed it with the tacit blessing of the Turkish government because the paper might not dare to do so otherwise.

I agree that the implication of the remarks attributed to Director Goss, that the Iranians intend forcibly to assimilate Turkey into the Greater Persian Empire, has no apparent basis in fact.
  9. I take it all this was said in the most upmost secrecy ... :roll:
  10. IA, EA, it's of to war we go... do do do, do do do, do, IA, EA.
  11. Since it's from Cumhuriyet it could be very subtle attempt by the Turks to force American and Iranian hands over the Kurds. :?
  12. Anyone know if the Turks still have 2 brigade size forces on the border across from Iraqi Kurdistan?
  13. The US really are clueless aren't they ? Do they honestly believe the Turks will swallow their wish-fulfilment fairy stories of big bad Iran about to be nasty to everyone ? I'd think it far more likely that Turkey and Iran will agree to carve up the Kurdish parts of Iraq and then launch a joint operation to "pacify" the area.
  14. The Iranians aren't arabs either, mate.
  15. I was thinking about that too. My w.a. guess is that assuming the accuracy of the Cumhuriyet story:

The Turks didn't for even two seconds believe a word of the offered justification because they aren't stupid.

Director Goss didn't believe it and didn't expect or intend that it be believed.

The whole tea party was organized to send a somewhat different, subliminal message.

The message is: We are crazy badass buckaroos. We'll do as we please. You'll do as we say. Or else.