CIA veteran: Israel to attack Iran in fall

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pp0470, Jul 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this a very interesting read:

CIA veteran: Israel to attack Iran in fall - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

2. Oh dear. US strategists look out. The games up. You've been rumbled. You saw it here first.

3. I don't find it interesting. I find it an example of the sort of wild speculation, nudge-wink references to unnamed sources etc, that produces great heat but no light where this part of the world is concerned.

4. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I liked Robert Baer's book. Doesn't make him an oracle though. That said, with those two participants, its a matter of 'when' not 'if' it kicks off in spectacular fashion.

5. Do you not put any weight to quotes from former Mossad chief Meir Dagan? Dagan left the Israeli intelligence agency in September 2010.

6. The impetus for an attack on Iran is coming from Saudi and the Gulf states; plus the PA, elements in the Lebanese government and quite a few others in the region.

Jerusalem has been weighing up the possibilities of an attack on Iran for a long time, but they've recently taken a much longer and harder look. The (classified) evaluation of Iron Dome's performance will play some part in their strategy, as an attack on Iran could mean fighting Hamas, Hizbollah and Syria, all of whom have rocket or missile arsenals; as do Iran.

Obama now realises that unless the Iranian nuclear program is curtailed there will be a new Middle Eastern arms race involving nukes. He may be willing to sanction an attack, especially as he will soon face re-election.

As always, it's not a question of if there will be war; but when.

7. Baer has stepped back from this comment. He said it was off the cuff.

8. For your own information

The over weight Yank states "in defiance of the world" didnt his holy America go to war in defiance of the world on the baseless accusations of hidden WMD's?

Stupid Yanks I say!

Its become culture of the Yankee Media to war monger, and its sad they drag other European states with them.

9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The background analysis is one we can all make. There are people in Israel who would like to attack Iran and there are people in Iran who would like to attack Israel and start a Holy War with the Great and Little Satan and their acolytes. Also there are people here and in the US who would welcome the opportunity to rid the world of the undoubted evil regime in Iran.

Maybe Mr Baer's analysis has more credibility because he has spoken to or studied some of the players but in the murky world of Middle East politics and sabre rattling you can never be sure who is rattling what and why. Maybe the Israelis are blowing hard to provoke some sort of reaction from the nutters in Tehran.

10. The sooner Israel turns iran into glass the better.

11. Is that published anywhere, or can you tell me your source pls?

I think former Mossad chief Meir Dagan is actively standing by his comments, and from the original article:

12. Any particular reason, or did you just once get a dodgy bowl of falafel in Tel Aviv?

13. BuggerAll

I have to say that all of the Iranians I've ever met have been very decent people. It's the government in Tehran that's problem and a few islamo-nutters around the country. Odd that - islam being a problem.

Anyway I would not be in favour of turning the place into glass. I would be in favour of things that would get the population the kind of government they want and deserve. If I'm-a-dinner-jacket and his cronies get their comeuppance I wouldn't loose any sleep.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Is it not Iran that is the most westernised of the arab states, perhaps aiding them, not to the point of destruction of the Israel state, but to nuture their reliance on nuclear energy. Lets face it in the next 20 - 30 years will Iran have any oil left? Their only chance for a future with electricity is nuclear. Lets assist them in doing that but heavily monitor them as all powers with reactors should be

15. BuggerAll

(Pedant mode on)They're Persians, not Arabs (pedant mode off) but that aside I think you are right. Of course that modern outlook is in direct competition with islam hence the diconect between the majority of the population and the nutters running the place.