CIA veteran: Israel to attack Iran in fall

P

pp0470

I found this a very interesting read:

CIA veteran: Israel to attack Iran in fall - Opinion - Al Jazeera English

.....former Mossad chief Meir Dagan. Dagan left the Israeli intelligence agency in September 2010. Two months ago, he predicted that Israel would attack <Iran> and said that doing so would be "the stupidest thing" he could imagine.
A longtime CIA officer who spent 21 years in the Middle East is predicting that Israel will bomb Iran in the fall, dragging the United States into another major war and endangering US military and civilian personnel (and other interests) throughout the Middle East and beyond.

Earlier this week, Robert Baer appeared on the provocative KPFK Los Angeles show Background Briefing, hosted by Ian Masters. It was there that he predicted that Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu is likely to ignite a war with Iran in the very near future.

Robert Baer has had a storied career, including a stint in Iraq in the 1990s where he organised opposition to Saddam Hussein. (He was recalled after being accused of trying to organise Saddam's assassination.) Upon his retirement, he received a top decoration for meritorious service.

Baer is no ordinary CIA operative. George Clooney won an Oscar for playing a character based on Baer in the film Syriana (Baer also wrote the book).

He obviously won't name many of his sources in Israel, the United States, and elsewhere, but the few he has named are all Israeli security figures who have publically warned that Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak are hell-bent on war.

Oh dear. US strategists look out. The games up. You've been rumbled. You saw it here first.

I don't find it interesting. I find it an example of the sort of wild speculation, nudge-wink references to unnamed sources etc, that produces great heat but no light where this part of the world is concerned.

P

pp0470

I don't find it innteresting. I find it an example of the sort of wild speculation, nudge-wink references to unnamed sources etc, that produces great heat but no light where this part of the world is concerned.
Do you not put any weight to quotes from former Mossad chief Meir Dagan? Dagan left the Israeli intelligence agency in September 2010.

When asked about what would happen in the aftermath of an Israeli attack Dagan said that: "It will be followed by a war with Iran. It is the kind of thing where we know how it starts, but not how it will end."

The Iranians have the capability to fire rockets at Israel for a period of months, and Hizbollah could fire tens of thousands of grad rockets and hundreds of long-range missiles, he said.

The impetus for an attack on Iran is coming from Saudi and the Gulf states; plus the PA, elements in the Lebanese government and quite a few others in the region.

Jerusalem has been weighing up the possibilities of an attack on Iran for a long time, but they've recently taken a much longer and harder look. The (classified) evaluation of Iron Dome's performance will play some part in their strategy, as an attack on Iran could mean fighting Hamas, Hizbollah and Syria, all of whom have rocket or missile arsenals; as do Iran.

Obama now realises that unless the Iranian nuclear program is curtailed there will be a new Middle Eastern arms race involving nukes. He may be willing to sanction an attack, especially as he will soon face re-election.

As always, it's not a question of if there will be war; but when.

Baer has stepped back from this comment. He said it was off the cuff.

For your own information

[video=youtube;7WYf5CelbJ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYf5CelbJ0[/video]

[video=youtube;e4eS-dhBbgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4eS-dhBbgQ[/video]

[video=youtube;DFEoJoPvQUI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFEoJoPvQUI[/video]

The over weight Yank states "in defiance of the world" didnt his holy America go to war in defiance of the world on the baseless accusations of hidden WMD's?

Stupid Yanks I say!

Its become culture of the Yankee Media to war monger, and its sad they drag other European states with them.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The background analysis is one we can all make. There are people in Israel who would like to attack Iran and there are people in Iran who would like to attack Israel and start a Holy War with the Great and Little Satan and their acolytes. Also there are people here and in the US who would welcome the opportunity to rid the world of the undoubted evil regime in Iran.

Maybe Mr Baer's analysis has more credibility because he has spoken to or studied some of the players but in the murky world of Middle East politics and sabre rattling you can never be sure who is rattling what and why. Maybe the Israelis are blowing hard to provoke some sort of reaction from the nutters in Tehran.

P

pp0470

Baer has stepped back from this comment. He said it was off the cuff.
Is that published anywhere, or can you tell me your source pls?

I think former Mossad chief Meir Dagan is actively standing by his comments, and from the original article:

12 of the 18 living ex-chiefs of Israel's two security agencies (Mossad and Shin Bet), are "either actively opposing Netanyahu's stances or have spoken out against them

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The sooner Israel turns iran into glass the better.
I have to say that all of the Iranians I've ever met have been very decent people. It's the government in Tehran that's problem and a few islamo-nutters around the country. Odd that - islam being a problem.

Anyway I would not be in favour of turning the place into glass. I would be in favour of things that would get the population the kind of government they want and deserve. If I'm-a-dinner-jacket and his cronies get their comeuppance I wouldn't loose any sleep.

Is it not Iran that is the most westernised of the arab states, perhaps aiding them, not to the point of destruction of the Israel state, but to nuture their reliance on nuclear energy. Lets face it in the next 20 - 30 years will Iran have any oil left? Their only chance for a future with electricity is nuclear. Lets assist them in doing that but heavily monitor them as all powers with reactors should be

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is it not Iran that is the most westernised of the arab states, perhaps aiding them, not to the point of destruction of the Israel state, but to nuture their reliance on nuclear energy. Lets face it in the next 20 - 30 years will Iran have any oil left? Their only chance for a future with electricity is nuclear. Lets assist them in doing that but heavily monitor them as all powers with reactors should be
(Pedant mode on)They're Persians, not Arabs (pedant mode off) but that aside I think you are right. Of course that modern outlook is in direct competition with islam hence the diconect between the majority of the population and the nutters running the place.

If this happens it will be World War 3 ........ I shit you not.

Is this why the West is actively encouraging revolution in Arab country's these days and trying to put their puppets in charge to make it difficult for the Arab band of brothers to unite against Israel if this attack should ever happen ??

If Israel is daft enough to attack Iran, it would have brought the consequences upon itself and would have little sympathy world wide.

If this happens it will be World War 3 ........ I shit you not.

Is this why the West is actively encouraging revolution in Arab country's these days and trying to put their puppets in charge to make it difficult for the Arab band of brothers to unite against Israel if this attack should ever happen ??

If Israel is daft enough to attack Iran, it would have brought the consequences upon itself and would have little sympathy world wide.
I agree the Iranians are clever, they have sided with the Russians and the Chinese, with that huge oil wealth, they can afford to repel an Israeli threat, however the Israelis, will use the European public through emotional blackmail, you know the usual " Iran wants to finish hiter's job, Iran wants to wipe the ONLY jewish state, Iran is anti semitic", but the amazing thing is, Iranian Jews refuse to even go to Israel.

[video=youtube;vA7yz2vciGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA7yz2vciGk[/video]

Israel is a apartheid state and needs to accept that being criticised doesnt make one an anti semite, and expelling the natives off the land and replacing them with Europeans Jews, who happen to hardly have any genes of a semite, is not acceptible in the eyes of the world including the UN.

However, the Muslim world is retarded too!

If I had a Nickel for everytime the USA or Israel was about to attack Iran since 2001 according to some expert, I would be rich. Like the flowers in spring, every year this gets trotted out with a little change here or there.

Now this could put the cat amongst the pigeons couldn't it. The only good thing i suppose is that now call me Dave has decided on additional troop cuts there's no way on this earth that he could consider us getting involved so our guys and girls won't have to worry about an additional medium scale deployment to another very sandy and hot country.

Now this could put the cat amongst the pigeons couldn't it. The only good thing i suppose is that now call me Dave has decided on additional troop cuts there's no way on this earth that he could consider us getting involved so our guys and girls won't have to worry about an additional medium scale deployment to another very sandy and hot country.
Bullshit. If the Americans say jump, we jump....... end of.

That is the position the UK is now in as a result of years of American Arrse licking and obsession on "Special Relationship" status.

Latest Threads