• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

CIA under fire for Iraq failure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3429671.stm

The former chief US weapons inspector has questioned the abilities of the intelligence services after failing to find illicit arms in Iraq.
David Kay said in a US radio interview that he thought the CIA owed the president an explanation for warnings about the threat Iraq posed.
This is interesting.
http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2001/933.htm

the fact that the sanctions exist -- not for the purpose of hurting the Iraqi people, but for the purpose of keeping in check Saddam Hussein's ambitions toward developing weapons of mass destruction. We should constantly be reviewing our policies, constantly be looking at those sanctions to make sure that they are directed toward that purpose. That purpose is every bit as important now as it was ten years ago when we began it. And frankly they have worked. He has not developed any significant capability with respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project conventional power against his neighbors. So in effect, our policies have strengthened the security of the neighbors of Iraq, and these are policies that we are going to keep in place, but we are always willing to review them to make sure that they are being carried out in a way that does not affect the Iraqi people but does affect the Iraqi regime's ambitions and the ability to acquire weapons of mass destruction, and we had a good conversation on this issue.
Now Colin Powell didn't just take it into his head to say that , he had been briefed.

Now it looks like the CIA are about to get shafted.

Want to know what else David Kay has said , since his "resignation?" (Allegedly)

"The intelligence community owes the president [an explanation] rather than the president owing the American people."

"There's ample evidence of movement to Syria before the war," he said. "There's satellite photography, there are reports on the ground, of a constant stream of trucks, cars, rail traffic across the border. We simply don't know what was moved."

"There's very little you can do in Iraq to determine what was moved. The real answers to that are in Syria, and the Syrian government has shown absolutely no interest in helping us resolve this issue," he said.
So, Kay resigns, says "Don't blame the President , blame the Intelligence agency, the stuff is in Syria, and Syria refuses to co-operate" Hmmmmmm.

...and the only publication that gets this scoop, is the Sunday Telegraph?

Bonus questions

Who owns the Telegraph?

Who sits on the board of Hollinger?

I'm getting far too cynical in my old age.

L

LE_OC

I'm working with a guy from the US state department at the moment and we had an exchange of views on this very topic over lunch today - they take the bait everytime, don't they.

Thanks for the additional G2 PTP - I've sent him the hyperlinks - I'll keep you posted. Wait out

Latest Threads