CIA operations in Italy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Proximo, Jun 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Indie:

The full story is here.

I can't work out if people are upset because the US are running riot on 'their patch', upsetting locally run operations, or condoning torture. Either way, this isn't a new story at all, as anyone who was near Tuzla in the mid-90s will confirm!
  2. I think the question is: "Who appointed the US as Overlords of the Free World" able to do whatever they liked wherever they liked.
  3. A question which might be more pertinent is "Realistically, who's going to stop them?"

I don't think you'll like the answer.
  4. Remember "Operation Gladio" from the 1950s until the 1980s? The CIA and several other NATO intelligence services armed rightwing groups in Europe to become resistance fighters in case of a Soviet invasion. In Italy they had the additional job to stage a coup in case of the quite strong communist party winning the elections. This was in many cases done without the knowledge of the respective governments. There are still arms caches being found. The whole thing came out after neo-fascists in Italy used Gladio explosives for a terrorist bomb in Bologna railway station in Italy in the early 1980s to blame it on leftwings.

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Considering that we only hear of these when they either go wrong (CIA here, Israelis in Norway) or are too public to hide (Markov killed in London, PC Yvonne Fletcher killed by Libyans, PIRA topped in Gib) it makes you wonder how many other covert Ops are going on that we don't know about.

I'm safe though - I have my tinfoil hat on at all times......
  6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Or perhaps the Italians are still upset because the Americans opened fire on one of their agents in Bagdhad...
  7. Indeed - someone at SISMI might just have decided to get their own back and place a leak or two

So CIA agents used Italian police uniforms (I suspect without permission of Italian authorities). Btw, is it permitted in the UK?

US air-base in Aviano was used for criminal purposes (and German base too). Good cause for their closure. Moreover, cold war is over long ago.
  9. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer