• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Chutzpah or what?

Newcastle woman in £150,000 scam must pay back just £1

A woman who tried to swindle more than £150,000 out of her grandmother and fiance has been ordered to repay £1.

Emma Charlton, 25, used their chequebooks to try to buy goods, but not all the cheques were cashed and she only got away with £26,704.

Charlton, of Walkerville, Newcastle, admitted 23 fraud and theft charges in March and was jailed for three years.

But at a proceeds of crime hearing in Newcastle she was only ordered to repay £1 because she is "penniless".

The hearing heard how she used her grandmother's stolen chequebook to pay for more than £125,000 worth of holidays, food and jewellery.

She also posed as the editor of Vogue magazine to give the impression she was wealthy and to con her fiance Neil Lupton out of almost £30,000.

Charlton, of Meadowfield Gardens, was caught after she used stolen cheques to pay for a charity fashion show at the Hilton Hotel in Gateshead, which never took place.

She was brought from her cell to attend the hearing on Thursday.

Mitigating, Michael Hodson said Charlton was not motivated by self interest but had been trying to create a fantasy world to feel better about herself.

Judge Brian Forster said: "In view of the fact that the defendant has no available assets I make a nominal finding in the sum of £1."

At a hearing earlier this year, Charlton, formerly known as Emma Golightly, also pleaded guilty to falsely claiming she had terminal cancer in a bid to obtain the services of a carer.
I like the bit "not motivated by self interest but had been trying to create a fantasy world to feel better about herself". So, legally, just trying to "feel better about yourself" isn't self-interest?

Oy, oy, oy. Nu? Do you admire her chutzpah, think she should be tied down for a backwards beasting by a line of cancer patients or ...? Is your recommendation motivated by outrage or jealousy?

Excognito said:

A woman who tried to swindle more than £150,000 out of her grandmother and fiance has been ordered to repay £1.

Emma Charlton, 25, used their chequebooks to try to buy goods, but not all the cheques were cashed and she only got away with £26,704.

Charlton, of Walkerville, Newcastle, admitted 23 fraud and theft charges in March and was jailed for three years.

But at a proceeds of crime hearing in Newcastle she was only ordered to repay £1 because she is "penniless".

The hearing heard how she used her grandmother's stolen chequebook to pay for more than £125,000 worth of holidays, food and jewellery.

She also posed as the editor of Vogue magazine to give the impression she was wealthy and to con her fiance Neil Lupton out of almost £30,000.

Charlton, of Meadowfield Gardens, was caught after she used stolen cheques to pay for a charity fashion show at the Hilton Hotel in Gateshead, which never took place.

Mitigating, Michael Hodson said Charlton was not motivated by self interest but had been trying to create a fantasy world to feel better about herself.

Judge Brian Forster said: "In view of the fact that the defendant has no available assets I make a nominal finding in the sum of £1."

At a hearing earlier this year, Charlton, formerly known as Emma Golightly, also pleaded guilty to falsely claiming she had terminal cancer in a bid to obtain the services of a carer.
I like the bit "not motivated by self interest but had been trying to create a fantasy world to feel better about herself". So, legally, just trying to "feel better about yourself" isn't self-interest?

Oy, oy, oy. Nu? Do you admire her chutzpah, think she should be tied down for a backwards beasting by a line of cancer patients or ...? Is your recommendation motivated by outrage or jealousy?
sounds like a lot of the posters on arrse

nebapneb said:
Excognito said:

So, do you feel better about yourself then? ;)

Markintime said:
nebapneb said:
Excognito said:

He always does after some serious self abuse. 8O

Markintime said:
nebapneb said:
Excognito said:

sorry i was in the khazi having a wank
course i feel great about myself
i'm fucking ace me! :D

edited for moong spoolonk in a post orgasmic bliss

Mentalist said:
That's a ridiculously lenient sentence.
Having seen the photos, I disagree. £150,000 wouldn't be anywhere near enough to improve her self-esteem ...

Still, based on that rationale, I should easily get away with BP Oil Spill equivalent :D

Latest Threads