Churchill's Sacrifice of the Highland Division, free kindle book

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Fang_Farrier, Apr 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  2. Thanks for posting this. Just downloaded it to my iPhone.

I enjoyed his "Bullets, Boots & Bandages" 3-parter on TV last year. Not one of those really irritating 'Military' historians who sounds so pompous and all-knowing and who talks down to their audience.
  3. How do you find free books on Amazon other than searching under the lowest price? Are they advertised somewhere? I search from the lowest price occasionally but usually it's all stuff printed in the 1800s or earlier.
  4. Fang_Farrier

• Like Like x 1
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

On the Amazon site go to Kindle Books and on the right there is a text box with lists for 100 top paid and 100 top free books:

i suspect that their top 100 and the books published by Amazon, but as Fang says, check out the Endeavour Sticky in this Forum. I update it every Wednesday or you could subscribe to the newsletter yourself.

Endeavour do some good books and a good range of reading, including a good selection of women's books to keep the distaff side happy. The books are only free for a few days then there is a charge, but often that is £1 or thereabouts.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks, I've signed up tho I've run out of space on my Kindle now as I've packed it full of history stuff. I highly recommend Churchill's early works, particularly The Malakand Field Force which is about the British expedition on the Northwest Frontier in 1895. Plenty of bayonet charges, a cavalry charge across the polo court etc. It's the 19thC version of the Brits in Afghanistan and very well written. You can get it for free off Gutenberg:
  7. Here you go. | The Easier, Faster, Smarter Way to Kindle!
    If you can't download from Amazon.UK (the bastards) then click on the US flag for international users.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You know you can store kindle books on your PC/ laptop, not sure about tablets with limited storage. You can keep a library of books and only load up to kindle a current reading list.
  9. If you remove a title from the Kindle, it remains in your library at Amazon and can be downloaded again at anytime.

10. Yes that's probably easier as not all my books are from Amazon...

A pity there was never a memory card made for Kindle.
  11. Fang_Farrier

Try this eBook management system. calibre - E-book management
  12. Thanks, got that one, I've "acquired" an awful lot of books on the internet and converted most of them to mobi, it appears 340 or so is about the limit though.

I have a book problem.
  13. Fang_Farrier

Calibre allows you to move books between PC/Laptop and kindle type device without losing them