Churchills Cigar Airbrushed Out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by JoeCivvie, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Noting new about this on my side of the pond. The US Postal Service, in creating a series of stamps on Hollywood stars, airbrushed out the cigarettes from images of James Dean, Humphrey Bogart and Audrey Hepburn. They also airbrushed an image of Bette Davis to change a fur coat into a cloth coat since "fur is cruel"
  2. A shame really, as the fact that these apparently "offensive" things were considered quite acceptable back in the day, should give the PC mob a hint that not everyone is born with their watered down lah-di-dah nancy-pancy mamby-pamby shove-it-up-your-jacksie bleeding heart self righteous point of view on how the world "should" be seen.

Hopefully in the fullness of time, we'll look on their thinking with as much contact embarassment at being associated with their polly-in-my-pocket my little pony pansified version of the world, as they have "shock" and faux "horror" as they look back at "real" life on behalf of the increasingly lucrative global feelings industry, and we'll all be able to have a "fcuking" good giggle, not a fecking, a ferking, an effing, or a jolly good giggle, as we laugh at how naive and childish many adults of the age were in their day to day lives.

All this, and people waging war on each other in the name of scripture and prophecy and heresy and whatnot. I think 21st century humanity will be looked back on in the future as a parody of real life itself, before "the human condition" became an all-inclusive-anti-discrimination-pro-talking-anti-doing syndrome of the malaise of civilisation itself.

Well, time as they say, is a healer. One day, PC will be a dead idea, buried under the cities of people who weren't so concerned with the small things.
  3. They've done it to the well known picture of Brunel too
  4. After a bit of digging into stamp history I learned of at least 3 more US stamps in which the portrait had a cigarette removed. Jackson Pollock, the artist, Robert Johnson, the legendary black blues guitarist and journalist Edward R. Murrow.

Murrow has a bit of British history attached as he was the reporter who provided live radio broadcasts from London during the Battle of Britain, broadcasting live as bombs could be heard in the background. He was quite supportive of Britain and spoke of the strength of the British people when under attack. Murrow was never seen without a cigarette. I remember watching him on TV when I was a boy, broadcasting with a cigarette in his hand.
  5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Not even standing room on the Outrage Bus (with its zero-pollutant bicycle-chain engine).

What next? 'Water Fight at the OK Corral'. 'Peashooters of Navarone'. Suggestions please.
  6. Won't be long before they change his hat for a burka or turban.
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

It's a bloody good job Chuchill didn't drink - I mean, think of the outrage if it turned out that he had the courage and moral fortitude to take the great decisions of State while under the effects of Alcohol :)

He wasn't that PC when it comes to the "Religion of Peace" either:

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property - either as a child, a wife, or a concubine - must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men. Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities. Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen; all know how to die; but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science - the science against which it had vainly struggled - the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome."
  8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Mind you, I liked the cartoon at the side of the article :twisted:

A..... B.. E...... :D
  9. You bloody fence sitter. Say what you really mean. :D
  10. They did it to Michaelangelo´s paintings in the Sistine Chapel too, God knows how many years ago it was decided that his full frontal nudity was immoral and the figures became draped with modesty cloths,so tampering with pictures is nothing new.

As for trying to wean the kiddies off the idea that a cigarette sticking out of your mouth makes you look cooler or harder when It´s really killing you and those around you then I´m all for it,too many people die every year making the tobacco companies rich.I´m not a great follower of the PC brigade but ´bending history´is better than spending more millions on totally unnecessary health care and in this case I totally agree with it.

Yes,I hate smoking and can´t understand why so many burn their money to kill themselves slowly?
  11. Will quote you A.Y. just so we can say that again! :p
  12. Maybe it was just 'borrowed' by Clinton? :censored:
  13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

In fairness Hilary Clinton was reversed photo shopped
    She landed in Pristina during a rocket / sniper / full scale tank battle and had to run for her life
    Some wag took the photo and altered it to make it apear that she had been walking about smiling and shaking hands instead of zig zagging in an efort to save her life
  14. Nothing new as you say, one Papa had all the statues man's bits chopped off. I think the embarrassment of making tent poles every time he went past got to him.

If a photo of Winnie without the cigar was so important to the exhibition then why did they not get one of him without a cigar? Perhaps this one may suite?

The edge of the wedge is getting less thin.