• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Reference Image Churchill tank all marks all variations

he's talking about the Sherman Grisley, a Canadian vehicle with slight detail variations on a standard M4. This is parked adjacent to the Crocodile at the D Day Museum Portsmouth.

edit to add, I feel another reference page on Shermans on the way....

Last edited:
Bovvvie again

WP_20131207_11_30_02_Smart.jpg

A fascine is loaded onto a Churchill AVRE from a lorry, River Senio, 8 April 1945
A fascine is loaded onto a Churchill AVRE from a lorry, River Senio, 8 April 1945.jpg

Dieppe Raid

Dieppe Raid.jpg

Churchill tanks of 6th Guards Tank Brigade in NW Europe, 2 November 1944
Churchill tanks of 6th Guards Tank Brigade in NW Europe, 2 November 1944.jpg

Churchill tank in German service.
Churchill tank in German service..jpg

The thing carrying the bridge is a bridgelayer, is it not? Not an ARK
Yes it is. But without being pedantic,that dosn't make it an AVLB which is a specific bit of kit.
It's also an Armoured carrier for a ramp. An ARK. - for that is what is was designated.

If I was instructed to come back with an ARK from the virtual Fd Pk Sqn and came back with an AVLB the virtual Staffy would be doubting my RE provenance.

Two more
ch19.jpg

Churchill ARV I towing a tracked trailer with churchill MK II. .jpg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
As there is so much tank knowledge here, can I ask a possibly dumb question please ??

During the last war, when Rommels lads invaded France in 1940 and fought the BEF, an article I read stated that the remaining German troops and supply columns were 20 to 30 KM away
the tank crews used fuel from petrol stations and supply dumps to maintain progress until their bowzers could catch up
how come no one on the French side or our side thought to damage fuel stations and fuel supply depots before this ?
or did they move so quickly that it over ran everybody ??
surely that could have crippled the German advance

As there is so much tank knowledge here, can I ask a possibly dumb question please ??

During the last war, when Rommels lads invaded France in 1940 and fought the BEF, an article I read stated that the remaining German troops and supply columns were 20 to 30 KM away
the tank crews used fuel from petrol stations and supply dumps to maintain progress until their bowzers could catch up
how come no one on the French side or our side thought to damage fuel stations and fuel supply depots before this ?
or did they move so quickly that it over ran everybody ??
surely that could have crippled the German advance
There quite a few instances where supply's were captured and used, sometimes its due to a lack of defenders, sometimes a lack of orders to destroy supply's, often in a belief that any retreat would be a temporary affair and they'd be back in charge before long, to give an example, Khaki Battledresss and Denim Working Dress became standard workwear for U-Boat crews due to the amount of stock sitting in supply dumps that were captured intact after the retreat to Dunkirk.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
There quite a few instances where supply's were captured and used, sometimes its due to a lack of defenders, sometimes a lack of orders to destroy supply's, often in a belief that any retreat would be a temporary affair and they'd be back in charge before long, to give any example, Khaki Battledresss and Denim Working Dress became standard workwear for U-Boat crews due to the amount of stock sitting in supply dumps that were captured intact after the retreat to Dunkirk.
I know the BEF had problems with their radio systems losing channels, thankfully in the next few years some major changes came about and the radio systems were pretty much up to broadcast standard quality
I meant to say for tank lovers there are a few images added every week to the Photos Normandie collection
I saw this unusual weapon posted up today, and there are soem very high quality images of tanks in service during Goodwood

I know the BEF had problems with their radio systems losing channels, thankfully in the next few years some major changes came about and the radio systems were pretty much up to broadcast standard quality
I meant to say for tank lovers there are a few images added every week to the Photos Normandie collection
I saw this unusual weapon posted up today, and there are soem very high quality images of tanks in service during Goodwood
That's an M7 Priest 105mm, the angle of the photo makes it look a bit odd

Back on track

British 79th Armoured Division Churchill Tank Sea Wall pass training.jpg

Bovvy has two Churchills on display at the moment (there's a slack handful of others in storage the Conservation Centre):-

Tank_Museum_20180919_737.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_738.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_739.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_740.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_741.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_742.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_743.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_744.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_745.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_779.jpg
Tank_Museum_20180919_781.jpg