churchill,s speech

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jibman, Jun 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. thought i,d remind everyone of a speech made today 70 years ago today,in my opinion one of the best ever made,feel free if you can think of any others that can compare.

4 June 1940

"I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation.

The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
    we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
    we shall fight on the beaches,
    we shall fight on the landing grounds,
    we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    we shall fight in the hills;
    we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

3. I have this on a CD along with some music and when I reach this speech I have to skip it if I am in the car or I find myself driving through dusty conditions.

Stiring stuff indeed.
  4. I'm a big fan of

"Ohhhhhhhhhhh yessssssssssssssssssssssssss"

Whilst on a serious note, the speech about the many owing the few is excellent too.
  5. Amazing what a good orator can achieve, the man was a consumate speaker. What a shabby bunch we have today, all weaned on the 'meeja sound bite'. The country needs leaders not ten second sound burst merchants.
  6. I read somewhere (cannot remember for the life of me where) that whilst Winston made the speech in the Commons, the recording was done by an actor as the great man himself felt he did'nt have enough time for such things.

Can anybody throw any light on this?
  7. LP Jones

The actor Norman Shelley is often associated with this story, I have no idea whether it is true but I'm sure a quick 'google' will throw some more light on it.
  8. Thanks for the tip.

I shall have a look.

Edited to add : It looks like the rumour is a load of old bollix. Stand down :D
  9. Here's one and it's not wikipedia... Mind you, it is David Irving.
  10. Thanks for the link BS but as you say, "It is David Irving".

He has a bit of an agenda for Winnie and it's not necessarily a good agenda.

Probably does'nt like the fact that Sir Winston beat his hero Hitler.

Thanks anyway :D

Edited to add : This seems to put the rumour to bed >>
  11. Modern politics is no place for great men. It seems that the best we can hope for are competent administrators these days. It's the domain of the professional politician, the Milibands and their ilk. Dragged from the teat of university through the conditioning sheds of the Labour Policy Unit straight into Government. All without the benefit of experience in the world of men. Trained in the delivery of sound bites and trite platitudes, you only have to look at the oily spiv Blair, his henchman Campbell, the often disgraced Mandelson, the Milibands and their contemporaries to see quite how very low we have sunk. Sadly, looking at the opposing parties will give you little comfort. Sadly, we get what we deserve.

I too have Churchill's speeches on CD and actually listen to them from time to time to remind myself that this neutered nation was once a place for great men.
  12. I am a little too young to remember that particular speech when it was originally broadcast. However, I am certainly old enough to remember some of the Great Man's later speeches. It is hard to describe now just what impact they had on the listeners. Modern politicians are mere pygmies when compared with not only Churchill's vision, but also his ability to rouse the people to great things.
  13. I sometimes think that the quality of the " spin doctors " of the 1940`s was far above the present day bunch that politicians employ. The same can be said of the politicians too, of course.
  14. People were much more trusting of their politicians in those days...