Churchill? Doesn't he sell insurance on TV?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Agent_Smith, Feb 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=337338&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

A_S Bangs head off brick wall! :roll:

2. Jay Leno does a roving camera/man-in-the-street bit on The Late Show.

He was buttonholing pedestrians and asking them questions about American history to which (I'd assumed) everyone knew the answers.

He asked a 20-ish gal: Against what country did America fight its Revolutionary War?

She furrowed her brow with concentration and said: "Uhmm......Germany?"

He asked her what she did for a living. Answer: "I'm a teacher."

3. I think Chamberlain's statement (as from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1999/08/99/world_war_ii/430071.stm)

"This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final note stating that, unless we hear from them by 11 o'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Poland, a state of war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is at war with Germany"

.... amounts to us declaring war on them.

On the other hand, America didn't declare war on Germany - it was a surprise to all when the Germans did it first. Many pressures on Roosevelt to limit offensive action to the Nips.

However, education is a marvellous thing, if only .... etc

4. I suppose that you could say that Winston Churchill was the best insurance policy that we ever had.

Sadly, insofar as politicians go these days, we are definitely underinsured.

Cue favourite anecdote:-

Late 1940.

My old dad was being 're-roled' from light ack-ack (because they hadn't got enough Bofors guns, although there was fair stockpile of ammo), onto 3.7" high angle guns (of which they had an ample sufficiency but limited ammo. Nothing changes). This was at a camp up near the Wash.

Winston Churchill came to inspect the camp and was given a tour of the gunsites. At that time WRAC were being trained to work the Sperry predictors and the height finders. These devices were located centrally within an arc, formed by the gun positions, so that all the height and fusing info could be passed readily to the ammo pits and the guns.

Winnie did the usual nosing around and then asked,
    'Where are the toilets?'
    'Over there, sir,' said the battery commander, indicating a hut on the skyline.

Winnie grunted, walked around the gunpit and, with total unconcern, proceeded to p*ss all over the sand bags.

He buttoned up, indicated the blushing WRACS, and said,
    'I'm an old man! I can't run all that way when I want to pass water and neither can these young ladies! Build it closer!'

A great man for detail!