Church refuses Digger's dying wish

pretty disgusting
i've always believed that churches should all grant final or dying wishes within reason, as long as its not offensive. a shame that an old serviceman was refused to have his own national flag draped over his coffin. totally uncalled for and in my opinion, downright disrepectful

Boy, oh Boy, what was this minister thinking? Opposition to the Iraq war is a fair arguement in my book (I am not opposed). Opposition to the second world war, where this man put his nuts on the line, is unthinkable (unless you are some goose-stepping wierdo, that is). I hope people don't think that this sort of thing is representative of the church as a whole.

Perhaps this minister should have stopped to think that without the efforts of this man and many others like him the flag being draped on his coffin could well have been the rising sun.

He also needs to remember that these same mens sacrifices allow him to have and express the opinions he holds, be they right or wrong.

It is oh so easy in todays world to dismiss old soldiers as an irellevance when in fact we should still be celebrating the hard won freedoms they have given us all.

Zippy

Sanctimonius ars+hole. People like him thrive in the freedom and tolerance bought with the blood and sweat of veterans.

scum bag

"Veterans Affairs have been looking at alternative arrangements and with the blessing of Major-General Peter Cosgrove, we have been looking at one of the military's chapels."
Hope the old boy finally gets what he rightly earnt and deserves.

The Rev Wes Campbell;
"I've come to a judgment that fundamentally the gospel calls us to be people of peace and that the church is always to seek reconciliation where possible between enemies," he said yesterday.
Good thing he did not say that 60 odd years ago when the enemy (right on Australia's door step) were a couple of million fanatical Japs. He should pay tribute to the likes of Mr Vipond - who gave him the freedom today to quote the Bible and not be living on a starvation diet of rice and paying homage to the Emperor.

They should tell that god botherer to bugger off and get one that actually puts the respect of the dead in front of his political ideals!

Rest in peace digger. Your country are proud of you veen if the vicar isn't! :evil:

A_S

www.heraldsun.news.com.au said:
"I've come to a judgment that fundamentally the gospel calls us to be people of peace and that the church is always to seek reconciliation where possible between enemies," he said yesterday.
Matthew(10:34) said:
Jesus said, “Think not that I came to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.”
Luke(22:36) said:
Jesus said, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
There might be some debate about that judgement then...

browny31310 said:
This article has my and quite a few others blood boiling

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12413966%5E2862,00.html

Sorry , but the eldery Gent in question served with pride and honour in the WW2 Pacific Campaigns and was refused by his local minister his right of having his coffin drapped in the Australian Flag, because the minister is opposed to the IRAQ war . This peeves me off!!!
I hope that everyone has visited the above link and left some feedback.

Here's mine:
I would like to express my disgust at the way Mr Vipond has been treated by his church ministers. Campbell has no right to treat such a simple wish with such high-handed disdain. His decision is clearly politically rather than spiritually motivated and I believe that Campell should be suspended in order to give him time to reflect upon the true nature of his calling.

Gorman's support for this cynical attempt to garner publicity is at once unhelpful and distasteful. She would do well to learn more about the sacrifices made by Mr Vipond's generation that helped preserve the freedom of speech and worship that she blindly enjoys. Perhaps then she will see the folly of Campbell's decision.
Lets try keep this thread bubbling in the top ten so no-one misses it.

My comments have been sent.

Disgusting! :x

Well done A_S,
More comments to the Herald please.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Feedback has been left at the Herald - you can also e-mail the 'church' in question at:

essendon.secretary@vic.uca.org.au

Is there no end to the depths these people will not sink?

Fortunately this poor excuse for a minister of the church has been roundly condemed by the wide community. Melbourne talk-back radio was full of disgust. Members of his congregation have stated that they are shifting their worship to another church.

Shouldn't be surprised if he is found face down in the font.

The Christian religions amaze me in there obvious stupidity at sending people away from the church.

He is an individual making this "judgement", not the church I hope!
The Church should fire him.
I'd say send him as a Padre to Iraq, but he isn't worthy

RC Sigs,

Unfortunately the official spokeswoman for the Uniting Church has supported the Minister !

Uniting Church of Victoria and Tasmania moderator the Rev Susan Gormann said she had a great respect for Dr Campbell.

"He only made this decision out of full integrity for his understanding of what it is to be a Christian minister, and I believe I can comfortably sit with that as moderator of this church," she said.
So ... a Christian Minister harrasses a family in mourning to make a political point ??

http://vic.uca.org.au/churches/essendon/contact.htm

Likewise, comments sent.
Another example of insipid, 'pc' thinking from the Christian church I'm afraid.
RIP Mr Vipond

Latest Threads