Church abuse cases, should religious leaders shut up shop?

BUT, and I quote from every head of every church, religion, cult in the world, "MINE is the true god, all others are blasphemers".... And the problem is?.......
You can throw the Atheists in to that pot as well. Many of them exhibit the same intolerance of others as do religions.

I can't find the words to explain the unbannability of belief.
What you are suggesting is the banning of people's thoughts. By what mechanism are you going to do that?

You may be able to ban the public expression of those thoughts but the thoughts themselves! Good luck with that.

Stealing is banned, people still do it. Murder is banned, people still do it. I don't see the argument that 'you cannot ban murder.

So whether people still practise a religion when it is banned doesn't alter the fact that it is bannable and such a ban can be enforced.

I can't find the words to explain the unbannability of belief.
Which makes my point that any attempt to ban religion will fail.

You can throw the Atheists in to that pot as well. Many of them exhibit the same intolerance of others as do religions.
Unfortunately you are quite correct, my intolerance is mildly directed to anyone who wrongs me, its called human nature, I do not condone it, and as for religious zealots, I smile, nod, and move away, arguing with them is fatal. Its an argument you cannot win, for they are correct, and you are a heathen. end.

ugly

LE
Which makes my point that any attempt to ban religion will fail.
However a decent society will make such crimes socially unacceptable, drink driving in the UK, Religion in Communist Eastern Europe for example!

ugly

LE
Unfortunately you are quite correct, my intolerance is mildly directed to anyone who wrongs me, its called human nature, I do not condone it, and as for religious zealots, I smile, nod, and move away, arguing with them is fatal. Its an argument you cannot win, for they are correct, and you are a heathen. end.
You give in too easily. I usually if I have time and the jehovas call have a good bit of banter by pretending to be Jewish and getting them in a twist over the old testament!
If its in pheasant season (they normally doorstep on a Saturday) I just put my parental warning poster of the bible in the porch window. That seems to work.
bible-warning.jpg

What you are suggesting is the banning of people's thoughts. By what mechanism are you going to do that?

You may be able to ban the public expression of those thoughts but the thoughts themselves! Good luck with that.
I wasn't suggesting banning people's thoughts but rather the impossibility of banning them. I'm saying that I can't find the words to explain or argue the problem, from any angle, thus emphasising the impossibility.

I agree about public expression.

You give in too easily. I usually if I have time and the jehovas call have a good bit of banter by pretending to be Jewish and getting them in a twist over the old testament!
If its in pheasant season (they normally doorstep on a Saturday) I just put my parental warning poster of the bible in the porch window. That seems to work. View attachment 327785
I am Jewish, non practicing, couldn't give a shit, short story, slightly off thread:- moving in day, 30 years ago, Doris and kids at my sisters 6 miles away, 2 lorry loads of furniture, 6 blokes , me directing traffic, total chaos, up rocks the local sky pilot, in the middle of the hustle and confusion I get the "Welcome to the parish my son" cobblers, I am in no mood for fairy tales and bloody legends, and tell him so, adding "I'm Jewish" omitting that Doris and sprogs are CoE, his face was a picture, deflated, and slightly disgusted, exit one very confused god botherer, As of date, nothing more heard, OUT.

Last edited:
Quite so. But you make the point quite nicely that while particular religions come and go, the majority of human beings have a need to worship something bigger than themselves. A God, many Gods, science and so on. Religions may die, religion doesn't.
You are right. People seem to have an inbuilt need for something to believe in, something to make sense of existence.

Odd beings these humans.

Latest Threads