Church abuse cases, should religious leaders shut up shop?

ugly

LE
Archbishop 'ashamed' of Church over abuse

If the UK's official top god botherer is ashamed of his church (and he's not the only one that should be either) perhaps its about time that religion was taken out of the state and lost its recognition and patronage from the Royals and Parliament.
Serious thread, please reply sensibly

All Religions imho should be banned.
It seems to me that anyone who is in a position of power with their own particular brand of sky pixie followers can abuse that position. No matter if they are Catholic, protestant, Muslim, Moonie, or some other weird god bothered, all religions seem to attract predatory kiddy fiddlers.

Should the army lose its recognition and patronage from the Royal Family and Parliament because some of its members have, from time to time, done dreadful things that CGS has felt he had to apologise for?

I'm certainly not excusing kid-fiddling clergy, but why don't teachers and educators have their trade held in the same opprobrium as the church/mosque/synagogue? It seems that they're as equally bad as men of the cloth for underage activity.

When at an educational establishment not a million miles from Horsham in the 1980s I was confirmed by the now convicted bishop of Chichester, Peter Ball. One of the people Welby is now having to manage the fallout from.

Presently my history teacher, chaplain and squash master from that same school are going through the courts on sexual abuse charges. Perhaps innocent, perhaps not. Last year two former masters of the school (not my era) were convicted for abuse - one a repeat offender.

If the chaplain is convicted I think it will bode very ill for the CofE - perhaps Welby is getting in some preemptive remorse?

It’s an outrage that this happened. To the subject of the post, sadly I think that ill governed and complacent places like Christ’s Hospital School was (perhaps still is) will allow abuse to take place and it’s not necessarily material if they are lay or clergy?

I challenge anyone to explain the difference between a religion and a cult, both appear to be crutches for the deluded.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Archbishop 'ashamed' of Church over abuse

If the UK's official top god botherer is ashamed of his church (and he's not the only one that should be either) perhaps its about time that religion was taken out of the state and lost its recognition and patronage from the Royals and Parliament.
Serious thread, please reply sensibly
He's England's top God-botherer, not the UK's. Religion is disestablished in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

ugly

LE
He's England's top God-botherer, not the UK's. Religion is disestablished in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Time for the remainder to reject it then

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Time for the remainder to reject it then
Couldn't agree more mate. Will never happen though - too much vested interest in HoL seats, the Head of State being head of England's state church etc.

Is there a higher position CofE god botherer in the the UK?
If not then your sectarian hair splitting is showing.

Couldn't agree more mate. Will never happen though - too much vested interest in HoL seats, the Head of State being head of England's state church etc.
(my bold) Maybe not in future. I seem to remember that Charles wants to be 'defender of faith' rather than 'defender of the faith'.

Is there a higher position CofE god botherer in the the UK?
If not then your sectarian hair splitting is showing.
There are equal ranking Anglican bishops in England, Wales, Scotland and NI. All Anglican but only one C of E, the geographical indicator being in the name.

There are equal ranking Anglican bishops in England, Wales, Scotland and NI. All Anglican but only one C of E, the geographical indicator being in the name.
So by definition he is the topped ranked CofE type in the UK?

It's like saying the Pope isn't No1 catholic because we aren't catholic.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
So by definition he is the topped ranked CofE type in the UK?

It's like saying the Pope isn't No1 catholic because we aren't catholic.
He didn't say that though, did he? There was no mention of the C of E: it's your mind that's read that bit. He said the UK's top: which is incorrect. Anglicanism is only the state religion of England.

He didn't say that though, did he? There was no mention of the C of E: it's your mind that's read that bit. He said the UK's top: which is incorrect. Anglicanism is only the state religion of England.
Helps if you can read. I claim anti-flu self medication as a mitigating circumstance and society is to blame.

I wonder if the creature Blair has ever mentioned the mega nonce Canon Grove of Durham Choristers school, which of course he attended whilst nicking off watching Wor Jackie at Walthamstow dog track.

What it is the purpose of religion in modern society, ? surey if we just want to be lectured to about our place in the world we're not lacking in social justice warriors

What it is the purpose of religion in modern society, ? surey if we just want to be lectured to about our place in the world we're not lacking in social justice warriors
The purpose of religion is to see that it's power is never questioned, to raise money and of course control the gullible who have a need for some kind of moral code to be handed to them because if a mythical invisible all powerful being said so, it must be right. Rather than simply thinking for ourselves. (Yes. You are all individuals.. etc etc)

It's also a great place to gain access to the vulnerable and weak, commit various crimes and then, of course for some, simply ask for forgiveness. Other religions may go with 'it was gods will's and let's not forget you can always use religion to spread hatred as apparently "God hates fags" - (he's smokes a pipe)

Don't dare point out inconsistencies in he bible by the way, that's herecy. (God is both omnipresent and not omnipresent, while you are busy turning the other cheek and of course taking an eye for an eye.....)

There is one part of the Bible that makes sense and is the only part anyone needs to take note of, and that's the 'do unto others' bit. I've summarised it in my forthcoming book entitled "Don't be a dick"

It's one page long. Contains one sentence and there is no copyright.

I challenge anyone to explain the difference between a religion and a cult, both appear to be crutches for the deluded.
When one person talks to an imaginary being, they're considered to be suffering from a mental illness. When millions do it, it's called religion

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Sappers 23
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
S Officers 43