Chronologically ordered list of aircraft?

37ucv67i

War Hero
So, I've thought out a cunning plan: Get a chronologically ordered list of aircraft, find out which ones are particularly interesting from a historical or technical point of view, find out which ones of these are available as model kits for a reasonable price, get to work on reconstructing aircraft history by assembling those models in chronological order. Problem seems to be that finding a chronologically ordered list of aircraft types that is exhaustive enough for the purpose, whether printed or on-line, is not as easy as I first thought. Anyone have any idea where to look or know of a viable starting point? I'm grateful for any hints.

So, I've thought out a cunning plan: Get a chronologically ordered list of aircraft, find out which ones are particularly interesting from a historical or technical point of view, find out which ones of these are available as model kits for a reasonable price, get to work on reconstructing aircraft history by assembling those models in chronological order. Problem seems to be that finding a chronologically ordered list of aircraft types that is exhaustive enough for the purpose, whether printed or on-line, is not as easy as I first thought. Anyone have any idea where to look or know of a viable starting point? I'm grateful for any hints.
This any help!

daz

LE
Might be better narrowing it down by country and decade

In your own time, go on. I'm sure in about 10 years when you've mannered to compile a reasonable amount of the data, people will be mildly interested to see where the gaps and omissions of all those bizarre prototypes that may/may not have ever achieved flight are on the list.

Might be better narrowing it down by country and decade
And Type eg
Bombers
Fighters
Transports
Weird shit

That probably covers a god chink of the 30s and 40s

Somewhere around ive seen an old Janes all the worlds aircraft ( as in in my mitts) which had everything for quite a period including engines and avionics

If I find it ill let you know what it covers

Chronologically would be difficult, but in the 1980s, there was a part work called The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Aircraft - here's the wiki page for it - which had a section A-Z of Aircraft. This covered pretty much every aircraft, including some hugely obscure types, that had been built up to that point, with a commentary upon each.

You can find the full 12 (I think it was) volume set on ebay, and although you do have to part with a reasonable sum of dosh, it is probably worth it (although how they missed the Bristol Fighter out of the 'World's Greatest Aircraft' feature still puzzles me as a source, albeit - obviously - it now misses out the last 35 years (it finished in 1985) of air history.

That would be a good starting point for what could be a fairly long list.

Latest Threads