Chrome OS Notebooks

I see that Lidl have a Acer Chrome Notebook at £199

Are these Notebooks any good

Anyone using one and have pitfalls and advantages !

Archie

As ever, the specification is the key.
For your money you will be buying a machine with slow processor, only 2GB of RAM & only 32GB of storage & don't expect a touchscreen!

If all you want is some light internet surfing and email then it's probably ok and will have decent battery life, but if you want to get proper use out of a machine then you need at least 4GB of RAM and 100GB of storage.

There are plenty of more capable capable machines for similar money. Loads on ebay and gumtree

For your money you will be buying a machine with slow processor, only 2GB of RAM & only 32GB of storage & don't expect a touchscreen!

If all you want is some light internet surfing and email then it's probably ok and will have decent battery life, but if you want to get proper use out of a machine then you need at least 4GB of RAM and 100GB of storage.

There are plenty of more capable capable machines for similar money. Loads on ebay and gumtree
How much RAM does he/she need for Arrse.

And xhamster?

endure

GCM
What's the spec?

I bought an Acer R11 from Ebay for £140 and I'm really pleased with it. 11.6 inch touch screen 4GB of RAM and 32GB SSD. It's got an SD card slot so you can add an extra 128Gb of storage for 20 quid. Battery lasts for ~10 hours. Practically instant start up and fast enough for day to day things.

All modern Chromebooks have got access to the Android Playstore so you can download most of the apps on there too.

It's basically a combination of a Chrome browser with a screen and keyboard and an android phone with a big screen. If you just use it for web browsing and light stuff like most people do it will be worth having but don't expect it to do any heavy lifting.

The most annoying thing with mine is that if you open a website up in Chrome that also has an app on the Playstore it will nag you to download the app and use that instead.

Chrome OS is not MS Windows

It's Linux based and a lightweight OS which doesn't require lots of RAM and HDD/SSD

I know. But 2GB is still measly and it runs a lot faster with 4GB if you have a few tabs open.

Basically, the Lidl machine is on for the same price at Currys and is a minimum base spec machine with a minimum base spec resolution non-touch screen.

As I said, for a bit of light internet browsing, occasional xhamster youtube videos then it's ok. But don't try anything like photo editing because it will be painfully slow.

There are lots of better spec machines out there at similar prices. Better still, go up to £299 and get something decent.

I know. But 2GB is still measly and it runs a lot faster with 4GB if you have a few tabs open.

Basically, the Lidl machine is on for the same price at Currys and is a minimum base spec machine with a minimum base spec resolution non-touch screen.

As I said, for a bit of light internet browsing, occasional xhamster youtube videos then it's ok. But don't try anything like photo editing because it will be painfully slow.

There are lots of better spec machines out there at similar prices. Better still, go up to £299 and get something decent.
Even the most basic Android (on which Chrome OS is sort of based on) phones seem to come with a minimum of 4 to 6GB these days...going all the way up to 8 or 10GB.

I know memory is not everything, my old school iPhone 6S only has 2GB but somehow manages to perform better than 4GB Android phones. An OS matters a lot too. And because Apple has locked down theirs so tightly, they managed to optimize theirs very well.

It really all depends on your needs. I really couldn't care which OS/MFR/Make it is..whatever works for your individual needs.

endure

GCM
Agree with DN. 2GB is not enough. You might want to look at laptopsdirect or look for a refurb with a warranty on ebay.

I reccomend the Acre R11 CB5-132T as long as it's got 4GB of RAM. Nice clear touchscreen.

Agree with DN. 2GB is not enough. You might want to look at laptopsdirect or look for a refurb with a warranty on ebay.

I reccomend the Acre R11 CB5-132T as long as it's got 4GB of RAM. Nice clear touchscreen.
I think it's down to personal preferences, but I am not fan of touch screen laptops....they just get smudgy all the all the time if you keep touching your screen. My phone gets all dirty enough already!

Maybe I am getting older! :)

How much RAM does he/she need for Arrse.

And xhamster?
This is a specification that every ARRSER should know about any laptop or desktop he/she/it is considering purchasing. Would not want to be disappointed with your choice. :pc::thumright: I would say another key factor to look at is storage space. Hard drives with a minimum of 1 TB would be best. At a pinch, one can pick up exterior hard drives for storage with 3 TB connected to the computer with USB 2.0 cable or better cheaply.

endure

GCM
This is a specification that every ARRSER should know about any laptop or desktop he/she/it is considering purchasing. Would not want to be disappointed with your choice. :pc::thumright: I would say another key factor to look at is storage space. Hard drives with a minimum of 1 TB would be best. At a pinch, one can pick up exterior hard drives for storage with 3 TB connected to the computer with USB 2.0 cable or better cheaply.

Chromebooks don't rely on storage. They aren't laptops in the normal sense. They're the hardware version of a browser with extra cloud storage.

Comparing them to 'normal' laptops isn't helpful.

Chromebooks don't rely on storage. They aren't laptops in the normal sense. They're the hardware version of a browser with extra cloud storage.

Comparing them to 'normal' laptops isn't helpful.
All about the cloud for Chrome OSs.

Latest Threads