Christmas Pudding/ Cake

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by vinniethemanxcat, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is Barbados Rum Cake, or Great Cake, they use it for celebrations, a friend of ours over there gave me the recipe, it's the best I've ever tasted, just made my own now to take to the family get together.

You can serve it hot as a Christmas pudding or cold as slices of cake and a little goes a long way.

INGREDIENTS

3lbs of mixed fruit (I use 2lb of sultanas and 1lb of LIDL luxury dried fruit- prunes, apricots, apple etc, but suit yourself)
    200ml of dark rum
    150ml port or sherry (even red wine)
    5 large eggs
    1/2 lb of dark brown sugar
    1/2lb of real butter
    1 tsp vanilla esscence
    2 tablespoons of browning
    1tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    pinch of ground cloves
    8oz flour
    1 heaped tsp baking powder
    Zest and juice 1 lime
    (4oz of finely chopped nuts if no one is allergic)

Put handfuls of fruit at a time through a blender, shouldn't be a paste, but nicely chopped.

When all chopped, put in a large glass or stainless dish and add all the spices, the lime and the alcohol. Leave to marinade for at least 24 hours, with clingfilm over the top

Using a large bowl, cream the eggs, sugar and butter, add the flour and baking powder, then mix in the fruit.

Turn on oven and heat to 130c

Butter or line with baking paper, a large dish (I use a roasting tin ) then tip in the mixture and smooth flat.

Put a large roasting tin or dish with an inch of water on the bottom shelf, and place the mixture on a shelf above it.

Check after 1 hour, turn down to 120c for further 30 minutes then allow to cool.

Put 2 layers of clingfim on a flat tray, trim the edges of the cake if required, so the edges of the film can be raised around the cake.

Prick all over with a skewer, give it a little drink of rum, then clingfilm over the top to seal.

Every 2- 3 weeks open it up and give it another shot till Christmas.

It's almost black, moist and sticky.

You can warm it and set some flaming rum on top, or serve as a cake, some people like it with crumbly cheese.

It's better than anything you can buy......