Christmas present ideas - books.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Issimondias, Dec 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chaps,

This may sound a bit daft, but me and my missus have decided only to buy each other a book for Christmas this year, so what i'd like to know is can anybody recommend a good book that I can ask for?

I've got all of the Anthony Beevor books( Stalingrad, Berlin, The Spanish Civil War) and i'm looking for similar Military History/History/anything that's a good read really.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Issi

2. Blood, Tears & Folly An Objective Look At World War II by Len Deighton (ISBN 0-7126-6226-X).

I found this to be a really enjoyable and educational read and I still dip in to re-read sections. It's a 'proper' history book, but written in Deighton's novelist style, it really is gripping and drags the reader into the 'story'. I've read an awful lot of books about WWII but I can't rate this one highly enough.

3. Fireforce by Chris Cocks

4. recently read that i enjoyed -

'Friendly Fire' the secret war between the allies - Lynn Picknett, ClivePrince, Stepthen Prior.

the intrigue and treachery between - and within - the nations that were ostensibly allies during the Second World War, puts a whole new slant on your view of WW2.

5. 'Redcoat: the British soldier in the age of horse and musket' by Richard Holmes is good if you're looking for non fiction.

It's well researched and a good insight.

6. My other half has just bought "witness to war" which is a collection of diary entries from people from all walks during the 2nd WW - seems to be finding it a good read so far

7. "Whicker's War" by Alan Whicker. Following the Eighth Army up Italy in 1943-5. Available as book, CD and DVD.

8. Cry Bosnia by Paul Harris is excellent if you want something a bit closer to home. Superb, moving photographs as well as great war writing.

9. 'My war gone by I miss it so' by Antony Loyd, the best Bosnia book out there.

10. The two John Masters biographies, clearly (You can't go wrong with Bugles and a Tiger, only 7 quid in paperback, or The Road Past Mandalay), Quartered Safe out Here by George macDonald Fraser, Max Hastings' Warriors was a good general read and not too taxing, just read a book about troop commanders experiences in Bosnia (Cleanse their souls?) which was excellent. If you want to stretch yourself a bit the new book by Rupert Smith is worth a serious read. What sort of subject area interest you most?

11. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1853676403/?tag=armrumser-21

How to Stage a Military Coup: Planning to Execution
    Ken Connor, David Hebditch

Contains some interesting parts how it could be done in the UK. Very interesting read.

Should be on issue to make sure the government keeps in line! :D

12. if you enjoyed Stalingrad, Hastings' Armageddon provides a much more satisfying read on 1945 than the Beevor Berlin.

13. "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason.

Non gung-ho account of a helicopter pilot in the Vietnam war. A very interesting read, especially for the honest account of the events after the war for him.