Christmas? Not at Public Expense!

We have no money.
We are cutting 60,000 plus jobs (roughly 25% of the UK defence establishment).
Billions of pounds are being taken out of spending programmes to try and get the budget in balance.

Yet you want to spend money we don't have on christmas trees and other christmas decorations? Is this really the best use of our immensely scarce resources?

It wasn't that long ago that everyone was outraged that the banks threw lavish parties for their staff despite being up shits creek.

How quickly some people forget.

That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings...

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I've made personal yuletide austerity measures, no tree no Christmas cards, no presents and no God awful Turkey. If I can make these sacrifices i'm sure everyone else can.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Will this spread across other departments? It's not as if it is only MoD that is skint. Will CallMe Dave be paying for FOB Christmas Tree outside No 10 and drinky poos for the staff before knock-off for Christmas? I don't think so.

You are the Grinch and I claim my £5.
Scrooge is the relevant non braindead septic term.

I can see why the L'Académie française get so upset sometimes !

I thought this had been the case for a few years now? No problems from this end - and I'm sure the righteous on this website would be quick to spit venom into the pages of their Daily Wail when it published the inevitable "Pen-pushers eat turkey while our boys are led by them" bollocks.

And to be honest, whats the attraction of a few mince pies at HMG's expense during the work day, when everyone's going to be decanting from MB early for a few cheeky Magners on the Belgrano, followed by a mixed meal for 6 at Thai Square, then slut-trawling in Weatherspoons?

Z

Zarathustra

Who cares, looking at this from a low level I doubt that there are any units that couldn't afford to pay for this sort of shite out of their own funds.

I particularly commend these excerpts from the missive:

The message is that expenditure on Christmas activity is prohibited. It is important that full records of any Christmas expenditure are kept.

And to be honest, whats the attraction of a few mince pies at HMG's expense during the work day, when everyone's going to be decanting from MB early for a few cheeky Magners on the Belgrano, followed by a mixed meal for 6 at Thai Square, then slut-trawling in Weatherspoons?
Yes, as most Units will close down for Officers to Sergeants, Sergeants to Officers, Boys' Christmas dinner & block leave from mid-December until mid January (items 1 & 2 paid for by Mess members, item 3 just the usual meal with the Officers & Seniors waiting on & proving somethig can be more incompetent than conmtractors' staff) there's no need for official functions. In fact the QM would be delighted as he can turn the heating off earlier & gain more MBE Brownie points :wink:

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
This is nothing new and, to be fair, is only right in these times of austerity.

Besides, if we let the British Tax Payer pay for Christmas, then what about Diwali (sp) and all the other non-Christian religious or pagan festivals? Where would it stop?

Where I work we normally provide our own Christmas goodies/ events etc. I'm sure people will survive. I'm sure there are a few venues and events companies bricking it though as they rake it in organising events which many big companies could arrange themselves with a pen, diary and phone.
Yep, same here. I actually pay for a dinner for my dept out of my own pocket rather than pay for it out of the Dept budget. To me it means more to the staff and my expense budget remains in good health.