• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Christmas is Cancelled Again!

It's OK Oxford County Council has cancelled Christmas.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...anned-in-Oxford-by-council-owned-charity.html

Thankfully everyman and his dog has said that they are muppets!

The UK get worse!

Even where I am the Hotels etc are allowed to play Christmas carols, have Christmas trees etc.

In fact the local childrens parent's complained last yearthat the British Curriculum School that my kids goto didn't celebrate it enough !

My Pants are firmly off in disgust with the OCC!

Didn't they say the same about Birmingham last year and it turned out not to be true?

complete piss take! its taking PC way too far.

It isn't all bad news, they intend to force feed people caught fasting over Rammadan, with pork pies!

Here we go again.
This story is wheeled out every year (normally by the daily mail).....and this year the outrage bus goes to........................Oxford.
I bet we find an apology at the bottom of page 7 in next weeks Torygraph.

As far up the paper as Page 7???

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Jesus wept. It's not cancelled, it's a two month festival over the winter months. It's like the 'Winterval' fake outrage pish all over again.

Now now PR, don't let the facts get in the way of a rabble-rouse by the Telegraph :D

What the hell has happened to that once august organ? Used to love reading the Torygraph for a good Harrumph!! Now I'm harrumphing at the standard of journalism within. Most unsatisfactory. It lets the side down, very 2nd XI.

Prince_Rupert said:
Jesus wept. It's not cancelled, it's a two month festival over the winter months. It's like the 'Winterval' fake outrage pish all over again.
See there you go again - ruining a perfectly good outrage with - facts 8)

If the dopey feckers had left out PC sh1t - inclusiveness - nobody would have noticed. WTF do they mean by inclusive - were they expecting a big sign saying NO MUSLIMS, JEWS, HINDUS, SIKHS ALLOWED?

rickshaw-major said:
Prince_Rupert said:

If the dopey feckers had left out PC sh1t - inclusiveness - nobody would have noticed. WTF do they mean by inclusive - were they expecting a big sign saying NO MUSLIMS, JEWS, HINDUS, SIKHS ALLOWED?
Have you got an NSN for those signs?

rickshaw-major said:
Prince_Rupert said:

Just a question - Will this "Winter" Festival continue much into the New Year? As winter officially runs from December to February and this festival starts in November, it appears to be a Christmas Festival, not a Winter festival.

Met Office Clicky

However Oxford City Council have released a statement to refute the claims of banning Christmas:

Statement on Christmas Celebrations 2008

Released on 3 Nov 2008

After recent articles in the local and national press about Christmas Celebrations in Oxford, we have issued the following statement.

Councillor Bob Price, Leader Oxford City Council says: "Oxford City Council has not 'banned Christmas' and has not banned the use of the word 'Christmas'. The Council has not even considered doing either of these.

"Oxford City Council will celebrate Christmas 2008 in the same way as it has celebrated all previous Christmases: we will have Christmas trees in the Town Hall and in Broad Street, the Lord Mayor will host a Christmas reception for community workers and will hold the annual Christmas Carols event, and we will be sending out Christmas cards.

"Oxford Inspires, who is jointly funded by Oxford University, Oxford Brookes University, the City and County Councils and the Arts Council to sponsor cultural and arts events across the county, designed the WinterLight event for 2008. This builds on the very successful event of December 2007, with the same name, which involved the late night opening of many museums and galleries, with musical events, food and drink, and activities for children.

"For Christmas 2008, Oxford Inspires agreed with the City Council to time the WinterLight event for November and to have it on the same evening as the switch on of the city centre Christmas Lights and the re-opening of Bonn Square.

"Oxford Inspires WinterLight event in Oxford builds on similar events in many cities across the world where the arrival of darker evenings and colder weather creates the opportunity for some magical and exciting events in public buildings and public squares. It is a cultural event without any specific reference to the religious festivals that also occur in this period."

A spokesman for Oxford Inspires says: "WinterLight Oxford is part of a wider countywide programme which incorporates Christmas Lights switch on events in towns from Abingdon to Woodstock, Christmas Carol concerts, pantomimes and other seasonal events.

"Other Oxfordshire towns have events which combine their Christmas Lights switch on with other entertainment - such as Woodstock's "Night of a Thousand Candles" on 29th November or Burford's Advent Fair on 30th November."
Unhitch the outrage bandwagon and put the horse of disgust back in his stall, with a nosebag of oats, and relax.

Ish.

"Oxford Inspires, who is jointly funded by Oxford University, Oxford Brookes University, the City and County Councils and the Arts Council to sponsor cultural and arts events across the county, designed the WinterLight event for 2008. This builds on the very successful event of December 2007, with the same name, which involved the late night opening of many museums and galleries, with musical events, food and drink, and activities for children."

He's a decent enough fellow is our Oxford!

cernunnos said:
rickshaw-major said:
Prince_Rupert said:

Local purchase Mate. Look for the local branch of RacistsRUs 8)

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Good grief! People coming together to mark the darker months and have a bit of a party? That's outrageous and we've only been doing it here for more than two thousand yea....oh.

Prince_Rupert said:
Good grief! People coming together to mark the darker months and have a bit of a party? That's outrageous and we've only been doing it here for more than two thousand yea....oh.
Bearing in mind that the Druids have been partying at Stonehenge since 3000BC and celebrating Yule for longer than that, why should we worry about a PC organisation from changing anything. Or could it be that if we don't, the sun will not be reborn and we will spend the rest of our lives in an eternal winter? :D As I remember it pagans used to sacrifice a person to ensure the rising of the new sun. How about starting with the Oxford Inspire crew? :twisted:

Ish.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
ishinryu said:
Prince_Rupert said:
Bearing in mind that the Druids have been partying at Stonehenge since 3000BC and celebrating Yule for longer than that, why should we worry about a PC organisation from changing anything. Or could it be that if we don't, the sun will not be reborn and we will spend the rest of our lives in an eternal winter? :D

Ish.
Mate, I agree entirely. Was having a wee pop at those newspapers (allegedly) who seem to be jumping on the Winterval bandwagon :D

ishinryu said:
Prince_Rupert said:
Bearing in mind that the Druids have been partying at Stonehenge since 3000BC and celebrating Yule for longer than that, why should we worry about a PC organisation from changing anything. Or could it be that if we don't, the sun will not be reborn and we will spend the rest of our lives in an eternal winter? :D As I remember it pagans used to sacrifice a person to ensure the rising of the new sun. How about starting with the Oxford Inspire crew? :twisted:

Ish.
Is that true? Now you've got me worried. I appears I will have to drink and eat to excess this Yuletide; I'll take one for the Team on this - even having square sliced sausage, dead piggy baconn, sausages, black pudding and fried eggs on said morning :excited:

rickshaw-major said:
Is that true? Now you've got me worried. I appears I will have to drink and eat to excess this Yuletide; I'll take one for the Team on this - even having square sliced sausage, dead piggy baconn, sausages, black pudding and fried eggs on said morning :excited:
Stop moaning you old codger.

No doubt, you'll be celebrating Christmas with your Hrvatica on the 24/25th then New Year a week later. Then, for good measure, you'll be off to BL for a second round starting on the 6th of Jan. :)

If you've got any sense you'll find some Muslim festival too to mix in.

Personally, I'm doing just the first to unless my neighbour lets me know of some Muslim bash that he's sponsoring. :))))

cernunnos said:
rickshaw-major said:
Prince_Rupert said:

There's loads of Hindu people live in my area, and they ALL celebrate Christmas, they have the trees, the decorations. and the kids all get pressies. I will admit though, you don't see them at Midnight Mass. :D

whitecity said:
rickshaw-major said:
Stop moaning you old codger.

No doubt, you'll be celebrating Christmas with your Hrvatica on the 24/25th then New Year a week later. Then, for good measure, you'll be off to BL for a second round starting on the 6th of Jan. :)

If you've got any sense you'll find some Muslim festival too to mix in.

Personally, I'm doing just the first to unless my neighbour lets me know of some Muslim bash that he's sponsoring. :))))
Ah sadly no! The Bosanska Zena wouldn't be too happy - but she'll be even unhappier when she finds out I am going back to Bonnie Scotland to see Mater and Pater - hence the square sliced sausage!

Oh Happy Days!

However I most certainly will fall in with our Orthodox Brethern perhaps taking in a small, pear-based refreshment to celebrate the coming of the Orthodox Lord - and dead piggy!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AsterixTG The NAAFI Bar 65
supermatelot Travel 49
Forces Pension Society Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1