Christmas Ham

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Kakashi, Dec 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I've got about a kilo and half leftover, **** am I going to do with it?

There's only so many ham and cheese toasties I can make

2. Curry it. Bake it. Give it to the dog. The cat. Freeze it for later. Shove it up yer arrse.

3. Cut up small , mix with eggs and make an omelette

Cut up small, mix with mac and cheese and bake in a casserole

grill slices until brown like bacon, make a sandwich

If it is ham with a bone use the bone to make split pea soup or lentil soup

4. Take it to your local homeless shelter or whatever the local varient of the soup kitchens is.

5. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

not buy such a big one next year.
    learn from your mistakes.

6. Make soup.

Chow Fan

Cheesy bake with ham

7. Cut into fine strips and make a Nazi Goreng.

8. Next time find/buy some friends and that way you won't have any left over...

cut into small pieces and mix with mushroom soup and pieces of leek, now use as pie filling or stir into (cooked) pasta

9. Take it to a local old people homes

that will learn you

10. Leave it where some local foxes will find it, they'll be glad of the treat.

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In front of my house please, Its too foggy to go out to zero!

12. My daughter suggested this as we were left with rather a lot of food, but (although I didn't phone to check) I would expect HSE would not allow this.

Dice some of the ham, grate some cheese and mix it in with freshly cooked pasta. Easy-peasy lightish meal that takes about 20 minutes to prepare. Kids love it and if you sneak in some peas you get them to eat some veggies too.

13. I'd also add a small tub of Dairylea and a splash of milk to the hot pasta!! My kids call it Cheesy-Peas for some reason.

14. Tartiflette

1.5kg medium-sized red potatoes, such as Desirée
    1 large white onion, peeled and diced
    2 thick slices of leftover ham, diced or in strips
    25g butter
    1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
    sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 ripe Reblochon cheese or any leftover cheese board scraps, grated
    Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 5.
    Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the potatoes whole, in their skins, for 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, cook the onion and ham in the butter in a heavy frying pan over a medium heat; they should sweat but not brown.
    Drain the potatoes and as soon as they are cool enough to handle peel them — the quicker the better. Slice thickly across.
    Choose an ovenproof earthenware dish and rub it well with the out halves of garlic. Layer half the sliced potatoes across the base, season, then scatter over the onion and ham mixture. Add the remaining potatoes and more seasoning.
    Place the whole Reblochon on top, or top with 3 good big handfuls of grated cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180C/350’F/gas mark 4 for a further 20—25 minutes.