• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Christmas grant leave........or lack of

Is it normal for a Units CO not to allow any 'grant' days off over a Christmas stand-down and making all leave submitted to be taken off the annual entitlement? I have been in the Army approximately 17 yrs and until recently, have never heard of a CO not giving any over that period. I am aware that it is at the COs disretion but it just seems ridiculous and cheap to me. 8O

Dont know about now, but when I was in it was the case that personnel would get amixture of grant/leave, but if they had kicked to ass out of annual leave in the summer and had nothing left for christmas, then they would be first point of call for christmas duties!

There's 4 public holidays over the Christmas leave period. When you submit your abscence request you put down the weekdays you're away minus 4. Simple. It's not as if your CO will be inputting your JPA leave of absence request.

OK on JPAnts you have your annual entitlement of 30 days and now an additional 8 grant days are automatically added.

So look again at your 09/10 entitlement and it should make sense.

FiveAlpha said:
There's 4 public holidays over the Christmas leave period. When you submit your abscence request you put down the weekdays you're away minus 4. Simple. It's not as if your CO will be inputting your JPA leave of absence request.
Public holidays are included in the JPA Annual Leave Allowance, therefore should be included when submitting a leave request.

Grant days may be given, but are at the discretion of the CO, usually for an exceptional period of work, exercise, ops etc.

As stated, I realise that it is the COs discretion and that I realise that Bank holidays are included and added to the entitlement, taking it to 38 days. My post asked if the majority of Units / COs gave 'grant' leave over Christmas, as every Christmas I have seen in the Army, I have been given grant leave which is 'topped up' with annual leave.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me with that big fat wedge of REN leave sat in the 'bank'.........waiting :)

Has your Unit been very busy over last 18 months with people struggling to take leave entitlement? (What Units arent busy these days?!) It could just be the CO trying to bring everyones leave entitlement down so come APril when the figures for outstanding leave go up the CoC... He doesn't get a kicking!

Azrael2006 said:
Has your Unit been very busy over last 18 months with people struggling to take leave entitlement? (What Units arent busy these days?!) It could just be the CO trying to bring everyones leave entitlement down so come APril when the figures for outstanding leave go up the CoC... He doesn't get a kicking!
39 days left on my card. :)

sapperbraindead said:
Christmas leave?Miss out on being served strong drink by your 'Seniors & betters?' on Christmas Day?What has the mob come to?(Gunfire?) :slow: :drunken:
This callsign will be doing "Gunfire" * at the Beach. The lucky lucky fellas.

*Cofftea with a bit of random rum. Imagine their faces when I give them a wake up call about half way down?

Dale xxx

Slim I never went near RHQ unless I was checking your stationery store for shiny things, stealing them then bollocking the C/Clerk for ordering them in the first place, like shooting fish in a barrel or stealing sweets off the kids. XXX

Boogieman said:
As stated, I realise that it is the COs discretion and that I realise that Bank holidays are included and added to the entitlement, taking it to 38 days. My post asked if the majority of Units / COs gave 'grant' leave over Christmas, as every Christmas I have seen in the Army, I have been given grant leave which is 'topped up' with annual leave.

Personally, it doesn't really bother me with that big fat wedge of REN leave sat in the 'bank'.........waiting :)
CO's grant are often passed down from Brigade. To be honest, we get 38 days leave (inc Public Holidays)....why would a CO wish to grant more? If a unit has been busy on ops, then due to POL, most people will have shed loads of leave anyway, so why grant even more leave which will not get taken?

u need at least 10 days for christmas

so u plan your leave with the 38 accordingly plus any days b/f from the previous leave year.

If you have leave left it seems very unlikely that a CO will grant anymore.

Cutting it fine on the Ren Lve though fella

The maths is simple, particulary if you run a block leave system.

30 + 8 = 38 days!

Easter - 2 weeks - 10 working days (Normally 8 days +2PH [Good Friday / Easter Monday]out of the '+8')

Summer - 3 weeks (15 days)

Christmas - 2 weeks - 10 working days (7 days + 3 PH [Christmas Day / Boxing Day / New Years Day])

For those that have done the sums, this leaves 3 days left - 2 PH in May and 1 at the end of Aug.

Addl grant days are sometimes given (e.g Queens Birthday). Some of these are 'official' within the regs and some (quite often) are unofficial (not within the regs) but are hidden at a local level.

POTL / RENLEAVE / PATERNITY LEAVE / RELOCATION LEAVE (on which you DO NOT get LOA - Don't ask why!) etc are all extra.

Essentialy some times you win and sometimes you don't!

We got given 2 days grant for Xmas and 2 days a few months ago for a long weekend.

I know it still happens because I gave everyone in the unit (at the time) the extra days on their leave card :D

This means I still have 2 days to carry forward - result !!

Latest Threads