Christmas food

Feel free to add your own variations, anything that simplifies what can be a real strain for many.

This is the best Christmas cake I've ever tasted, and it doubles up as Christmas pudding, just made one this afternoon and it's lovely.

Barbados rum cake.

3lbs of mixed fruit Lidl (do a lovely mix of apple, apricot etc) one bag of that, plus a bag and a half of sultanas, plus half a tub of candied peel.

This is best done the day before...... mince the fruit until well chopped, a little at a time, in a blender, adding a little of a mix of 120 ml of port or sherry and 180ml of dark rum to help with the mincing.

Clingfilm in a bowl and stick in the fridge overnight.

Cream half a pound of butter with half a pound of brown sugar, in a seperate bowl mix 6 large eggs, then add

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

A pinch of ground cloves

1/2 tsp of salt

1tsp of vanilla esscence

2 tbsp of gravy browning (caramel)

Add 7oz of plain flour and 1 heaped tsp of baking powder, stir, then combine the fruit, butter and egg mix.

There's a fair amount, I usually cook it in a large well buttered roasting tin.

Cook gently at 125c for about 30 minutes, then cover in parchment for a total of around 75 minutes.

Cool, then turn into a large piece of foil to completely enclose it

You can prick it every week or so and give it a drop of rum.

As I said, on the day you can warm it up and add some flaming rum, and anything left can be eaten as cake, it goes a long way, very rich, but not heavy, trust me, it's seriously good.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Vinnie, are you sure about the amount of fruit? Judging by the amount of cake mix, seems as though it's more fruit than cake (which is not a bad thing) as opposed to being a cake with fruit.

I have just brought the Delia Christmas book, I am going to be so organised this year it hurts. 51UWLEYApNL._SY100_.jpg It's been out a few years but worth the outlay.

It's the way they do it, I,ve been making them for years, mincing the fruit is the secret,, then plumping it out with lots of booze.

It's the best I've tasted, and it keeps for ages, I,ve just made one this afternoon, just to check and it's the dogs.

Kirkz

LE
I ******* hate fruit cake, it's ******* minging.
Give me a moist Victoria sponge with a jam and cream filling.

Veggies......

These can be made the day before and slammed in the fridge.

An equal amount of carrots and parsnips, peeled.

Cut them into 3" lengths, then cut into quarter inch batons, putting into cold water as you go.

Bring a steamer or a pan with a couple of inches of water to the boil, add the batons for 1 minute, then drain and run cold water over them.

Dry, then add a little oil and runny honey to them in a bowl, to coat.

Get some streaky bacon, cut into halves or thirds, dryer bacon is best.

Lay the bacon down, then add a mix of the batons to form a roll about 1 " diameter, roll the bacon around it, with an overlap, then fix a cocktail stick through it, removing when cooked.

Roast at the last minute, they take 20- 30 minutes, try them out before the big day to get them perfect, about 3-4 is plenty per person.

Veggies......

These can be made the day before and slammed in the fridge.

An equal amount of carrots and parsnips, peeled.

Cut them into 3" lengths, then cut into quarter inch batons, putting into cold water as you go.

Bring a steamer or a pan with a couple of inches of water to the boil, add the batons for 1 minute, then drain and run cold water over them.

Dry, then add a little oil and runny honey to them in a bowl, to coat.

Get some streaky bacon, cut into halves or thirds, dryer bacon is best.

Lay the bacon down, then add a mix of the batons to form a roll about 1 " diameter, roll the bacon around it, with an overlap, then fix a cocktail stick through it, removing when cooked.

Roast at the last minute, they take 20- 30 minutes, try them out before the big day to get them perfect, about 3-4 is plenty per person.

Doing that!

Also the gammon joint on a raised grill in a roasting tray. Pour a litre of coca cola in the tray and roast for required hour to weight ratio; turn every 15 mins on the raised grill. Stupendously awesome taste of caramelised crackling

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I do my sprouts with chestnuts and little bits of bacon.

They're mega.

To be honest bacon is pretty much the trick with everything. Turkey gets covered in bacon, sausages wrapped in bacon, stuffing with finely chopped bacon, spuds roasted in bacon fat.

Bacon.

I do my sprouts with chestnuts and little bits of bacon.

They're mega.

To be honest bacon is pretty much the trick with everything. Turkey gets covered in bacon, sausages wrapped in bacon, stuffing with finely chopped bacon, spuds roasted in bacon fat.

Bacon.

Nuggets of selected cheese wrapped in bacon? I do mature cheddar, stilton and a brie with bacon wrapped around to be grilled crisp

Again, you can prep the sprouts the day before.

Peel off the bad leaves, then nick the bottom with a cross, add to a pan of cold water overnight.

Add a knob of butter to the saucepan, melt, then swirl the sprouts, to coat, then add some lemon juice, put on a tight lid and braise on low, just give them the odd shake, they should take 15 to 20 minutes and should be tender, with just a little browning, you can do the bacon and chestnuts if you like, as well, but they taste good without.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
As there's only the two of us this year, I'm doing a Coquilles St Jacques as a starter, followed by deboned, stuffed duck, stuffed with sausagemeat, home made sage and onion with orange zest mixed into it, wrapped in bacon. Along with this goose fat roasties, lemon carrots, cauliflower cheese made using Roquefort and broccoli (yup, that's right, NO FEKKIN SPROUTS!!!) and all the trimmings. Afters will be a cheeseboard and biscuits, cheeses to include Stilton, Camembert, Cheddar, Chilli Roule and Goat's cheese.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
1 x father who's convinced he's the new Gordon Ramsay

1 x fundamentalist Christian auntie

1 x mother who'll be pissed by lunchtime

Various relatives of mixed disagreeable nature

1 sofa or armchair, slightly under-stuffed

48 bottles cider

Big TV, pre-tuned to godawful channels

Mix through with 60 years of casual racism (to taste - substitute bigotry if racism intolerant)

Lose will to live and start looking on National Rail website for first train home

Simmer for 12 months until you have to do the whole bloody thing again

Kirkz

LE
Joker you get a like just for the "NO FECKING SPROUTS"

Latest Threads