Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Christmas food shopping

With :censored: sprouts? Nothing can make :censored: sprouts taste "very nice".

Not so. Cook them in the oven with baby tomatoes and some chopped up bacon and some creme fraiche and they are lovely. Chopped up and stir fried they are OK. Boil the balls off of them and they may not be a treat.

Turkey's starting to defrost, lobster defrosting for preparing tomorrow.

Just had a last patrol around Lidl......a lot of stuff is starting to be 30% off, like sausages, and sides of salmon, so as I've taken the turkey from the freezer, hoovered up a few bargains to go in.

Will make all the odds and ends tomorrow, like stuffing and bread sauce, prepping the sprouts and spuds and leaving in cold water, might even make some veg broth, as we usually have a walk after breakfast, so it'd be good to come back to after a couple of hours in the cold.

ches

LE
We're doing the veggies tomorrow ready for a warming through on christmas day. Turkey crown in the fridge.

Shopping was pretty pain free, we did ours just as the ports were starting to close down so likely missed the mongs going mental when the first reports of shortages were flying around. FFS.

Ex has the kids this Christmas and the GF is abroad visiting family. I fitted a projector and r/c screen in the bedroom a few weeks ago. Not getting out of bed except to raid the fridge or use the bog. Perfect.
Enjoy.....but be careful not to pull a vacuum matey....merry Xmas and joy to you.....

I've never really understood the common hatred for Brussels sprouts... especially amongst beer drinkers. Sprouts taste a bit hoppy to me. They even look a little like hops. And like a good real ale, they make your farts stink to high heaven.

I've never really understood the common hatred for Brussels sprouts... especially amongst beer drinkers. Sprouts taste a bit hoppy to me. They even look a little like hops. And like a good real ale, they make your farts stink to high heaven.
I’d say sprouts are bitter, rather than hoppy. And sprouts are lovely. I’d have them for dinner every day, if I could.
Mrs R hates them, so I now buy them frozen, and steam a handful with the other veggies. Mrs R will have her customary sprout (singular) with her Christmas dinner. More for me!

Yokel

LE
On Christmas day I will be eating whatever the feck I like! She is heading down State tomorrow to see her parents for a couple of days and then on to see our son and his wife and our granddaughters.

It'll just be the hounds and I and on Christmas morning, After breakfast and a walk with the hounds I will be found down at the range converting a large amount of lead into brass.

Due to the kung flu no family came out to visit this year so I have all that lovely ammunition to shoot myself.

How exactly are you converting lead to brass? Are you an alchemist? I know what you mean, but it is wrong. What @Ortholith say?

Are you saying you want to shoot yourself?

Are you as imprecise with your firearm as you are with your words? Would Sir prefer a shotgun?

Last edited:
The turkey arrived yesterday. We still have potatoes left from this years veggie patch, Mrs. HT bought some sprouts and red cabbage the other day, and tomorrow the junior members of staff and I will make a chocolate yule log cake thing.
All the veg prep, and cooking thereof, will be done whilst the turkey is resting.
Finding the time to do agricultural stuff on Christmas morning, as well as cooking, shouldn't be a problem given the usual 0400 wake up.

Teeblerone

War Hero

Truly a Bleak Midwinter for this one.....

Christmas dinner: A beginner's guide to the perfect feast

Wildcard option: Bin the whole idea​

*Controversial statement warning*.
You don't have to eat a roast on Christmas Day.
Georgia Higgins has her Christmas dinner prepared already. That's because it's... ready to put in the microwave.
Pasta ready meal

Georgia won't need much prep time
"I've never been a fan of Christmas dinner. I just find it all too chewy, although that could just be my mum's cooking."
Usually on Christmas Day, the 21-year-old goes for a microwave spaghetti bolognese - "because they never fail to impress".
"I think I'm going to stick with the pasta again this year because I don't want to risk Christmas getting any worse."
There's a lot to be said for a stress-free option - that looks like quite a bit too far.

Mrs R will have her customary sprout (singular) with her Christmas dinner.
You see, this is what I don't understand. Why even bother with even one if you hate them? It's such a British idea of Christmas; eating things out of tradition rather than because you like them. No need for Christmas to be any more of a tyranny than it already is.

I like sprouts but I can understand why people do not. Much of the bitterness has been bred out of them now. I always put a touch of brown sugar in with the water and they should never be over boiled. The sugar tip works with carrots and beans as well. Lifts them a bit.

Bought the last bits today. The Krauts around here seem to adhere to the lockdown, so it wasn't as full as usual this year. I bought enough so I don't have to go shopping till we're in the new year. Traditional potato salad and Wieners tomorrow, 25th we have Kassler with all the English trimmings. 26th I will only roll out of me pit when the dog is close to shitting on the rug. Hope you all stay safe

Do the boxheads do carp on Weihnachten, as in some other places in that part of the world? I've only ever tried it once. Jesus, how anybody can consider it a celebratory treat and an essential part of the festive board.

I like sprouts but I can understand why people do not. Much of the bitterness has been bred out of them now. I always put a touch of brown sugar in with the water and they should never be over boiled. The sugar tip works with carrots and beans as well. Lifts them a bit.

Do the boxheads do carp on Weihnachten, as in some other places in that part of the world? I've only ever tried it once. Jesus, how anybody can consider it a celebratory treat and an essential part of the festive board.
So just a fortnight is enough, then?

49er

On ROPS
On ROPs
You see, this is what I don't understand. Why even bother with even one if you hate them? It's such a British idea of Christmas; eating things out of tradition rather than because you like them. No need for Christmas to be any more of a tyranny than it already is.

Blauecarp tastes like the scrapings off the bottom of your garden pond. Yum.

The turkey arrived yesterday. We still have potatoes left from this years veggie patch, Mrs. HT bought some sprouts and red cabbage the other day, and tomorrow the junior members of staff and I will make a chocolate yule log cake thing.
All the veg prep, and cooking thereof, will be done whilst the turkey is resting.
Finding the time to do agricultural stuff on Christmas morning, as well as cooking, shouldn't be a problem given the usual 0400 wake up.
And that reminds me...peace and goodwill to all our lads and lasses out looking after the animals over Christmas. Milking still goes on, and these people get our scran on the table. No time off for these guys.
Thanks for 2020, and here’s to a prosperous 2021.

Christmas dinner will be a bought lasagne and some microwave individual sponge puddings we bought to have pre-Christmas with the eldest and his missus as they were due to come up and stay until Boxing Day. All knocked on the head now of course, so we'll take it over to Dad's and have it with him as his bubble.

Going to be a poor Christmas without having any of the kids and grandkids with us.

Christmas? Bah humbug bollocks.

Fingers crossed for a normal one next year.

Edit: The only plus was that Christmas was cancelled just hours before we were going out to do the "proper" Christmas food shop. So we've "just" got the small mountain of food we bought for the 4 of us to wade through. Most of the bags of nuts have been given to the carers at Dad's place. NOT the booze though.

Last edited:
So just a fortnight is enough, then?

I actually thought that the British tradition of boiling veg to within an inch of its life was something that died out years ago when people like Elizabeth David started getting a grip of things.

Christ, when I remember the various sludges that were slopped on your plate at school dinners I still weep.

Well ask the local Chinese for tips..if not they will top dollar for it.

Cook like rabbit...................allegedly, as enjoyed by a Badgeman who thought he had been presented with a nice rabbit for the pot.

Latest Threads