Christmas during training.

bcfc1990

Clanker
Just a quick question and was wondering if anybody could help me, I start basic training at pirbright on the 24th of November this year and was wondering if there is a leave period over Christmas? I find it strange that they have an intake on this date because apparently we aren't allowed home for the first 6 weeks.

Therell be plenty more christmasses. youll either be on guard or paralytic under a bridge some where - its a professional pride thing

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Leave is possible during training... I can't remember the ins and outs of it but some people who weren't us - could have been the backsquadders in or the troop in front or behind. My memory fails me, but there had been some block leave for someone. I remember because it was apparent that they hadn't done the fitness homework they were given and an almighty beasting was dished out. Whether I was part of it or not, I really don't recall. Beastings a-plenty anyway, so one more doesn't really stick out in my memory.

If you get leave - DO THE HOMEWORK - or you will suffer.

Off topic, in Gutersloh once they put sqn PT on the last day and beasted the SHITE out of us for a laugh. Then Santa came in at the end. (The QMSI who was black)

'Ho Ho Ho', boomed Santa, proffering his sack.

What's this? A Christmas card? Yep... with fifty bstards in it. For everyone. Next man got 50 star jumps. And so on. For the full squadron.

Ho ho ho.

I spent my first Christmas in Germany pissed and sleeping in a park in Celle, Germany just to get away from the camp duties we were doing in Hohne as recently arrived sprogs - 12 hours on 48 hours off.

23rd December on basic training, on guard, in trouble, happy Christmas. Never looked back, always tried to work at Christmas and take leave afterwards. Op tours at Xmas I found to be quite good too!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

OP: You get xmas leave during phase 1/2 at an ATR. Just remember it's just as much for the DS' benefit as yours after several months of trying to instill their wisdom in to SuTs.

westendboy

On ROPS
On ROPs
My joining date was 8th December 1971. Went to Sutton Coldfield for three days then on to Arborfield for basic.

We were all marched to the barbers, issued all our kit and then sent home for two weeks leave as the REME depot didn`t work over Christmas :) They also gave us two weeks pay.

Strangely, everybody returned in early January.

Rick Wakeman

Old-Salt
Just a quick question and was wondering if anybody could help me, I start basic training at pirbright on the 24th of November this year and was wondering if there is a leave period over Christmas? I find it strange that they have an intake on this date because apparently we aren't allowed home for the first 6 weeks.
Fairly sure Christmas Block Leave starts on 19-Dec, training re-starts on 5-Jan. If that period includes the week 7 Long Weekend you've had it. The course loading usually deals with anyone having only a few days back before going home again....

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Fairly sure Christmas Block Leave starts on 19-Dec, training re-starts on 5-Jul. If that period includes the week 7 Long Weekend you've had it. The course loading usually deals with anyone having only a few days back before going home again....
That's a leave and a half!

bcfc1990

Clanker
We'll the leave sounds promising but at the same time I'm not going to take it as gospel until I hear it off an NCO or officer once I get there.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
There'll be a bus full of nurses sent to keep you company don't worry.

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
Do crows who stay at depot over Crimbo get gunfire off the RSM?
I'm sure Rick Wakeman will be able to confirm or deny that in a few months.

Latest Threads