Christmas Dinner

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Ventress, Dec 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Whats your plan for the festive meal?
  2. I was going to eat it, but if I've had a few too many sherries I might just throw it against the wall or make a model camel out of it.
  3. If we have turkey, I've told the wife I'm leaving. I'm sick of the tasteless shite that lasts for weeks. A proper full leg of lamb, or pork joint with cracking instead please. As a child, turkey was unheard of, chicken a rarity.
  4. I will be on my own this year, having just got rid of "My Dorris" so I feel a quality turkey for 1, along with BBC TV and lots of vodka!

But what will happen, is that all my mates, feeling that it must be rearly bad me being on my own, will all invite me to their places for dinner!
  5. Ah, I see what you mean now.

A bottle of fizz when I'm cooking.
    Smoked salmon as a starter.
    Goose (instead of dry, uninspiring turkey) and all the usual nonsense for the main course.
    Tactical pause for digestion and a snooze.
    Christmas pud sometime in the evening.
    More booze.
    Usually, throw in an argument for good measure.
  6. Buggering off to Amsterdam.

I hate family holidays.
  7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

At least you have a hobby.
  8. The males in my family have all stated that if we do not get a big rare roasted beef joint this christmas to go with the turkey that apparently has to be forced upon us due to 'tradition'*, we will all be going to the pub for a feast of bacon fries and a few pints of Tribute.

Other than that, it's just all the usual veg/trimmings; sausages wrapped in bacon, cauliflower cheese, roasties, roasted parsnip etc. etc.

*Even through Turkey is a yankee tradition.
  9. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Grilled black pudding with maple syrup and a dusting of cinnamon to start (sounds weird, but its yummy!)
    English cut, on the bone, shoulder of lamb with mixed roast roots and redcurrant jelly for main
    "Zuppa Inglese" (literally english soup) a delicious trifle made with panettonne, apricots, cointreau, cream and crushed meringue for dessert

10. Turkey for me with a massive joint of ham glazed to within an inch of its life. Lovely
  11. Brace of duck and pheasant for us.
  12. Christmas dinner... Delicious Chicken with Popcorn
    Here is a chicken recipe that also includes the use of popcorn as a Stuffing - imagine that! When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who just are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

1 whole chicken
    1 cup melted butter
    1 cup stuffing
    1 cup of uncooked popcorn
    Salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 220c.

Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end
    towards the back of the oven. Listen to the popping sounds.

When the chicken's arse blows the oven door open and the chicken flies across the room, it is done.
  13. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Edit - recipes available if required!
  14. Paella and San Miguel
  15. I'm going back home to have dinner at my Parents!

With my wife too, mustn't forget SWTSO!