Christmas Bird?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bootifull, Sep 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. People,
    I am ahead of myself this year and wish to get the Christmas Day roast ordered.
    This year we fancy the idea of a three bird roast. Went into the proper butchers in Salisbury this morning to place my order and the fella was so rude he will not be getting my custom!

Anyone know of a proper decent butcher within the SPTA vicinity?
  2. Hey Bootiful...a little bit further away try Robinsons in Stockbridge or (in the other direction) the butchers in Mere - can't remember the name, but they were great and my parents bought all their meat from them for years and years

edited to add, the butchers in Mere are called Nurden
  3. SPTA? Aren't there loads of newly released bustards on the Plain?

They are large and slow and you couldn't miss one if you take a good run-up; stuff it in the boot and hang for a week or three.

4. Try Robinson's at Tilly Down, Ragged Appleshaw. Be warned though a prepared 3 bird roast retails at about £100 wherever you go. You could also try the Farm Shop at Everleigh not far from the Curry Place.
  5. Smiths in Marlboriugh will probably sort yopu out. No idea on cost.
    we had a 3 bird roat last year that came from Southampton, no idea what the birsd were, but jolly tasty!
  6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Three-Bird very posh.

We shall slow-roast the turkey in the Weber as usual ...

Indirect heat method. Pat bird dry, season cavity, coat skin well with olive oil, wrap in foil [shiny side to bird, breast side up] with the seam uppermost. Ensure fully sealed, place on grill over drip tray and cook for about 2 hours.

Then gently peel away top part of foil to expose the bird, gather what juices you can from the bottom of the foil [siphon with a bulb-baster-thing], top up charcoal if necessary, return bird on its sheet of foil to Weber and half-close top vent. Cook for another hour or so [aiming for 180F thigh temperate, or when legs wiggle freely].

Siphon up any more juices, move to serving platter [peeling the foil gently away as you go, cover with clean foil and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

8. Yeoman....I think your keyboard's fcuked ;)
  9. This side of the pond, they've been offering a three bird of a stuffed deboned chicken inside a deboned duck, inside a deboned turkey. And they call it a Turducken.

Most attractive name.

I'd just as soon have a black pudding supper with an Irn Bru on the side.
  10. Keyboard fine, Finger/ brain trouble.

I had a 5 bird roast in South Africa 3 years ago that was made up of the following

Francholin ( local Pheasant type game bird)

Very tasty, but required a family of African proportions. It would have seen the average family of 4 through to the new year let alone Boxing Day.
  11. Have a look at The Farm shop in Beckington, ask at the Wool Pack I am sure they will point you in the right direction, wee bit pricey but cracking quality
  12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

13. Don't do turkey - its tasteless and a recent US import.

Go traditional and get a goose.