Christening present

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Krek_Brizzle, Mar 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings. My brother has foolishly asked me to be godfather to his second son. Aside from being a very bad influence, I would like to try and do the right thing every now and then. The lad is to be christened this month, and don't think much of the traditional gifts (silver tankards are basically useless, and few eighteen-year-olds really want a case of port). I would therefore like to set up a good savings account for him, into which I could make quarterly payments so that he has a bit of a windfall when he reaches majority to spend on a crap car, six months' bad behaviour in south-east Asia, or even university if he really must.

Does anyone have a particular recommendation for a post office / building society / ISA account? I'm all at sea when it comes to this sort of thing, and while I appreciate that interest rates are currently very low, this situation will presumably not last forever. I have a cash ISA with my high street bank for the sake of convenience, but it pays bugger all. Very grateful for any advice.

2. Talk to his parents and set up a Junior ISA (as above) with them. 18 years of regular investment in the global stock markets should produce a nice little fund!

Litotes