Chris Evans an Irritating T*at?

Listening habits are changing too, don’t forget. Younger folk (& some fogies) don’t tie themselves to a programme at a certain time like we used to. If you missed it then, tough! Nowadays you can listen for weeks or even months later to something of your choice. I listen every week to Hancock & The Goons from 60+ years ago. But I don’t listen live, I download it. Same for new shows like Sounds of the Seventies & Eighties (which is great now ooooh Gary Davies does it).
I sometimes tune in the interweb to Radio 2 for a listen to Steve Wright.............shocked when I heard 'oooooohhh Gary Davies' on there a week or so ago doing a stand in for Steve.

I sometimes tune in the interweb to Radio 2 for a listen to Steve Wright.............shocked when I heard 'oooooohhh Gary Davies' on there a week or so ago doing a stand in for Steve.
Shocked?

Or disappointed at encountering a bloke devoid of both talent and personality?

Listening habits are changing too, don’t forget. Younger folk (& some fogies) don’t tie themselves to a programme at a certain time like we used to. If you missed it then, tough! Nowadays you can listen for weeks or even months later to something of your choice. I listen every week to Hancock & The Goons from 60+ years ago. But I don’t listen live, I download it. Same for new shows like Sounds of the Seventies & Eighties (which is great now ooooh Gary Davies does it).
True but in my experience this^ isn't always the case with the Archers, the Pop Master segment, and a few other shows. However, commercial radio is gaining ground according to the polls, like RAJAR, which also suggests/confirms that BBC local radio is rubbish. No arguments with that.

Commercial and national radio stations will pick up the music and listeners the BBC stupidly ignores; the R2 controller has already said he wants a younger audience. So he's got dinosaurs playing new releases, something's not quite right with his screws there. And who is going to 'champion' new artists? Some spotty nonentity?

Whether or not live radio is still relevant, BBC R2 executives would be stupid to keep ignoring and alienating grownups and pandering to activists. You can't just airbrush out half a century of important and iconic music. A lot of people - like Johnnie Walker - want to talk about it. And besides, where are all these bands, fans and proper DJs supposed to go?

See, BBC Radio executives have a habit of being fucking stupid, and for caving in to pressure. It makes no difference whether it was twenty years ago or last week.

Wrighty's been at it for a very long time, and to be fair his R1 shows back in the 80s were a bit special. Thirty five years later he's not gone away, and today he's advertising his Friday 'jockin' like it's a big event.

Today's bellend deviant guest will be dribbling rubbish again and maybe there's another shit book. Five o'clock and Mayo and Whiley can't come soon enough.Some of these people parted from reality a long time ago.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Wrighty's been at it for a very long time, and to be fair his R1 shows back in the 80s were a bit special. Thirty five years later he's not gone away, and today he's advertising his Friday 'jockin' like it's a big event.

Today's bellend deviant guest will be dribbling rubbish again and maybe there's another shit book. Five o'clock and Mayo and Whiley can't come soon enough.Some of these people parted from reality a long time ago.
Wright was always crap. It was always about him. Interviewees flogging books etc. were really there to talk about him. Great Show? I don't think so. More like 'Overlong Show, overstayed its welcome.'

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Wright was always crap. It was always about him. Interviewees flogging books etc. were really there to talk about him. Great Show? I don't think so. More like 'Overlong Show, overstayed its welcome.'
Which is really why I listen to Classic radio or my own records between 2pm and 5 pm.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Oh I think you are being too hard. He is a consummate professional, never pushes his own agenda, always courteous to his guests and listens carefully to what they say. No hint of his private life aver creeps in to the show, and he surrounds himself with equally expert broadcasters. As for his Friday afternoon 'Serious Jocking' segment, it is clear that he is used to hosting and producing in what must be the most important and cutting edge youth-orientated clubs in the leisure business. The man is little short of being a genius.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh I think you are being too hard. He is a consummate professional, never pushes his own agenda, always courteous to his guests and listens carefully to what they say. No hint of his private life aver creeps in to the show, and he surrounds himself with equally expert broadcasters. As for his Friday afternoon 'Serious Jocking' segment, it is clear that he is used to hosting and producing in what must be the most important and cutting edge youth-orientated clubs in the leisure business. The man is little short of being a genius.
You starting a new career as a comedian?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A bit of both really. I like listening to Steve Wright, not so much the others.
Feck me. They're coming out of the woodwork today. Steve Wright is almost as irritating as Chris Evans.

Popular as the station is, it's still losing listeners and the Breakfast show has tanked, like Chris Evans. All three were "at a six year low" in October. Chris Evans show drops to six-year low ; and Mr Evans 'decides' to jack it in.

Change is to be expected but it's really all sinking into mediocrity not least because of executives, and 'talent' (?). There are so many better alternatives to BBC radio now.
Every other radio station playing R2’s music would die for ratings even a quarter of what R2’s are. Most terrestrial stations are losing listeners.

The most annoying thing about Wright, is if you listen to a few shows, is I suspect, he has got musical taste.

He often plays great songs from artist's back catalogues which are never on the repetitive few songs that most of the others play.

He has chosen to be "everyman " and play crap for the glue- sniffers and Spice smokers as well, so he just upsets everyone.

Plus his delusion that he's funny, and the " Serious jockin, Old Woman, Ask Elvis " etc are absolute shite........