Chris Evans an Irritating T*at?

Consolation prize for her not getting the breakfast show, perhaps?
No consolation to me.

I can at least avoid that wittering thing Feltz in the early morning by listening to Mal Pope on Beeb Wales for the first waking(?) hour of my day, but I really don't think I can cope with Z Balls for the next 3 hours.

Ms Cox would be a much better breakfast bet, based on her recent sitsinfor performance (was it this morning? It's such a long time ago ..,)

Last edited:
Sad to see Simon Mayo go, I'd (perhaps naively) hoped the powers that be would pay heed to the listeners and move Jo Whiley sideways, still giving her a post with some presence that would fulfil the gender gap, and Simon would go on as before. Well they have done that, pity Simon had to resign before they did.
Having said that, I think Sara Cox will do well in his place. Consolation prize for her not getting the breakfast show, perhaps?
The current Director of Radio ‘doesn’t care’ about the listening figures (or the share); the cavalier BBC - threatened by Netflix - is more interested in younger listeners and in snatching back audiences from streaming services.

BBC faces existential threat from streaming services, says Purnell.

The Times in June: "I don’t care about share of listeners, says BBC radio chief [James Purnell, Director of Radio and Education]". No surprise over here that things went tits up in that culture of sacrificial accountability.

The current Director of Radio ‘doesn’t care’ about the listening figures (or the share); the cavalier BBC - threatened by Netflix - is more interested in younger listeners and in snatching back audiences from streaming services.

BBC faces existential threat from streaming services, says Purnell.

The Times in June: "I don’t care about share of listeners, says BBC radio chief [James Purnell, Director of Radio and Education]". No surprise over here that things went tits up in that culture of sacrificial accountability.
I remember working for him when he was Secretary of State for Work and Pensions and p1ssing millions of taxpayers' money against the wall trying to merge three Government Departments with no knowledge of how they functioned.

My employer, a now defunct US company, made a fortune.

R2
Morning - not Evans FFS - Classic FM and Tim Lihoreau
Might go back to R2 when Evans is gone

Ken Bruce & popmaster - yes

Jeremy Vine - No
R4 for the afternoon drama

Steve Wright - Should have been hoofed years ago
Back to classic or else Absolute 80s if I have the DAB

Drive Time - Simon Mayo (san Wiley)
No stuffed.

Elaine Paige - Bl**dy awful dross
Jamie Cullum - Tedious

R2

Jeremy Vine - No

No stuffed.

Jamie Cullum - Tedious
Don't forget Blackburn, still ruining eardrums after over 50 years and O'Dreary , who must have blackmail material to keep the Saturday morning gig.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yes, fine fine fine fine and all that

It's the fact that you had the thing in the car in the first place, where the rest of have an in-car cd library comprising freebie newspaper gizzits of 'driving music' sourced from charity shops, often featuring J Clarkson in the branding . .
Ah, 'twas a birthday present from someone who doesn't really know my music tastes. All the other stuff ( driving music, Twisted Sister, opera etc) is on aforementioned usb stick. Just loaded the entire series of Navy Lark, Men from the Ministry ,Clare in the Community and sundry other stiff, including Round the Horne onto more sticks today.

When I can get it, I listen to Sam FM (previously Jack FM) not a massive music selection but they do generally have a bit of fun and I do like it when it all goes wrong, then the emergency broadcast kicks in (with suitable amusing announcements between songs)
it also helps that I know one of the DJs. Its fun to text and email him and see if we can distract him
What was the name of squeaky voice and him that used to be a member on here that we used to torment?

R2

Jeremy Vine - No

No stuffed.

Jamie Cullum - Tedious
Here's my listening list,
Morning, Planet Rock,usually Paul Anthony (inc guess the year)
Followed by Planet Rock, Wyatt.
Early PM, Planet Rock, Darren Redick.
Sunday mornings, The Hairy Bikers, Planet Rock obviously.

When/if I fancy a change I'll put on classic FM but it's not that often.
If there's cricket on I'll put the TV on with sound off and commentary on the radio although I have to say that in the last few years the commentary TMS has gone down hill. It's getting tedious with changing commentators every five minutes some of who just waffle and it's not enjoyable, Phil Tuffnell being an example. He seems to think that his job is to entertain and everything has to be "funny" rather give analysis and match info.
It could be me getting old though!

Here's my listening list,
Morning, Planet Rock,usually Paul Anthony (inc guess the year)
Followed by Planet Rock, Wyatt.
Early PM, Planet Rock, Darren Redick.
Sunday mornings, The Hairy Bikers, Planet Rock obviously.

When/if I fancy a change I'll put on classic FM but it's not that often.
If there's cricket on I'll put the TV on with sound off and commentary on the radio although I have to say that in the last few years the commentary TMS has gone down hill. It's getting tedious with changing commentators every five minutes some of who just waffle and it's not enjoyable, Phil Tuffnell being an example. He seems to think that his job is to entertain and everything has to be "funny" rather give analysis and match info.
It could be me getting old though!
With you on Planet Rock but sadly can't receive the signal where I live.
Keep106 FM is an interesting substitute. Community Radio with some excellent rock music in its library and an air of amateurish not-quite-chaos.

Evans' temporary replacement assaulted my ears this morning with "The Chemical Brothers" at 0805.

There should be a law against that sort of thing.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I prefer classic FM, however the adverts seem to go on for longer, and I am getting fed up with charities wanting my money to run their immense offices
at work we often use a SW radio and pick up some interesting programmes that way

Last edited: