Chosen Man week

My son started the chosen man 2 course at Oxford 17th of Feb. He has been aiming for the army now since last January and was up to the stage of his interview with the boss before going for selection. Then he changed his options to the rifles after spending a week with his college course at Chepstow.
He was due to attend the course in Dec but it was cancelled because of the weather so was over the moon when he got on this one.
Unfortunately some of the training Corporals were complete twats and he decided that he wasn’t going to stay just to be humiliated by them. As far as I’m concerned they let the regiment down and all those promoting the regiment in the right way. What makes it worse from my point of view is that these cretins are representative of my old regiment (2LI) which I joined in 74 after 2 years with the IJLB.
I’m assured by the course officer that it’s not course policy to take bets on how many they can get to leave or to address those attending as retards etc seems some training full ranks can’t read sop’s these days.
It’s unfortunate as the senior NCO’s, Officers and the other Training Corporals have all their hard work undermined by a few individuals. He came 4th in the overall fitness with a run of 9.30.
I am so F%%king angry and would give anything to spend a couple of hours on the square rifting these individuals.

L

Lechies

He came 4th in the overall fitness with a run of 9.30.
I am so F%%king angry and would give anything to spend a couple of hours on the square rifting these individuals.
1974 - 2011, It's a different Army Dave, they aren't training for BAOR or NI, they're training to fight against people who make the Shankhill Butchers look like Mother Teresa. I assure you, I joined mid 80's and the Training Staff took bets in my Platoon who would get binned, there was a board on my Training Corporals Wall with pics of Crow and nice red marker pen crosses to those who weren't cut out for military service. You surely understand that there are tossers everywhere in the Military, saying that, I've been a Civvy just over a decade and I can unequivocally state, there are more knobheads working for my local authority with worse bullying atttudes than anything I witnessed in the Army.

Personally being originally badged as RGBW, I was skeptical of the algamations, but after time, I grew to love the ideas of being a "chosen man" and the lazy drill

Lechies, I agree 100% only he wasn't a sut he and others were there to see if the rifles were the right regiment for them and the training corporals job was to give and display leadership, give encouragement, make sure they were in the right place at the right time and contribute to an overall assessment based on their observations over the week.

Completly different from a training situation when you know your under pressure and the reasons for it.

I have nothing but admiration for the boys and girls fighting in todays army (and a little envy) but lets not forget we lost around 1000 men to the pussys in NI

I went on a 5 day course at a rifles camp under the bridge from England to Wales ........

Ahh the hell hole Caewent!!!!!

Easy crawls off shuddering

Unfortunately some of the training Corporals were complete twats
no offence but whatever the reason if he did not last there 2 days how do you think he will last the training? How do you know there wont be a similar situation in basic training? He has to be aware that life is not fair and if this is the path he has chosen, then maybe is not going to be easy! However I might be wrong but what does he expect from the Army? He got a taste from the Army even though maybe not what he expected but at list he knows what to expect! ?So what does he think now, does he give up? They are not all twats, but yes maybe he will encounter this situation again ,later on in life ,so what he will do then?

T

Taffd

My son went on two of these and had a great time, even though on the second, he made clear his intention to join the Marines.

no offence but whatever the reason if he did not last there 2 days how do you think he will last the training? How do you know there wont be a similar situation in basic training? He has to be aware that life is not fair and if this is the path he has chosen, then maybe is not going to be easy! However I might be wrong but what does he expect from the Army? He got a taste from the Army even though maybe not what he expected but at list he knows what to expect! ?So what does he think now, does he give up? They are not all twats, but yes maybe he will encounter this situation again ,later on in life ,so what he will do then?
renovatiouk

i think you have hit the nail on the head

I went on a Chosen Man course a while ago, it's an amazing week. It's based on specifically Rifles recruitment, the whole week it kind of like a longer and more specified version of selection.

On the first day there were a lot of lectures from Captain... I think it was Captain Gibson, but I could be wrong. That was out on the Rifles Base at Salisbury Plain anyway so your son'll probably have a completely different set of staff. There was kit issue and stuff as well, then in the afternoon they had us out on what they said was going to be a 4 mile run, but i asked afterwards because it seemed a lot longer, and they said it was actually more like 5.5 miles. Not sure why, but be careful of that, it caught me out because up until then then was the longest run I'd done by a good couple of miles. We ran that as a group, it took us around 40 minutes so it was quite a light paced run tbh

The whole week has a lot of fitness training involved. I think it was the second day that we did all the tests that we would have to do at selection. Then the third day we did a circuit training session. It was around... I'd guess at a half hour long, it wasn't particularly brutal compared to some that I've been to, but they do expect you to put your all into it.

There's a massive load of command tasks to do, they involve working as team and showing your leadership skills. They're pretty tough sometimes. We had paint ball guns and had to call out enemy positions and stuff (metal targets stuck in the ground). Overall if you can manage not to get absolutely knackered by the Phys you'll have done in the morning then they're really fun. Just put your all into it.

There'll be visits to different places as well, we went to Litchfield Selection Centre and had a tour around, and we went to Infantry Training Centre (ITC) Catterick, which is an amazing place. We practiced our icebreakers and stuff as well, which was helpful.

Just remember, they NEVER stop assessing you, as the end they will decide whether they think you're ready to join the rifles. If you don't pass you'll have to do it all again, only better.

1974 - 2011, It's a different Army Dave, they aren't training for BAOR or NI, they're training to fight against people who make the Shankhill Butchers look like Mother Teresa. I assure you,
FFS.Yes mate. Northern Ireland was a piece of cake and the IRA were just nonces who couldn't really hurt a fly. I served 3 tours in the 70's and that's not what I remember. A lot of dead soldiers would also disagree with your prattish view as well if only they could. It's not a different Army, It's just a different time with different problems and goals to achieve.

FFS.Yes mate. Northern Ireland was a piece of cake and the IRA were just nonces who couldn't really hurt a fly. I served 3 tours in the 70's and that's not what I remember. A lot of dead soldiers would also disagree with your prattish view as well if only they could. It's not a different Army, It's just a different time with different problems and goals to achieve.
What he said !

i disagree i went on the chosen man more than once they are very hard on every one i start training in 2 weeks and i dont expect them to be nice to me they was always fare on chosen man a few times i didnt like things they did but im sure in training there will be things that i wont want to do maybe it just wasnt the correct reg for him to join because they are very strict

i disagree i went on the chosen man more than once they are very hard on every one i start training in 2 weeks and i dont expect them to be nice to me they was always fare on chosen man a few times i didnt like things they did but im sure in training there will be things that i wont want to do maybe it just wasnt the correct reg for him to join because they are very strict
So in your opinion, different infantry Regiments are less strict??? I would guess the whole Army put great emphasis on discipline, or is it just the RIFLES and everyone else is soft as shite???

no thats not what i said im just saying there strict because it gets rid of the wimps even if ur first n every run u got to have the right way of thinking to do the job !!

My son started the chosen man 2 course at Oxford 17th of Feb. He has been aiming for the army now since last January and was up to the stage of his interview with the boss before going for selection. Then he changed his options to the rifles after spending a week with his college course at Chepstow.
He was due to attend the course in Dec but it was cancelled because of the weather so was over the moon when he got on this one.
Unfortunately some of the training Corporals were complete twats and he decided that he wasn’t going to stay just to be humiliated by them. As far as I’m concerned they let the regiment down and all those promoting the regiment in the right way. What makes it worse from my point of view is that these cretins are representative of my old regiment (2LI) which I joined in 74 after 2 years with the IJLB.
I’m assured by the course officer that it’s not course policy to take bets on how many they can get to leave or to address those attending as retards etc seems some training full ranks can’t read sop’s these days.
It’s unfortunate as the senior NCO’s, Officers and the other Training Corporals have all their hard work undermined by a few individuals. He came 4th in the overall fitness with a run of 9.30.
maybe he just isnt cut out for the army because its strict and he cant just leave that when hes in cattrick he will get it alot worse than chosen man