Choosing the right regiment

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by btf_29, May 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm starting Sandhurst in September and am slowly but surely narrowing down which regiments I'm interested in applying for a commission from. I started out applying to become a Royal Marines officer, but when I was due to go for my AIB, I was informed that an administrative error had meant that the fact I was two months too old had been overlooked and my application had to be terminated.

I was then advised to apply for Sandhurst, which I duly did.

In the year since, I have developed an interest in the following regiments: Paras, Royal Gurkha Rifles, The Rifles, Royal Engineers, 29 Commando Reg RHA and 7 Para Regt RHA. I've booked onto/taken fam visits and POCs where applicable for all of the above.

I was just wondering if there are any other areas of the army that I have thusfar maybe overlooked? I want to earn a beret, so the obvious choice would involve an arm that involves taking the AACC or P Coy, but at the same time, I don't want to be blinkered at this stage of my prospective career.

Any advice would be gladly received.

Many thanks.

2. Have you considered any RAC regiments?

Or the Royal IRISH?

3. I've heard nothing but good things about the Royal Irish, may well organise a fam visit or POC just now. I know very little about the RAC, as I've steered towards the infantry side of things, Are you part of the Corps?

4. It's 29 Cdo Regt RA, not RHA...minor point, but one that will save you a shoeing later...

Why the fascination on beret (or badge) collecting? You can apply to do AACC from RE, RA, RLC, REME, RSignals, erm pretty much any cap badge, as Commandos need supporting. Same goes for P Coy.

What is it you want to DO as an officer, as all of these choices are widely differing - being a Para Signals Officer is not the same as being a Para Reg officer, or a Para Gunner Officer...you may wish to think about your broader career - you will not stay Para or Cdo in the Supporting arms, but will stay Para if you apply and are accepted to Para Reg.

5. Hi Django, cheers for the reply,

Re. the fascination with earning a beret, I want to do something with my (fast escaping) youth and accomplish something that very few have achieved. I've always been ultra competitive and a fitness freak, and I want to leave the army in future knowing I have as few unanswered questions like "could I have done P Coy?" as possible etc. I would also like to serve within 16 Air Assault, with like-minded soldiers and officers.

That being said, the reason I posted the original message was to see if others on the site knew of areas of the army I may have either overlooked or simply not known about.

re. what I want to do as an officer, aside from the usual Careers Office talk of "leading men, organising their lives and careers etc" I know little about what the difference in roles between, say, a Paras reg officer and a Para Gunner Officer (short of what their pages on the army website state). I'll soon be visiting the RHA on a POC to help answer that question before September, but if you had any information on that topic I'd be much obliged if you could give me a heads up.

I'm soon to visit the REs at Chatham this month, do the Paras POC in July (completed the insight in Jan), and am trying to organise a visit with the Royal Irish.

Interestingly, after a very diplomatic email from their secretary I was refused a POC spot with the RGRs due to my age (26). It was a bit of a kick in the balls as I was really interested in trying to earn a commission with them, but hey, I'm sure he knows best.

Thanks

6. Something worth pointing out is that if you are too old for the marines, then you are presumably 26. By the time you've done RMAS you'll be 27. Teeth arms reportedly prefer them younger, but it varies by regiment.

7. BTF - No problem. The RGR thing doesn't surprise me - there seem to be a few ARRSE posters lately that have tales of infantry reluctance to take older applicants. Perhaps they are hedging their bets a little. I completely understand the desire to "be the best you can be" and not leave unanswered questions.

As for who does what, if you join one of the support Regiments/Corps/Cap Badges (RE, RA, RSignals, RLC etc) that can do Para or Cdo attachments, you will be in a larger organisation and probably do a tour with the Cdo or Para side then go to do the "regular" job they do. Now, this may not be a bad thing, as being large cap badges, they all offer variety and it's not inconceivable that you could join any one, do the Para tour first (having commissioned, been accepted and then doing P-Coy) and then do a Cdo tour second, perhaps returning to Para third.

I am RA and I know people who have done 7 Para RHA or 29 Cdo RA as their first tour, then complete their 2nd tour (as FST comd - THE BEST JOB IN THE ARMY) in the other Regt (having done one arduous course, the other is then easier to persuade people to put you on). You would then do a tour somewhere else (which could be back at the first one) before looking to be in the beginnings of the promotion bracket. There would then be Staff College and a Staff job (could be combat and linked to Para/Air Assault Bde/Cdo Bde), before looking at Battery command. I would imagine that the other Combat Support Arms (RE, RSignals) are the same and the Combat Service Support (RLC) likewise.

This is a bit of a rapid brush over what is essentially nearly an IRC's worth of Army career (IRC is 16 year Intermediate Regular Commission).

I would say that joining one of the CS or CSS arms COULD give you more variety than the straight Combat Arms (inf/Cav), but then I am RA, so would! COmbat arms have their advantages, but in my experience also have more of the element of "dead man's shoes" when it comes to advancement and more competition for the "gucci" jobs. Not a show stopper by any means, but if you want to be Para or Cdo, you don't have to be Para Reg or a Marine - the other corps/arms can give you a bit more.

8. Yep, I'm only too aware of this!

I figure that providing I perform well at RMAS, I'll give myself every chance, despite being a bit of a grandad! This was the advice given to me by a serving Paras Sgt at the Insight course. I know I'm physically fit enough, have two degrees under my belt, and can't wait for RMAS to start. I'm just praying I avoid injury etc.

9. Django,

Cheers, that was a brilliant post, will definitely look into the FST officer role when I visit the RA in July.

Thanks again

10. Howdo btf,

Would that I was in the RAC - I won't drag the thread off course, but my own career was stillborn before even starting at the RMAS on account of an injury and hitting the age limit. Even so, I found certain regiments of the RAC were very receptive to my pleas for sponsorship towards obtaining an age waiver so I could rejoin the Commissioning Course. All in vain I'm afraid (thank you blinkered folk of the ATRA...).

The RAC is a broad church, and some of the regiments can differ radically from one another in tone and outlook, I would say even moreso than infantry regiments.

Based on my own brief and somewhat limited experience of the RA, I would second django's advice.

11. Sorry that it is not in line with the rest of the thread but, gallowglass could you possibly expand on what you said earlier about RAC regiments; how are they different in tone and outlook etc. I am considering the RAC when/if I ever get to RMAS and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

FR

12. As already said, any regt that supports 3CDO Bde or 16 Air Assault Bde would be your best bet - Loggies, RE, RA etc.
    At RMAS - the engineers run PCoy/Divers/AACC fitness tests towards the end of the senior term to allocate those who will go do PCoy/AACC/Dive Cse before Troopies. Not sure how the RLC/RA do it - probably those fit enough for the Regts who are part of the afore mentioned Bde will be posted to those Regts/Btys then onwards to P Coy etc.

Can't help you much on Inf side of life however a top tip is to go where you fit in. Get on plenty of visits; you'll soon know where you want to go.

13. Sorry to 'jump on the badwagon' here as such, but i feel as though other members may know the answer.

While on the CC at RMAS i understand you have to choose your Corp / Regiment?

Are you expected to apply for (example) Royal Corps of Signals, or elaborate more by saying 'Royal Corps of Signals > Queens Gurkha Signals.

Basically, are you meant to have in mind exactly where you want to go, why you want to go and all that Jazz?

Im sponsored by the Signals (as im sure youv'e guessed) and they havn't offered much insight into the matter.

Regards,

Powell

(Sorry for jumping in on the thread and sorry if i havn't explained this properly)

14. go RIFLES for a fulfilling and diverse career. they have 5 battalions including Light Role, Mechanised and Armoured and the only battalion in the British Army which in effect when everyone is trained up will be a Commando Battalion. they have the right ethos and are different to the rest of the Army as well as recruiting from all over the UK and abroad.

15. You will put down e.g Royal Engineers, Royal Signals, Rifles, RLC etc. and you'll start to talk about where you would like to be posted during RSBs and if successful, after RSBs but this is Corps dependent and more pertinent to RE/RLC for EOD etc. Usually once you're on troopies you say where you want to go, unless you're exceptional you may get it guaranteed during RSBs.