choosing signals units

PoisonDwarf said:
E-Layer said:
Call me an old traditionalist but I would have thought that the armour was necessitated by a proximity to the bad guys? as opposed to a requirement to match the non-promotable fcuking cheeseballs serving there with equally cheesey vehicles.
You sound very wound up, E-Layer. What is the bit about "non-promotable fcuking cheeseballs serving there with equally cheesey vehicles" all about. ?.
Ok if we're going to split hairs the cheesey non promotables was probably a bad reference to the following bone statement by cardinal:

CardinalSin] Have you noticed that people who get sent to Armd Bdes on promotion are usually off reserve lists and given that as their ONLY option.[/quote] I think you knew exactly where I was coming from but let's just call them "those that didn't quite make the grade on the first shout" :roll: The reference to the vehicles is because Cardinal makes no distinction between armoured brigades and other units - other than the fact that they are indeed "armoured". I therefore made the assumption that it was the "armoured" bit (ie the vehicles) that made the difference....if Cardinal would like to explain himself better...........? [quote="You said:
Surely armour is more about mobility on an armoued battlefield, not necessarily proximity to the bad guys alone?.
PD I never said that proximity to the bad guys was the only reason and could you help my case then by defining an armoured battlefield from other battlefields.......unless of course an armoured battlefield isn't one that is in close proximity to the battle and therefore to the enemy?

you said:
The high bandwidth collaborative apps, big screens, all that stuff you see on "24" and "CSI" (joke) that the eggheads at op-level demand will always be further back from the Armd Bdes. That's my interpretation of 'gucci'?
And it may well be your interpretation of gucci and as such, probably fits your statement . However if you go back and read Cardinal's post you'll find we are just given

gucci new technologies
which
comes to the Armd Bdes way way after every one has them.
or earlier in the thread he was quite explicit:

CardinalSin (of the Armoured Brigade) said:
now it's the poor cousin that gets all the good stuff last
which suggests that we are not talking about those equipments to which you refer as they will clearly never (and nor were they ever destined to) see the light of an armoured day.

We are talking about equipments that, for some reason that Cardinal does not define, apparently arrive at these front-line units "way way" after everyone else in the corps has had a play........supposedly

You then said:
E-Layer said:
You'll find mate that an armd bde sig sqn holds the same kit as any other "gucci" unit doing the same role?
Surely they're NOT doing the same role though. Are we comparing chalk with cheese?
Depends who you are talking about mate. Once again I based my retorts on Cardinals seemingly over-simplified classification of units into:

Armoured

The rest of the Corps.

So by that token, a Lt or Mech Brigade Signal Squadron which has the same core function as an Armoured Brigade - that of providing a Bde HQ - (but without the cheesey panzers) - is doing the same role.

In short, Cardinal paints a pathetic picture of units with inadequate, outdated and handed-down equipments. Units which are manned predominantly by those who only promote off reserve lists or have no real desire to succeed while the remainder are there because of their "kraut" wives.

If that is not what he meant then perhaps he should think before transmitting in utter ignorance.

over.....

E-Layer said:
In short, Cardinal paints a pathetic picture of units with inadequate, outdated and handed-down equipments. Units which are manned predominantly by those who only promote off reserve lists or have no real desire to succeed while the remainder are there because of their "kraut" wives.
Hypersensitive or what! Go and get yourself a sense of humour - I was taking the piss. No I've never been to an Armd Bde. I've always come off the main board and I don't have a kraut wife. :yawnstretch:

CardinalSin said:
Hypersensitive or what! Go and get yourself a sense of humour - I was taking the piss. No I've never been to an Armd Bde. etc etc....
Ah....you were taking the piss. :roll:

Well in that case I'm a cunt who should have known better.

E-Layer said:
I apologise for being a gobshitey person. It's a very bad habit I have picked up through being in the army.

CardinalSin said:
E-Layer said:
I apologise for being a gobshitey person. It's a very bad habit I have picked up through being in the army.
Or is that just in general :headbang:

legal_eagle

War Hero
Each posting is what you make of it in my opinion. Sure some have more potential for enjoyment than others but once you're there you might as well just get on with it and you could end up having fun; all the other lads are in the same boat as you after all - I remember the camaraderie being stronger at the "lesser" postings. I had a great time at 1 DIV in the late 90s but if you ask most people who were there they will tell you it was shite!

if every posting is the same how come i have never met anyone with a good thing to say about a lsr!!!

nik_kershaw

Old-Salt
I have been to a number of units and have noticed a couple of things, The unit is only as good as the lads you are working with. A previous unit I was at was one of if not the best unit I have ever been to but due to a change of most of the units grown ups it soon changed to one of the worst. I am now at one of the best units in the Royal Signals and hopefully it won't change the way my last unit went. If anyone wants to NTT just cause they don't get on with their boss etc before going to get the NTT paperwork, ask to get posted to a more attractive unit, it worked wonders for me back in 2000.

Doubt it has changed that much, but I've been out 9 years. Get your arse down to 21, piss about with helicopters and if you're "really lucky", get loads of skiing in whilst living in a tent somewhere in Norway. Oh, promotion, just like the rest of the Corps, sit back and watch the rest of them get it while you collect A1 grade after A1 or shove your entire head and shoulders up the OC's jacksy and get promoted whilst being completely incapable of doing your job.

Bitter? you bet. Miss it, not a fuckin chance

Id agree with cardinal to a certain point armour is just a waist of time and effort. To be honest what does advantage does it give us over a much more mobile soft skinned complex.

And before anyone feels the urge to ask my how I'm qualified to slate such and outstanding piece of equipment. I worked on it for 3 and a half years in one of the biggest and most ridiculiously undermanned complexes the signals has to offer.

But once again you will not see a team like you did there. Great bunch of hardworking lads, who played pretty dam hard as well and to be honest was some of the best times ive ever had in the army.

But as for which unit to choose thats a pretty difficult choice to be making unless you know somone who is tere or was there extremely recently. Also if your a bit like myself and you want to be involved heavily in trade then you need to try and give the armour a miss. I spent most of my time there trying to keep the dam thing on the road. But the screws that were there at the time never hesitated on passing on what they had learnt (some in a more proactive manner than others).

Have you looked at jobs outside of the usual R Sigs line. 11 EOD to name but one. There are intresting jobs out there you just need to go and find them. Then find somone good in your CoC and keep asking them nicely.

Germany is the way forward.....

alot of people are saying that, iv been there myself and loved it. especially the social aspect.

am i missing out on not going on a uk posting?

Redshaggydog

War Hero
Go 18, go early, stay late. In fact stay for as long as you can and make them break your fingers at the gate to force you out after a long career there.

Best kit, more money, lots and lots of fun plus girls love ABC.

tramp_on_chips

Old-Salt
Cant go wrong with an Armd Bde if you like to work, certainly still retains the old, 'work hard play hard' ethic. I find myself in a Log Bde unit now and i really do miss the garages and exercises of an Armd Bde unit, i know a lot of people probably disagree with my take on things. Then again im looking on things with rose tinted specs now, certainly a far cry from schimpfing like a git while i was there. Didnt stop me doing the work mind. Im sure Mech Bde Sqns are the same, what with the two being 43 series equipped units.

After Twenty or so years, and quite a few 'nice postings', it is my opinion that it has more to do with the individual and those you work with which make a good posting.

As with all things in life, one day it will be shite, then it will be worse and before you know it you will be looking back and saying it was great.

Make the most of what you got and avoid getting killed!

Ok, here's my tuppence worth.
After 16 years of all the best postings the Corp has to offer - Herford, Catterick, York , Bulford Triangle etc - I think you know where i'm coming from here. The overriding experience always seems to be that it really is who you serve with and how tight your mothers apron strings are that will ingrain the memory of a good unit in your brain.
No point being posted to the drinking/fanny capital of N. England i.e York if you are going to bugger off home on a Friday afternoon.
If you are single, definately choose a Germany based unit, Bde or Div it doesn,t matter, we are always training/fighting the last war and using eqpt 10 years or more behind our civ counterparts, all else failing a Bde such as 1 Mech (Tidworth) will do, just that little too far away from civilisation for a good number of the unit to bother going home every weekend.
Once your social life is sorted, the rest will take care of itself. Work to live, don't live to work.

Waterloo

Swinger
I have only one or three comments:

1. All posings within the Royal Corps are good, otherwise join the RLC. :?:

2. A posting is as only as good as you wany to make it. :D

3. Never, ever go back to the same place again, it is never the same as you like to remember it. ( 14 and sisters need not reply ). :cry:

Waterloo said:
I have only one or three comments:

1. All posings within the Royal Corps are good, otherwise join the RLC. :?:

2. A posting is as only as good as you wany to make it. :D

3. Never, ever go back to the same place again, it is never the same as you like to remember it. ( 14 and sisters need not reply ). :cry:
1: all postings arent good, there are some right stinkers out there. ask the guys at the log bdes. iv hardly seen those in the "best posting" column

2: the old adage, only as good as you make it... however certain factors make it easier to enjoy, like not being stuck at the arse end of an airfield in the middle of nowhere... doing shifts! like a friend of mine is doing.

3: yeah ill agree on that. i really do miss germany and armour but when i talk about it to other people they say i shimffed like a lil bitch when i was there.

Waterloo

Swinger
I still stand by what i said only for the fact that I spent 7 years in Germany (Lippstadt and Herford) and the furthest I ventured was the RASS.

Then when I went back to Germany a little later I did not get much further due to my own idleness and nothing else.

The point is make the most of whats on your door step.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Officers 2
MuddyOldEngineer Finance, Property, Law 36
polar Army Reserve 23

Latest Threads